The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Elvis vocal sound.
Old 22nd August 2005
Elvis vocal sound.

I was enjoying a great documentary on TV called "Elvis - by the Presleys" (available on DVD too)

Seemed like every live TV appearance - his vocal tone was ALWAYS golden.

In the live concerts footage he seemed to frequently use a hand help pencil mic, I wonder if it was a valve Neumann...???

Hail the King!

Here's a shot of him in the studio..
Attached Thumbnails
Elvis vocal sound.-elvis.jpg  
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Golden voice = golden tone. I bet his voice sounded perfect on nearly every mic - maybe except a D112

I grew up on Elvis, because my parents loved him. I had no chance but to love him, too.

Bill
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
In the live concerts footage he seemed to frequently use a hand help pencil mic, I wonder if it was a valve Neumann...???
I believe it was an EV.

ruudman
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Nut

I had the unique opportunity to do a remix of "Burning Love" a couple of years back. I was given just his lead vocal and it was incredible to hear. His pocket/groove was unlike any other I have ever heard and his pitch was dead-on...great voice. There was a TON of bleed too from the drums and piano.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack jonz
I had the unique opportunity to do a remix of "Burning Love" a couple of years back. I was given just his lead vocal and it was incredible to hear. His pocket/groove was unlike any other I have ever heard and his pitch was dead-on...great voice. There was a TON of bleed too from the drums and piano.
fuuck heh
Old 22nd August 2005
urumita

The King
Love him or hate him, that boy could sing.
Love me tender on the movie soundtrack and probably most of the early studio recordings were using RCA compnents valve pres mics ( 2 DX77s in the foto)
there are the sun sessions with Jerry Lee Lewis that are amazing, damn they could both sing.
It seemed like he was always having fun too, untill in the 60's he became "produced"
and lost all artistic control over his career.
how many takes made Heartbreak Hotel? No OD or punch ins, the most you coul hope for was an edit or a pickup.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

I've seen a few TV live clips and using the EV RE-15.

That mic is everywhere on Ed Sullivan too.
Old 22nd August 2005
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Handheld mic

EV used a lot live. Altec used on TV.

http://www.flyingpigmusic.com/altec.htm
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

In the 60's and 70's Elvis used mostly EV RE-15 and RE-16 both for live, broadcasting and in the recording studio.

You could occasionally see him with another mic but it's rare.
Old 22nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

I grew up hearing him croon on my dad's stereo, I would venture to say the mic choice would never have mattered.

War
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Obviously the mics in that picture are RCA 77 (probably DX).

Many of the TV shots I have seen are with an EV of one kind or another.

I have heard that Elvis was actually quite a good guitarist, didn't know he could play it backwards!
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack jonz
Wow! Must have been a wonderful experience!
Old 23rd August 2005
Motown legend

According to Norbert Putnam, he wanted to record exactly as if he was on stage in the middle of the band with a hand-held mike. An EV RE-15 wrapped in foam to reduce hand noise was supposed to be his preference for recording.
Old 23rd August 2005
Yes I saw a shot of him with headphones on in the studio - with a hand held 'stage style' mic...

What a talent...

Old 23rd August 2005
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

There's also a distinct possiblity that early on at RCA they used the EV 635a on a couple of hits. Supposedly one of the AE's (Bill Porter?) liked it on Elvis' voice.

Yet another underated EV vocal mic...

Chris
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I was enjoying a great documentary on TV called "Elvis - by the Presleys" (available on DVD too)

Seemed like every live TV appearance - his vocal tone was ALWAYS golden.

Hail the King!

Here's a shot of him in the studio..
God loves a working man
Old 23rd August 2005
Motown legend

RCA paid 35K but that's only part of the story. Elvis's spectacular success was on the verge of taking Sun Records down because Phillips couldn't afford to press enough records to meet the demand. Don't forget, records are sold on consignment... (Berry Gordy managed to avoid this problem by purchasing 50% interests in several pressing plants!)

Sam Phillips cut a deal said to be in excess of a million with Hill and Range Music for his publishing catalog. This included a plan for Hill and Range to sell Elvis's contract to the highest bidder with the condition that they would split the publishing on every new song for something like five years with Elvis and the Colonel. Phillips may have had an override on the publishing in addition.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search