The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is this you think...format
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

What is this you think...format

It's not a test or anything I'm just curious if any of you were in on these sessions at all or just can tell from listening. I faded it out fast, I don't want to get into any copyright thingie...

This I consider a way huge sound, maybe too huge the kick but I like the openess & hugeness of the whole thing. I'd never pretend to try to record drums but it'd be nice to get it elsewhere. Anyone know the details about this session....2 inch to start, stay, whatever anyone?
TIA!

http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/a/c/acmost/what.mp3
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Guru

Who is the artist?
Old 23rd August 2005
One with big hooves

I'd say the drums are open, natural and tight...huge isn't on the list of adjectives for that song. Sounds like a tiny kick, maybe a 16" or 18".
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
I'd say the drums are open, natural and tight...huge isn't on the list of adjectives for that song. Sounds like a tiny kick, maybe a 16" or 18".
Interesting. Yeah I'd agree with open, natural & tight. Huge is on my list but okay I'll change the adjective to large then regardless of what size kick he played. Maybe it's the cheezy sub I'm listening to.

Shawn Colvin's the artist.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Thats not huge at all... huge is big drums, resonant, compressed, filled out, played hard.

Those drums are quite roomy, played gently. To me they are 'ambient'. Its an easy sound to get with a nice kit + player, good room, and a few well chosen mics, focusing on building the sound from the overhead or 'room' mics, or just trying to get a good sound from a stereo pair anywhere (behind drummers head / front of the kit). Also, removing toms will get that nice tight sound on kits if you are going for the natural room tone, as all toms do is muddy with 200hz ringing especialy in time with the kick.

Kick, snare, hats, one good mic... start from there.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey thanks fo the comments & tips all. Yeah I'd call 'em ambient & roomy for sure.
I don't agree though that "huge" has to be "compressed, played hard..."

I need to listen through something else though I guess, the kick slams my speakers. Okay I'll consider losing the huge word for large.
Old 23rd August 2005
One with big hooves

[QUOTE=amost]Interesting. Yeah I'd agree with open, natural & tight. Huge is on my list but okay I'll change the adjective to large then regardless of what size kick he played. Maybe it's the cheezy sub I'm listening to.
[QUOTE]

This just proves a couple of things. Everyone hears things and describes them in a different way. So the only way to really be on the same page is to actually hear, listen & digest the music so we can be on the same page, or at least the same chapter of the book.

I'm also guessing that your monitors, with the cheese whiz sub are misleading you, and that will have a negative impact on how you hear things and how your music & mixes will translate in the outside world.

As always, YMMV and I still wouldn't call the drums large. Tiny, subdued and totally appropriate for the track are more like it.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

>>>This just proves a couple of things. Everyone hears things and describes them in a different way. So the only way to really be on the same page is to actually hear, listen & digest the music so we can be on the same page, or at least the same chapter of the book.<<<

Agreed for sure.

>>>I'm also guessing that your monitors, with the cheese whiz sub are misleading you, and that will have a negative impact on how you hear things and how your music & mixes will translate in the outside world.<<<

Yeah well now I'm just listening on lousy PC speakers with a sub but I've heard the track many times before.

>>>As always, YMMV and I still wouldn't call the drums large. Tiny, subdued and totally appropriate for the track are more like it.<<<

That's cool. Yeah I think that the drums are subdued & extremely appropriate... yet I'd call that kick large....then again I'd also say that the acoustic guitars on Alison Krauss' last couple of discs were large also & you probably wouldn't call it that. hah. Semantics perhaps. Anyway thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search