The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ev re20
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Head

ev re20

Does anybody know anything about this mic ,worth buying for studio, vocals etc?
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

The RE20 is a good mic to have, I feel. It makes a good kick drum mic as well as a good vocal mic (depending on the voice etc. etc.) I would buy it, plus it is pretty inexpensive I think.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Some thoughts on this thread ....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ighlight=RE-20
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Check out the bottom of the B-15 thread above as well.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

It's great on bass cabs, kick drums (look at pics of Bonham) and gtr cabs, vocals, etc.
later,
m
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

RE27

Anybody try the newer RE27?

Read a review of it in Pro Audio Review: PAR - RE27

R.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Rather than start a new thread.

Just aquired an RE20 from a DJ booth...the front of the mic is loaded with,....shall we say....spittle. Need to get the front off to clean it.Does any one know the size of the setscrew that holds it on?? Don't have quite the right size,don't want to screw it up.Thanks,Mario.
Old 28th June 2009

the BIG GREY MIC.....aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

The RE20 is a great mic. A good alternative is the Shure Sm7b. Although the RE20 is better on kick drum the Sm7b does a few things better IMO. I love it on electric and acoustic guitars and it's also a must have for vocals. But then both mics are absolutley worth having.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

i dunno about the RE20... i got it to use as a kick mic, and it gets a 'vintage' kick, but i haven't been able to tweak it to get a more contemporary sound. plenty of 'boom.' if you're going to use it for kick and want a modern sound, plan on blending in a front LDC mic for high end snap.

oddly, i've really liked the way this sounds for vocals. i haven't used it on a bass cab yet, but i can tell it'd probably get the job done there too.
Old 29th June 2009
A great mic.
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
i dunno about the RE20... i got it to use as a kick mic, and it gets a 'vintage' kick, but i haven't been able to tweak it to get a more contemporary sound. plenty of 'boom.' if you're going to use it for kick and want a modern sound, plan on blending in a front LDC mic for high end snap.

oddly, i've really liked the way this sounds for vocals. i haven't used it on a bass cab yet, but i can tell it'd probably get the job done there too.
I use the FOK LDC to capture the low end and the inside for a punch.
The RE20 to me was a fairly neutral sounding mic.
If you need more boom from one mic, try a D12 or an M88.
Old 29th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaqu View Post
I use the FOK LDC to capture the low end and the inside for a punch.
The RE20 to me was a fairly neutral sounding mic.
If you need more boom from one mic, try a D12 or an M88.
Yes, the RE-20 is designed NOT to be boomy - it has no proximity efferct to speak of. It does however, have very good low end extension, making for a good solid but not hyped kick drum sound. (The "American Classic" kick).

Personally, I usually prefer the D-12 (The "British Classic" kick)..... but the RE-20 is an excellent mic and a much better all-around mic (as is the M88).
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

my go to bass cab mic.

nice flavour for electric guitar,

great on screamers.

Love that mic.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Does anybody know anything about this mic ,worth buying for studio, vocals etc?
Yes, it is worth buying for "studio, vocals etc."

One of the classic dynamic mics.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

yes - a classic...if its good enough for stevie wonder then it will be good enough for you and your clients also.....its a little brighter than my sm7 but no prox effect is nice (something you do have to watch with the sm7)....it sounds great on acoustic guitar, horns, toms...i don't like it so much on kick but i am a d112 kinda guy.....you will like it as long as you aren't expecting LDC performance (which i think some people expect from these popular dynamics: re20, sm7 etc)
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear
An Re20 is just one of those things you have to hear to understand.

Sort of like a souped up SM57. It has that same immediacy that a 57 has, gut its a much wider sound. The RE20 and SM7 ran neck and neck for years as the best tool to deliver that deep resonant DJ voice at countless radio stations, and it does the same for a studio vocal.

If I'm cutting a bass cabinet its an RE20 or a D12.

Sometimes its just the right thing for big sounding guitar cabs.

If you need a punchy acoustic (as opposed to the nashville "hihat with chords" kinda thing) and RE20 can deliver.

70's kick (non scooped mids), yes. Floor tom...ungodly.

I think that justifies 300.00.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

RE20 +u87 on kick = Bliss

no need to EQ - just sounds "right"
Old 29th June 2009
dmc
Gear Head

Electro Voice RE20 is the first mic a lot of us should have bought instead of some cheap imitation condenser.

