The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
m-s recording (cardiod vs shotgun)
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Nut

m-s recording (cardiod vs shotgun)

I notice that some people use a cardioid mic for their M, while others will use a shotgun. I'm just curious what is preferable for which type of situation. I assume that a shotgun gives you greater control over separation when decoding? Perhaps a cardioid will deliver a less defined stereo image?

What are some examples when I might want to use one over the other?

thnx.
Old 6th July 2009
I actually prefer an omni as the mid mic, for whatever that's worth.
Old 6th July 2009
Anybody who uses a shotgun for M-S recording doesn't know what they're doing. The mid mic should be either cardiod or omni.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Anybody who uses a shotgun for M-S recording doesn't know what they're doing. The mid mic should be either cardiod or omni.
Hahahaha

Why are you trying to make hard & fast judgments against things you probably haven't tried in one of the most extremely subjective fields there is?

Just saying, it might actually be cool in large spaces from a bit more distance than the usual mid-side (with cardiod or omni). I'll probably give it a shot next time I do some m-s micing.

To answer the OP:

I only really love mid-side (with any mics) if the room is well tuned/balanced. I would try the shotgun from a bit more range than usual to keep from skewing the perspective too much (although it might be sweet pretty close as well...you have to try).

I think switching the mic into omni is great for boomy things or if you are looking for more natural feel to the space.

For most "radio" rock/pop productions I think stereo micing techniques get overused by young/inexperienced engineers...ESPECIALLY on acoustic guitars. What you REALLY want to do in those dense mix situations is to get a really tight double and then also maybe a pair of tight doubles with that in nashville tuning to get that "Big" chorus-y sound...

Thats just my opinion however, and your mile may vary.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search