The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Far Away Iso Booth Opinions...
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Far Away Iso Booth Opinions...

My studio is in a basement. I want to build a booth for tracking guitars and bass. My only option is building it in the garage, which isn't attached to the house.

So the 2 options I can think of is either:

A) Running super long speaker cables and keeping the heads in the main studio and the cabinets in the new garage/iso booth(How long can you run speaker cable before signal degradation?)

B) Using Little Labs STD to extend instrument cables and keeping amp heads and cabinets in the new garage/iso booth(has anyone had experience with the STD? Does it affect tone? How long can you run them?)

Thanks for any answers I may get,

Keith Moore
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Afternoon Bump
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Guru

Are you sure you need a booth? I usually advise against booths unless there's a compelling need, mostly because small rooms sound terrible unless they are treated with serious amounts of absorption. More on that here:

Do I really need a vocal booth?

--Ethan
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Are you sure you need a booth?
I'm actually looking to build the booth for the purpose of scratch guitar & bass takes. Or keepers if the band insists on recording live. The room hasn't been built yet. It would wind up being 1/2 the size of a single car garage.

Thanks for the article too.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Guru

A booth that large can sound okay. But still, any space allocated to a booth is taken from somewhere else making those other rooms smaller. Why not just record those parts in the control room?

--Ethan
Old 7th July 2009
mds
Lives for gear

I understand where the OP is coming from. Having a guitar amp in another room is essential for me. For one, amps sometimes get really loud to get the sound you're going after, and I'd rather not have to work that loud all the time. There's also the issue of hearing what the mic hears rather than hearing the amp in the room...

Your first thought is the way to go. Keep the head in the control room and the speaker in the iso. The power amp can drive long speaker lengths quite well. There's probably some loss in low end due to capacitance of the cable, but not much. Doing it in front of the amp is MUCH worse...

Mike
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Nut

you can run really long lengths of speaker (and microphone) cable without any problem. I do the opposite here...run speaker cable from my studio into my house basement, with miced cabinet.
Works great. It's about a 60 foot run and you can go longer.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
A booth that large can sound okay. But still, any space allocated to a booth is taken from somewhere else making those other rooms smaller. Why not just record those parts in the control room?

--Ethan
In this case the booth wouldn't be taking away from my current room sizes. I've got a control room and a live room in the basement. Was just trying to figure how to acuire another room for recording live guitar/bass amps. The garage is just full of crap right now and not being utilized. Figured I could clean it up and divide it in half to build a room for my guitar/bass amps. Only problem is that it's about 30' away from the house. So I'll have to build some sort of channeling for cables in the ground. Just trying to figure out the best way. Speaker cables seem the best way to me but for the sake of knowledge has anyone had experience with the Little Labs STD running long distances?

Thanks again guys.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear
I think that will work great for you, and thirty feet isn't gonna kill you. If there is a little loss going to the amp you will compensate with the amp set up. Definitely keep the amps in the CR. It saves tons of time.

Ur sounds like the room will be big enounh that the room folding back won't ve an issue.

Try to keep the rooms pretty dead. The reflections will kill you.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Steffmo;4356598Try to keep the rooms pretty dead. The reflections will kill you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I planned on bass trapping all the corners and maybe a diffuser or two
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

You can obtain wire suitable for direct burial if you want to plant the cable in the dirt. Thirty feet is not a problem in length for speaker cables between musical instrument amp heads and speaker cabinets. You're gonna want the heads in the room where you're playing so you can adjust the tone.

I have been recording a new album in a motorhome, the Celestion speakers are down in the basement compartments, with mics on them that feed to the control room in the rear of the RV (recording vehicle). I used 12 gauge wire and made several 50' speaker cables which are driven with Boogie and Marshall 100 watt heads. Each speaker has two mics on it.

I used a lot of packing blankets and dampening material to get rid of reflections and resonances and to achieve isolation between the speakers. So far it's working great.

One caution, tube amps transformer couple to speakers. Guitar amp output transformers don't take kindly to shorts so make darn sure the cables you make are done right, no shorts or open circuits.

Rock on
Old 8th July 2009
Actually, transformers are more tolerant of shorts than open circuits.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search