The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How much do tube mic power supplies affect sound?
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

How much do tube mic power supplies affect sound?

When buying an older tube mic, is the fact that the power supply is not the original an issue soundwise? How much is that affecting the sound of the mic between a modded power supply tweaked for the mic vs. the original tailored power supply that goes with it?
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Guru

Power supplies are very important in all audio gear. How a piece deals with transient information is directly related to the power supply.
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

a friend build his own new PS for his u47. he told me thats better for the lifetime of the tube...
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Good topic.

And that's a great subtopic: Best power supply for a vintage U47. The original or a replacement?

Here's hoping that someone who knows a lot about this subject shows up.

Jasper
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Nut

A tube mic power supply is just a low voltage DC supply for the tube heater, a good smoothed high voltage supply for the polarising and anode, and some interconnections to get the audio from the head to the mic pre.

The tube heater is normally slightly under-run to the specified voltage for the tube and the 'HT' voltage needs to be very close to the design voltage for the mic head; but there's no magic to it, and apart from being sure that there's no hum anywhere, it's not going to affect the sound of the head if it's an original or a home build.
I used to run C12s with home made power supplies (I had 2 that died of old age) and the sound was quite wonderful... as it normally is.

Ted Fletcher
www.tfpro.com
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I think one thing that gets overlooked sometimes is the quality of the audio cable. I've found some differences in sound with different cables on regular mics (without dedicated PS). But don't really get much of a choice if you have to use a proprietary cable.

Another difference can be found if the pattern switching is stepped or continuous.

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search