EV re-20 works well all the time on a variety of sources.
  • bass amp (loves 15" speakers, b15)
  • vocals
  • kick
Old 29th June 2009
Jai guru deva om

Ugh, taking a sip of the first morning coffee and reading about "spittle"...yuck.

War
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

The RE20 is an oft-overlooked vocal mic, either live or when recording in loud places, as it is very good at capturing only what is directly in front of it. If you have a poorly treated room, this might be your go-to mic. Sounds great on raspy voices too. But is it good enough for you? Just ask Paul...

or Mick...

...or Stevie!
Old 27th July 2009
Lives for gear

I've been debating with myslef for a freaking long time about which mic to get for my kick and bass amp.

I used to have a D112, I want a new mic now.

I tried the RE20 and I loved it on my kick, it gave me a really "grainy" attack and just enough bottom, I really like it.
On my bass amp though it wasn't clear enough, it sounded too dark, I would like something kindda between the RE20 and the D112, more lows and high then the RE20 but less scooped than the D112.

I've been suggested to try the M88, I can't rent it locally, I have to buy it but I don't wanna regret it so I've listened to some samples and I'm confused.

Does the M88 have more high end definition and more low extension than the RE20, do you think it's what I need?

You know the kind of smooth, overdriven tone in "smell like teen spirit", that's pretty much what I'm trying to do with my svt.
Old 31st July 2009
500 series nutjob

a great must have mic in my humble view.
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

If used on kick with an outside kick mic, does the RE20 sound similar to a D12?
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
I've been debating with myslef for a freaking long time about which mic to get for my kick and bass amp.

I used to have a D112, I want a new mic now.

I tried the RE20 and I loved it on my kick, it gave me a really "grainy" attack and just enough bottom, I really like it.
On my bass amp though it wasn't clear enough, it sounded too dark, I would like something kindda between the RE20 and the D112, more lows and high then the RE20 but less scooped than the D112.

You know the kind of smooth, overdriven tone in "smell like teen spirit", that's pretty much what I'm trying to do with my svt.
Record both a clean DI signal and your SVT with an RE20. then during mix add eq/comp whatever it takes to DI track so you can blend in a bit of extra highs and lows.
re20 is a killer, a classic. you won't regret buying it.
also good on brass, contrabass, percs...
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogaju View Post
Record both a clean DI signal and your SVT with an RE20. then during mix add eq/comp whatever it takes to DI track so you can blend in a bit of extra highs and lows.
re20 is a killer, a classic. you won't regret buying it.
also good on brass, contrabass, percs...
Thanks but I ordered a M88 last week, will have it in a couple of weeks, it's coming directly from germany.

I still have a RE20 that I borrowed though, still use it on kick and I still like it but I find myself eq'ing it a lot to get a rock kick but it sounds nice in the end, it wouldn't hurt to have a subkick to fill the lows though.

Today I heard a D112 reversed in a kick (it pointed at the outside of the kick) and I liked it, I might keep an eye open to see if I can find one used for cheap.

I'll probably end up buying a lot of different mics over time and try them by myself, I can always sell them if I don't like them.
Old 22nd October 2009
Gear Guru
Gotta join in the love fest for the donkey dick.

Very versatile and, IMHO, a must have. There are a number of applications where it might not be be your go to choice, but when you're looking for "something else", it works like a charm. Kick, accoustic guitar, vocals (particularly male loud), trumpets, percussion, guitar and bass cabs, you'll find a ton of uses for it.
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

My desert island mic.
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
Just aquired an RE20 from a DJ booth...the front of the mic is loaded with,....shall we say....spittle. Need to get the front off to clean it.Does any one know the size of the setscrew that holds it on?? Don't have quite the right size,don't want to screw it up.Thanks,Mario.
EEEuuuww, yukk. Dip it in vodka. But I would never get close enough to a DJ booth to buy one of their contaminated mics. The diaphragm is most likely coated with hiuman dtritus too. Send it back to the factory for a cleaning! And don't never kiss it, ya know?

Best way to figure out the screw is looking at it and looking at a screwdriver kit. Prolly a jeweler's kit.

L
Old 22nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dirt View Post
a classic! one of the first mics i purchased and one with which i'll never part

(in response to a 4 year old question...)
For me: THE 1st I bought. And I've still got it today.thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search