The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
only 57's Condenser Microphones
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

How hard would it be to send me a zip or two of all the tracks? I wouldn't mind trying to do a remix for fun. I could post it to the thread.

Brad
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
How hard would it be to send me a zip or two of all the tracks? I wouldn't mind trying to do a remix for fun. I could post it to the thread.

Brad
for you brad, i might... p.m. me if your really interested.... and i'll figure out how to send it!!!
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
for you brad, i might... p.m. me if your really interested.... and i'll figure out how to send it!!!
so i sent brad the files..... lets see what he can do!!!!!!!

btw, in my defense what i posted was a quick ruff!!!! i will also mix the tune properly, and post to compare with what Brad comes up with!!!
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

27 .waves what a pain in the ass.....

time to pay for a file server....
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

check your email......
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

You'll need to use something like yousendit to email all the files. If I get them before 7 pm PST then I can post a mix later tonight since I'm heading out to the studio after I get home from work.

Brad
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe it's just me, but to me it sounds like the band was recorded in the next room, except the vocals which sound okay. I compare it to, for example, the newest Green Day record which has guitars and a sound image that is upfront.

However: if you do a search on the web, you'll find a couple people who have recorded decent sounding tunes using just sm57's, sp yes, it can be done
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Maybe it's just me, but to me it sounds like the band was recorded in the next room, except the vocals which sound okay. I compare it to, for example, the newest Green Day record which has guitars and a sound image that is upfront.

However: if you do a search on the web, you'll find a couple people who have recorded decent sounding tunes using just sm57's, sp yes, it can be done
not sure what you mean??
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
not sure what you mean??

the sound presentation/image sounds far away...as in "not this room, but the next one over"

so...itd be like sitting in your living room and hearing the band come out of the bedroom.
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

thats good man
Old 17th July 2009
Gear Head

Great snare sound on that mix
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Head

Song sounds good and good to hear a full 57 mix. Ave never really understood the quality of them until reading up about them.

When ya talk about Sponge do you mean the kickin pidgeons Spunge. Played with them a couple of times, many years ago. Very tight band.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds pretty cool !! has a real live raw thing going on - 57 for rooms are great a real aggressive focused sound that bites in a good way - I was going to do the same thing but using mackie or behringer preamps
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

I'll apologise ahead of time because I have not listened to your mix, but wasn't there an entire The The record made with only 57's? Maybe Dusk?
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadboy View Post
Song sounds good and good to hear a full 57 mix. Ave never really understood the quality of them until reading up about them.

When ya talk about Sponge do you mean the kickin pidgeons Spunge. Played with them a couple of times, many years ago. Very tight band.
no, the detroit platinum selling band "Sponge" check em out on i-tunes...
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Any news of these completed mixes of these 57 tunes?
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
i recorded this with only shure 57's
lol. I can tell...
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaeridley View Post
lol. I can tell...
your point? is something missing? fuuck
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Just had my bday party at the studio the other day and recorded 4 hrs of jamming with a revolving cast of musicians throughout. Purposely put up only 57's and 56's in case of spillage except mono OH SM81 and kick beta52.

I'll post a mix here of something when I get a chance to actually go through it all.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Cool song, well played.
But I find the phase mess too distracting to form a valid opinion on the sounds. And some weird compression, too. Could be the mp3 process, though.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

I would like to hear this remixed. I think that the guitars are a little too low in the mix and the kick drum could use a little more push / snap.
Perhaps even lower the voice just a tad.

Very commercial and the 57's give it an old school sound on a modern approach. Cool.
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Gotta love the 57

I think this is great

99.999% because you can sing and play so well and the performance is strong

but I think the mix works and I am sure that any engineer worthwhile would have no problems tweaking the EQ to get a pro level mix

Gotta try this myself; my voice never sounded better than it sounds through an SM57 into an RNP, just gotta watch the plosives
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Cool song, well played.
But I find the phase mess too distracting to form a valid opinion on the sounds...
x2

I like the idea of doing an all-57 recording. This one would have been great if the phase relationships were working better. The guitars literally disappear when i mono the mix.

Still, good tune.

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I'm not sure enough of this to draw a conclusion yet, but I'm starting to kind of feel that my room is just not good enough to use LDCs, at least for recording accoustic guitar.
I've had luck in small rooms (before treatment was all the rage) of just deadening the room completely.

Hang thick curtains from all the walls, across all the walls, including the doorways (they sell cheap thick curtains at Ikea that are great for this)

Also use curtain rods to hang curtains from the ceiling as baffles. If you have a hard surface floor, put down a rug...

kill the room.
you can keep your treatment up behind the curtains.

you can always add the ambience back and control it w/ reverbs and IRs.

you wouldn't want the reflections you are getting in a small room anyway.

think about it, a vocal booth is a very small, very dead space.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Song sounds nice bro
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
I've had luck in small rooms (before treatment was all the rage) of just deadening the room completely.
(...)
Quote:
you wouldn't want the reflections you are getting in a small room anyway.
(...)
Quote:
think about it, a vocal booth is a very small, very dead space.
I wouldn't agree 100%.
While deadening may be the fastest, easiest way to get to grips with a small room, proper diffusion can often make them sound better than just plain dead.
And good vocal booths aren't just dead, they're CONTROLLED, accross ALL frequencies. A feeling of (barely perceptible) space actually sounds much more real than totally dry vocals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search