The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Randy Turner from Big Boys...RIP
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Randy Turner from Big Boys...RIP

Man, this came out of left field. A huge loss. For those of you that don't know them, or never heard of the Big Boys, you simply can't imagine how great they were and what an influence they were and still are to bands everywhere.
http://www.austin360.com/music/conte...19biscuit.html
later,
m
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

This was very sad news here in Austin. The local alternative weekly (Austin Chronicle) had released a wonderful cover feature on Randy the morning he died. What an epitaph!
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Long live Biscuit! He will be missed.
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Randy was a great singer. May he rest in peace.
Old 23rd August 2005
Here for the gear

That sucks, I think I still have a live video of the Big Boys they were great.I also have a compilation of Texas bands that there on.
Speaking of old Texas bands anybody ever here the HICKOIDS?
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I loved the Big Boys. That was sad news indeed! I listened to Wreck Collection this morning. Randy was so far ahead of his time... or behind it... it's hard to tell.

The Hickoids! Did some gigs with them back in the day. A few of them were later called The Ideals, if I remember correctly.

I remember a gig where Johnny Driver was playing the drums buck nekkid and the cops walked into the joint; without missing a beat, Jeff Smith pulled his prarie dress off (he was wearing boxers underneath) and handed it to Johnny who pulled it on and kept playing.

Then there were the 'Corn Dancers', a couple of nice big (ok, BIG) girls who danced in chicken wire cages.

The stories go on and on and on.....

I loved the Big Boys. That was sad news indeed! I listened to Wreck Collection this morning. Randy was so far ahead of his time... or behind it... it's hard to tell. Tim Kerr was great in that band. I also liked Tim's bands Poison 13 and Monkeywrench.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend
That sucks, I think I still have a live video of the Big Boys they were great.I also have a compilation of Texas bands that there on.
Speaking of old Texas bands anybody ever here the HICKOIDS?
Was that compilation called 'Bands on the Block' or 'Cottage Cheese From The Lips Of Death'?
Old 23rd August 2005
Here for the gear

So were the Hickoids any good live?I only have Waltz Acrossdress Texas and a comp.( maby the same one) with "Animal husbantry" on it allways loved that song.
I think the one I have is Cottage Cheese..... its been a long time.
Whats the band that had t-shirts that said "**** you we're from Texas"?
My best friend wore that shirt for years(in michigan)
I think Texas has some of the best bands ever.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, while the Big Boys were a great band, the Hickoids were more like a great idea. If you like 'em, check out John Wayne from Fresno, CA.

I'm listening to the BB's Wreck Collection all day today. All you guys who haven't heard it should check it out.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I had a cassette of John Wayne in college. Any chance you could shoot me some mp3's? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 24th August 2005
Here for the gear

Vaya con dios

A big loss for Austin. I was in an Austin group a long while back called Retarted Elf and The Big Boys were definitely an influence. We were on a couple compilations with them. Nick from the Houston band Sprawl put one of those together.

RIP Randy
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

RETARTED ELF!

I was in austin for sxsw (96? 97?) and we were behind a car that had a retarted elf bumper sticker. we laughed our asses off and decreed it the best band name ever!

Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

You guys were so much fun, I remember a show at the Ritz that was particularly cool - I recall you opened for the Butthole Surfers (whose "light show" involved old industrial movies about penile surgery). Your horn section was tight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSoWhat
A big loss for Austin. I was in an Austin group a long while back called Retarted Elf and The Big Boys were definitely an influence. We were on a couple compilations with them. Nick from the Houston band Sprawl put one of those together.

RIP Randy
Old 24th August 2005
Here for the gear

haha

Thanks, both of yas. That was the funnest band I've ever been in without a doubt.

Yeah, I lived in LA in the late 80s and remember seeing the Buttholes open for the Peppers at the Palladium, and yes they were showing those hideous films behind them. It seemed like all Gibby did was horse around with his effects rack the whole show...
Old 25th August 2005
Here for the gear

Hey did ******** Elf ever play in MI?I know that name I just don't remember why.I thought maby I saw ya play or heard an album.
Does anyone know Blue October?They put out an album about 5 years ago.
Rev. Royal
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've been out of town for a few days and missed all these responses. I'll just throw a shotgun blast of responses here...try to make sense of it all...

"F you we're from TX" tshirts were probably first on Loco Gringos shirts. Jeff Liles band DDT used that as well. Probably others too as everyone copied that in the mid 80s around here.

Anyone remember Tim's band, Bad Mutha Goose? Great, great, band as well...

Hickoids...good band too from around here. There were so many back then....Gringos, Buck Pets, etc....most of them were mid 80s though. The big boys were the ones that really kicked it all off. Scratch Acid anyone? That just came to mind as I was typing.....

later,
m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search