The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My $50,000 studio - what do you think :)
Old 30th April 2003
Here for the gear

My $50,000 studio - what do you think :)

Hi all,

With the $20,000 studio thread having quite a bit of activity I thought it'd be an opportune time to post my $50,000 studio setup - which I am in the initial process of purchasing.

My goal is to have an extremely flexible / high quality tracking / mixing studio. Due to space constraints (my basement) I see myself tracking 2/3 people at the most together - mostly folk/ethnic instruments. As well as the standards (bass/guitar/drums). This is going to be more of a project studio - for my band / friends (I will however be charging them a fee for the final product - depending on hours/effort).

(Note: I had posted this several months ago and have since made some changes).

GENERAL
-------
Furman Power $1200
Racks $250
Patch Bays $400
Headphone System $500

RECORDER
--------
Ensoniq Paris Pro $2000
Recording PC $2000 (Dell Precision 350 - they're extremely quiet)
23" LCD Monitor $2500 (wow factor)
Midi Interface $400

MONITORS
--------
ADAM S-3A $4500

PREAMPS
-------
Crane Song Flamingo $2700
VIPRE $2500
Manley SLAM! $6000 (adding digital io later)

MIC CABINET
-----------
Soundelux E47 $3500
Soundelux ifet7 $2000
Royer SF12 $2250
Josephon C42MP $950
Sennheiser 421 $250
Sennheiser e602 $200
Sennheiser e604 $250
Shure SM57 x 2 $150

EFFECTS
-------
Kurzweil KSP-8 $2500
UAD-1 $700
Korg OASYS Already Have it

PROCESSING
----------
Crane Song Trakker (2) $3800
Crane Song HEDD $3000
Manley MP $3000
SPL Transient Designer $800

As you can see I tried to purchase the best/most flexible equipment possible. I'm not really worried about the ability to record 32-tracks at once - i'd rather be able to record 4-5 high quality tracks.

Also - I'd much prefer to stay digital and am not too interested in purchasing a large desk. Also the rational for purchasing Paris is that it is cheap/sounds good/does what I need it to

Note - i'm going to try and purchase as many of these used as possible - dropping the price considerably. (probably about $5000 total - bringing it down to the lower 40's - hopefully ).
Old 30th April 2003
How to control monitor volume to the ADAMs?

Perhaps a Benchmark DAC-1?

Jules
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
How to control monitor volume to the ADAMs?

Perhaps a Benchmark DAC-1?

Jules
I couldn't agree more Cool looking setup! I'd probably swap Nuendo in for Paris. But that's just me.
Old 30th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
I couldn't agree more Cool looking setup! I'd probably swap Nuendo in for Paris. But that's just me.
I agree with David on this (or even better Samplitude v7.0). Paris seems to be getting outdated, but I could be wrong. Also, unless you are only recording a couple of tracks at a time, I think your preamp selection is a lot thin in amount, especially for $12000 that you've allotted. Those that you mentioned are great preamps, but I think a functioning studio that records drums or ensembles needs 8 preamps minimum, 12 or more is best which you could easily choose from a whole variety of quality preamps for $12K. It depends on what you're doing though, but you did mention drums...
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

and how about wiring and patchbays, maybe allocating a bit more to make sure you don't skimp on quality.

good stuff, i agree with the others about changing from Paris to PRO TOOLS, oops, I mean somethin like Nuendo.

And what about trading down the S3-As for some S2As, etc.
What about waiting on the SLAM or dropping one or two of the big ticket mics, I don't know.
Maybe scale back a couple of the comps or Preamps to get more (quantity), yet still extremely usable stuff and maybe less microphones. You talked about only 3-4 channels yet you have a big list of mics.

I guess I'm trying to say, be sure that you focus on the bread and butter (non wow factor) things, other wise, you'll be 50k in and realize that it'll take you another $5k to get up to usable and flexible everyday spec.
Old 30th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by doug_hti
What about waiting on the SLAM or dropping one or two of the big ticket mics, I don't know.
Isn't passing up the SLAM! considered scarilege in most gearslut countries?

I know it's punishable by being drawn and quartered here.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

loose the paris...

It's a dead format and will most likely give you multiple problems.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Where are the RNC's!!??

Is everything new? And if so, does it have to be?
Personally, if I had £50k to spend, I would enjoy myself and spend a good few K on the one-offs/rarities that no other studio will have...
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Cool setup.

Did you consider buying a commercial studio?
There are a lot of them for sale, as the project/home
studio market, combined with the general
death of the music industry, has really stomped
on billings.

With some management hustle and luck,
your $50K might keep it open
for years, until the music industry revives.
Old 30th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by fishtop_records

With some management hustle and luck,
your $50K might keep it open
for years, until the music industry revives.
Wouldn't it be nice if the music industry revives. I don't know when, if or how it will happen, though...
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Maniac

>>I don't know when, if or how it will happen, though...

It will happen when there is music that people
want to pay for.

That is how, and I'm confident in if.
What I have no clue on is when.
It could be a couple of years, or fifty.

If I could predict which of 2 or 50 it was,
I'd invest one way or the other.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

I like your choice of mics. Nice selection.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Nut

I just put a shopping list together for all the nuts & bolts studio installation stuff and it came to over £3k !!!!

