The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Designs REDDI power supply switchable? Direct Injection Boxes
Old 11th July 2009
Gear nut

A Designs REDDI power supply switchable?

Does anybody know if the A Designs REDDI has switchable power, so if I bought one 2nd hand from the USA would it work in the UK (230V) without using a transformer?

I've seen a photo of the back of the REDDI, and there are 3 options mentioned there:

Fuse 1 Amp/120V
Fuse 1/2 Amp/230V
Fuse 1 Amp/100V

However there are check boxes to the left of each the writing, which might indicate each individual unit is fixed, and it's merely giving you the fuse information depending on what voltage your unit is fixed at? Or is it just a matter of using the appropriate fuse for your power supply then plugging it in?

There are "warning" and "caution" messages near it as well, but the photo is too blurred to read what it says. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
Does anybody know if the A Designs REDDI has switchable power, so if I bought one 2nd hand from the USA would it work in the UK (230V) without using a transformer?

<SNIP>
Definitely not a good idea. The REDDI is not switchable, you have to rewire the power supply to accomplish this changeover. The unit is optimized for specific input voltages. Messing around with high voltages inside any tube power supply can be dangerous unless you really know what you are doing!

Brad
Old 11th July 2009
Gear nut

Ok thanks, so the options listed on the back are just to make sure you use the correct fuse according to the voltage that your REDDI is already set to?

I'm definitely not going to be doing any re-wiring myself, and don't want to use a transformer (annoying to have an extra bit of kit to remember on the road!). So I'm going to forget about ordering a US version and go for one from the UK or Europe, if I can find one. Thanks for the info.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search