The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What kinds of insturments and other noisemakers do you all keep around?
Old 3rd May 2003
Riffer

Yeah, I'm pretty good with changing heads and tuning, but what I'll usually do is change heads the night before a session, crank up the tension pretty high so the heads will get well seated on the rims, and then the day of the session crank them down and tune them - or have the drummer tune them if possible. The drummer in my own band is the one who uses them most often and he enjoys tuning them to his liking, so that's great. Brand new heads usually need to be tweaked a few times during a session if they haven't been allowed to sit for awhile, and they seem to sound best once they've settled in a bit.
Old 3rd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by lflier
Yeah, I'm pretty good with changing heads and tuning, but what I'll usually do is change heads the night before a session, crank up the tension pretty high so the heads will get well seated on the rims, and then the day of the session crank them down and tune them - or have the drummer tune them if possible.
Lee, your dummer knows the trick for seating the heads firmly before the final tightening, doesn't he? Pretty much, it's a matter of applying as much pressure as possible to the center of the head as you tighten it up. I know that when my guy does that as he changes them, we can at least get though a couple of tracks before they go out of tune enough to worry about. They are pretty much settled in - it's kind of like shanging strings, then pulling each one up as far as you can, and then re-tuning. it pre-stretches them.

Of course, it helps that the bearing edges of my kit have been reworked - if you haven't had that done, you should look into it. Up here, Sam Bacco and Steve Clink are the guys to call.
Old 3rd May 2003
Riffer

Oh yeah, our drummer definitely does the whole "pushing the center of the head as hard as possible" trick (and so do I when I change heads), and it definitely helps. It's just always seemed to me that the kit sounds even better when you let it sit for a good while after changing the heads. But then again I am a sick drum fanatic, and probably need help. heh
Old 3rd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by lflier
It's just always seemed to me that the kit sounds even better when you let it sit for a good while after changing the heads.
Bearing edges then - have someone redo the bearing edges of the toms and you'll be amazed.

One of my regular guys just switched his enorsement to Grestch - when his kits came in, they went to the shop before they came out of the boxes.
Old 4th May 2003
Riffer

Yeah, I totally agree... I did the same thing when I got my kit (had the bearing edges redone immediately).

I wasn't just referring to my own kit though, it's been my general experience that a kit just sounds better if you set it up, tune it and let it sit overnight before recording. Not only if you change the heads but even if you just set the drums up in a new room. For quite a few years I thought I was crazy to think this, but then I started hearing a few other people I respected say the same thing. Sure it's not always possible given the situation, and it's probably not true of all drum kits... but I like to do it when possible, it doesn't hurt anything. thumbsup
Old 4th May 2003
Gear Addict

I'm a non-drummer, so could someone indulge me in a quick explanation of the bearing-edges?

Bear
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

I have a whole kit, but most drummers like to use their own and thats fine, but often they will use one on my snares, and while I dont charge for the hire of the snare itself, I do charge for a new head at the start of any new session.

Basicly, they start with a new one, and at the end im left with a new one. (or the money for one)
Old 5th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Gone Fission
I'm a non-drummer, so could someone indulge me in a quick explanation of the bearing-edges?

Bear
The edited version is that the bearing edges are the point on the shell where the head contacts the shell of the tom. If that edge is even and smooth all the way around with the right angle, etc., , the roms ring truer, tune better and pretty much sound a lot more like tims are supposed to sound. The edges that come from the factory are not, in most cases, good enough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search