Get a catalogue from your spares dealer & go thru it with a fine toothcomb. You'd be surprised at all the stuff you need to go commercial
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by crispy
I just put a shopping list together for all the nuts & bolts studio installation stuff and it came to over £3k !
Get a catalogue from your spares dealer & go thru it with a fine toothcomb. You'd be surprised at all the stuff you need to go commercial
That kind of stuff adds up fast. It is one of the
prime reasons I suggested buying an
existing, commerical studio, they have
already bought all the stands, clips, and stuff,
and taken the hundreds of hours with the punch down
tool.

It is sad that 50 large is probably not enough
to equip a commercially viable studio.
It isn't like the studio runs itself once
you finish the install. You still have to hustle
clients, bust your rear, etc.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Nut

Three other vital areas not yet mentioned:

Soundproofing - do you have a separate c/r & studio area? Or do you need to keep noise out from surrounding environment?

Acoustics - you may as well buy Muckie & Bearinger gear if you don't have good sounding rooms

Air Conditioning - in a basement, you're going to fry!

My studio budget is about £60k, and nearly half that is allocated to room treatment & fitting out costs. I figured that I would only build the room once, you can't close down and re-do it just like that. But you can always install a new piece of kit anytime!

Of course, if this is already taken care of, then ignore my ramblings.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Head

Maybe I missed it, but what A/dD/A converters are you using with your computer?
Old 1st May 2003
Here for the gear

All,

Thanks for the responses. Like I said - this isn't going to be a commercial studio - more of a project studio for myself/my band. We spent $10,000+ on our band's first recording - and personally I wasn't too happy with the results. We didn't spend enough time getting sounds/mixing - spent most of the time on overdubs.. yadda yadda yadda (I’m sure you've all heard this same story 1,000 times before . I think that with the right equipment / a decent room (which we're building now) / and no "clock" I can get better results at home.

Now for the studio - I'm equipping it to do what I need it do - track a couple of "high-quality" tracks at a time. That's the rationale behind getting a few versatile preamps opposed to a bunch of "one-trick ponies." If I need some more tracks - to record less important things - like the floor tom or what not - I can just grab our band's Mackie and run the outputs direct into Paris.

Based on what I’ve read on all of these boards the underlying theme i've seen is that you get what you pay for (more often than not). That's why I'm willing to skimp on the number of tracks I can record to have a couple of extremely high-quality channels. If I need more I can always add later (with the money coming in from my projects - hopefully ).

In regards to studio construction/wiring - I'm currently in the process of building the studio. I've been reading everything I can about soundproofing/isolation/studio construction. Currently we're building the walls (everything sitting on neoprene) and will be placing two layers of drywall on Resilient Channel off of the walls and ceiling. The electrician has come and up'ed our house line to 200amps - inserting a new ground. Once the walls are up he will come in and put in the outlets keeping the lights / studio equipment on different circuits.

The wiring will be all Mogami - I already purchased some ADC Punch down patch bays + Mogami patch cables (used) and will be purchasing the wiring/Neutrik connectors soon. I will the soldering myself.

About using Paris - Not sure if it makes sense for me to switch over from Paris. For roughly $2,000 I’ll be getting a system that I can record 32-tracks via DSP (unlimited using the PC's resources) on a great-sounding system (comments from the recent DAWSum CD back this up - along with a hardware mixing interface. The other options - Nuendo/Samplitude/Protools are appealing - but Paris seems to do what I need to cheap. Even though Ensoniq/Emu no longer supports Paris it doesn't negate the fact that the system works - and has been working for a number of years There's also a rather large "Paris community" that I can turn to for support - should the need arise.

Thanks for the comments - based on your past experiences do you think i'm heading in the right direction? Anything you see that i'm missing? should reconsider getting?

Jules - thanks for the Benchmark info - looks like it'll be extremely useful - especially if I can use it to switch from my main outs to outs from a CD
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

There are rumors of a native version of Paris, since the company that developed the software is still actively working on it, so that might now be a bad choice. Good luck with it.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

The Spider is a GREAT idea. Plus it would do conversion for you!

For monitoring, I've found THIS BOX:

PVC (PASSIVE VOLUME CONTROL)

All it does is attenuate, and it does so very well! Plus it can handle pretty hot input levels before distortion! And it COSTS under 100!!!!
Old 3rd May 2003
sounds nice.

but why don't you buy 3 19" lcd's for the money of one 23"???

it looks much more "wow, look at the 50 feet monitoring" and you will have more ergonomics because you can have different programs/windows open at the same time, thus switching between them is no more necessary.

regards deft:::
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

Actually I bought 2 21" CRTs for $700 total. Perfectly flat. Big as fugger, but they were so cheap! And the image is so huge!
Old 5th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Actually I bought 2 21" CRTs for $700 total. Perfectly flat. Big as fugger, but they were so cheap! And the image is so huge!
and heavy enough to break your desk.
Old 5th May 2003
good decision!

with the money you saved you can almost buy another highend compressor or pre.

regards deft:::
Old 5th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Someone on a local community message board was selling 2 19" crt's and a 9500 (G4 upgraded) for $400. I didn't have the money...

grudge
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear