The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should I move my gear to this new studio to work?
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Should I move my gear to this new studio to work?

A little background on me first.I'm a musician first (like many here)who got into recording 6 years ago.Most of my income is from playing-funk/pop/jazz/church gigs ect.;with partial income from recording.

My current settup is in the basement of the house with 7'
ceilings and mostly carpet.I've got all the basement which is 3
rooms;control room 10'x'15' ,larger tracking room and new
addition 20'x20'.I've got 57s,421s,Royer SF-12,Earthworks QTC1s,
Lawson L47,Neumann M147,Oktava pair,414.pres-9098,sytek,4 Old
School Audio and Mackie all recording to a PARIS system.

Not much in outboard comps-RNCs;also have a KSP8 and UAD-1.

Got a beautiful Yamaha C7 and Hammond C3 with leslie,wurlitzer.

So I've got a buddy who just spent $100,000-$150,000 on building
a studio in a warehouse.Nice control room high ceilings,nice big
tracking room ceilings, 2 iso booths,wood(pergo floor).

He got a Neve VR60,Studer 2" 24 trk,PT mix system.He plans to get
a 1/2" machine to mix to and a masterlink.

Outboard hes got 2 Distressors,1178,2 ADL LA2A copies,DBX stuff
and various other stuff.

He would really love to have a nice piano in there as many other studios around here(St. Louis)don't have one.Being a well-known player in the area I would probably also bring clientel he might not get otherwise;not to mention my mics,pres that he doesn't have.

We talked about if I brought my stuff down there.He was thinking
a straight time trade might work.A certain number of days a month
I could get the studio for free to work on my own cd or other
projects.If I needed more time than that a dicounted rate.

This studio would not have to be booked all the time to sustain
itself as he has a church gig than can pay much of the overhead
and much of the equipment is paid for.I could be doing the
engineering on what I worked on so working on a Neve Vr60 could
be pretty cool and I probably wouldn't be able to do that
anywhere else.

I might keep my PARIS system at home for overdubs and some
mixxing although I'd like to take it to the studio to sonically
compare sometime too.

Obviously,if I worked out of there I would have to work around the studio schedule which I don't have to at home.However,the home studio isn't very isolated from the house and I've got 4 year old twins so I'm restricted there too.No recording after 9:00 or during nap time.

I should add that the owner of the studio is a great engineer who gets great sounds so he knows what he's doing.

Any advice or ideas much appreciated
Pete
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Guru

Whatever you do, make your deal clear cut and in writing. Issues like whether or not you can "roll over" your unused days into the following months can blow up later.

I knew a guy who made almost the exact same deal for his Hammond organ. He took his whole year's worth of credit all in one stretch and the studio owner was so unhappy he went out and bought his own Hammond and gave the guy the boot.

what if the studio is super busy for months? what if you have reserved some time and booked a bunch of expensive session players and then the studio wants to cancel you to make way for a "paying" session?

It sounds like it could be a very good deal, (depending on the number of hours/days you get) but it all has to be spelled out in advance to avoid potential bad feelings.

Also- you say you make a "partial income" from recording. Will you be giving up that income or just moving that work to the new studio?
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks.Things will definitely be in writing.I would make it clear if I've got free time booked it couldn't be moved for a paying session,or there would be a penalty;maybe an extra day of time.

As far as the "partial income"I'm still figuring that out.Some of my clients would come to the studio I'm sure;maybe some might not want the higher rate we'll see.

I'll could also see the possibility of some clients that I might not get at home.The new place definitely looks nicer than the basement studio;whether that means anything or not I don't know.Also there's more space which might be nice.

Pete
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

you posted this over at the paris forums awhile ago didn't you

i may be mistaken but when you did the guy was just starting to build it, i assume now that it's almost done right?
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi David,
You are correct,I did post this on the PARIS forum awhile ago.There are still a few things left to do,but for the most part the place is pretty finished.He's actually already recording some projects and I've gone down a number of times to check out the vibe.

The Studer 2" is almost ready and I want to check that out too.

Pete
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRuthenburg

The Studer 2" is almost ready and I want to check that out too.

Pete
[parisgeek] who needs a studer 2", you have paris!!! [/parisgeek]
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Ah,I hear you fellow PARIS geek;I've thought of that already.Being as I've never really experienced recording to analog I wanted to check it out as an educational experience if nothing else.

Would be interesting to take my PARIS rig in sometime to check the Neve/analog mixes against a PARIS mix.

Can you believe we're having a PARIS discussion on Gearslutz

Pete
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRuthenburg

Can you believe we're having a PARIS discussion on Gearslutz

Pete
...and noone else is reading it or cares...

i just picked up 3 MEC's, 3 eds1000's, 3 C16's, 4 8in a/d cards, an 80 gig hdd, and 4 - 8 channel snakes for $600!!!!!!!!

my setup is rockin now...i love the sound quality for tracking...just sick...and nobody else gets it but me and the other 8 paris guys on this planet.

actually, i'm turning quite a few heads lately with my recordings that i've done with paris...they've compared them to other PT and Cubase recordings and hands down...no questions asked, paris won every debate...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search