The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
what should i buy?
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

what should i buy?

i have an ADA8000 going to an EMU1212M going to sonar and about $150. what kind of upgrade would you all reccomend? should i sell something and buy some other stuff? im kinda looking for some kinda of performance upgrade. maybe so i can use more plugins. i was thinking about a control surface too, i just need some suggestions without spending alot of $$$? would would you all reccomend with my current setup?
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Ooooo $150. How about a pack of Sharpies? A lumbar pillow? Anything by Funk Logic.
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

i said or selling things and buying other things. just looking for options slick, dont get all faggety.
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Don't you just love a good bitch fight
Old 22nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

imloggedin, I think all these guys are tryin' to say is $150 doesn't get much and you also only list a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff you own. I think what you should do is objectively stand back and analyze your rig and what you do with your rig, and then think about the times you say to yourself "I can't do _____ because I lack ______" or "my ______ sounds like **** and it's holding me back".

Then you might find a hole in your rig to fill

OR

you might find yourself $150 richer knowing you don't need anything.

Best of luck!

War
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Yup, what War said. Keep saving, nobody said this would be cheap! good luck
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

thanks war. i know its expensive and i know 150 isnt much, it was just added to my "assets" . really im wondering would you guys start elsewhere. like if i were to sell everything and start over would you buy something else thats still somewhat cheap?
Old 22nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Depends on what the sound is like to you. If you're getting the results you like I say keep it. If you're wanting an upgrade, the first thing I'd ask is how many channels do you need to record at once? Don't know what kinds of mics, monitors etc you have either so hard to know standing here!

War
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

I started just like you 5 years ago. Id recommend selling everything and at least buy A Presonus Firepod. They run for about $600 and you get the recording software with it. Its a good start, then save up for some general mics like sm57's and others. If you want more specific advice visit the LOW END Theory forum, they have tons of info on more inexpensive solutions while you work your self up. And welcome to the fabulose world of "This is the last **** Im going to buy for my studio" which is the biggest lie you will ever tell yourself!!! Take care
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

If you do all your own recording, get a Tranzport. That thing is changing my life!

kelly
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

"i said or selling things and buying other things. just looking for options slick, dont get all faggety."

Nice, man!
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

i have quite a few mics already, and im in the process of getting more but i just want some advice about the other stuff i guess. does the firepod do much better than the ada8000? right now i can record a total of 10 inputs at once and dont think id wanna have any less (for drums). i record my own band wich is a rockish/bluesish sound. the ada8000 to the emu1212 has been working, but its a bit bulky to carry my computer around everywhere. i see that the firepod has a firewire port. how is it as far as preamps go (compared to the emu, supposedly the same used in digidesign stuff)? and the a/d converters compared to the ada8000? i also have a (dont bash me for using the B word gear plz lol, this is my first setup) behringer headphone amp, compressor (dont use), tube preamp. i have event 20/20 monitors powered by a alesis reference amp. a p4 2.5 pc running it all, im not really worried about the pc side though, im a tech and can take care of all that (i know what i need on that end). $600 is alot of money for me though, it would have to be a pretty big upgrade for me to take the time to sell everything and buy that. i guess the question is.. is it?

sorry about all the question.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search