The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson In Crime - Anyone here do it?
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear
Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson In Crime - Anyone here do it?

I know that there is a small thread on their newer record. But honestly, I prefer their EP. It is a super dirty punk sound with bass in your face that captures the band better, IMO. Even though Interpol's producer did Elephant Shell, and he is awesome..I still do not think it fit the band as well as the first one.

I was just wondering who did the EP and what kind of gear was used. Especially on the guitars, which sound great. It sounds like a limiter may have been on the drum bus..the drums are nice and dirty too.
Old 10th July 2009
rk.
Gear Nut

The EP was produced, engineered, mixed, mastered etc.. by Jon Drew who also has production credits on Elephant Shell. Can't help with any gear info sorry.
Old 10th July 2009
Here for the gear

Hey there,
I recorded A Lesson In Crime.
It was recorded at a studio called Signal to Noise in Toronto, which is no longer around.
I tracked through API and NEVE stuff and mixed it on an SSL 4000 E/G series console.

The guitars were played through small Fender combo amps, usually several amps at once, and mic'd several times (I like SM57's)

The drums were recorded using preamp distortion, especially on the room mic's which were ribbons.
The rooms were heavily compressed with Distressors.
I used an NS10 woofer as a mic on the kick drum in tandem with a D112 and SM57.
In mixdown I used parallel compression on the kicks and snares but no real bus compression on drums; I used a lot of SSL compression on the instruments.

Bass was tracked using an Ampeg V4 guitar amp with an SM7, a U47 and tube di (can't remember the model).

The vocals were recorded with a U87 and SM7 together with a room mic and a parallel signal from the SM7 run through an amp.

Hope that helps!
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Another fine example of why this is the best forum on the internet.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_drew View Post
Hey there,
I recorded A Lesson In Crime.
It was recorded at a studio called Signal to Noise in Toronto, which is no longer around.
I tracked through API and NEVE stuff and mixed it on an SSL 4000 E/G series console.

The guitars were played through small Fender combo amps, usually several amps at once, and mic'd several times (I like SM57's)

The drums were recorded using preamp distortion, especially on the room mic's which were ribbons.
The rooms were heavily compressed with Distressors.
I used an NS10 woofer as a mic on the kick drum in tandem with a D112 and SM57.
In mixdown I used parallel compression on the kicks and snares but no real bus compression on drums; I used a lot of SSL compression on the instruments.

Bass was tracked using an Ampeg V4 guitar amp with an SM7, a U47 and tube di (can't remember the model).

The vocals were recorded with a U87 and SM7 together with a room mic and a parallel signal from the SM7 run through an amp.

Hope that helps!
That's awesome man..damn. What a great record too..the whole thing drips w/ vibe. You did a hell of a job, and thanks for posting the details!
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
That's awesome man..damn. What a great record too..the whole thing drips w/ vibe. You did a hell of a job, and thanks for posting the details!
Is this the best website on the entire planet or what ???
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear
I know..it's my favorite for sure.
Old 11th July 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

I really like that album too. Thanks a ton man, it means a lot to us proles.
Old 11th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thank you! That really means a lot.
The whole thing was done in 3 days. It's one of the quickest and funnest records I've done. I'm surprised I can still remember the details!
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_drew View Post
Thank you! That really means a lot.
The whole thing was done in 3 days. It's one of the quickest and funnest records I've done. I'm surprised I can still remember the details!
Though I'm not a fan of the band's music, I absolutely love what you did with the sound and the info you provided what extremely valuable! Thanks!
Old 12th July 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks BOWIE. You're welcome!
Old 25th July 2009
Here for the gear

Fantastic record. But I thought Elephant Shell was a great record too. For one, it was a different sound which is always refreshing and second, it's really quite unique. I forced myself to listen to it because I loved the EP so much and after a few listens I got totally into it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search