The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apogee pre-amps
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Nut

Apogee pre-amps

Hello !
(i did a search about this and couldnt find an answer).

I have an Apogee Duet, and just brought an Ensemble.

I was told that they were DIGITAL PREAMPs, that A/D conversion happened before the Pre Amps stage. This doesn't make too much sens to me, is it right?

Also, when I select in Maestro " XLR Line " for my input 1, is it still going through the pre amp? or is it bypassing the Pre Amp ? (What if I want to bypass pre amps frm inputs 3 and 4 ? )

Thanks guys !
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Im not even sure how that would even be possible(the whole conversion then amplification thing). We just got an ensemble after alot of research and from what I gather, apogee set out to make the most transparent pre's they could for the ensemble. Now, almost all of the controls are in the apogee's Maestro software control, but I'm pretty sure they are actual preamps. Pretty good ones too, at least compared to onyx, FMR, and a BLUE Robbie pre.
As far as bypassing the preamp, I believe its like any other unit like this (all in 1 types), you are gonna be running through the preamp, but if you use the gain on you ext. pre, you might not have to gain up the ensemble enough for its pre's to color the signal that much
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl2112 View Post
Im not even sure how that would even be possible(the whole conversion then amplification thing). We just got an ensemble after alot of research and from what I gather, apogee set out to make the most transparent pre's they could for the ensemble. Now, almost all of the controls are in the apogee's Maestro software control, but I'm pretty sure they are actual preamps. Pretty good ones too, at least compared to onyx, FMR, and a BLUE Robbie pre.

Thats the thing, they are REALLY transparent and they are controlled digitally, those are the reasons I have to actually belive about this being true.....

I actually don't care as long as they sound good, which they do, but I just want to be informed and want to know what im dealling with.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

They are preamps controled digitaly, not digital preamps.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Nut

So the other question still is:

when choosing "XLR Line" in input 1 is it still going through the Pre - Amp ?
What would be the way of bypassing the pre amps ?

THANKS !!
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadodetres View Post
I was told that they were DIGITAL PREAMPs, that A/D conversion happened before the Pre Amps stage. This doesn't make too much sens to me, is it right?
^^^ not possible

never used one so dunno if you can true bypass.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Nut

Thats what I belived, but the person who told me this knows a lot about gear and I totally trust what he says in those matters, that why Im asking

thanks !
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
So the other question still is:

when choosing "XLR Line" in input 1 is it still going through the Pre - Amp ?
What would be the way of bypassing the pre amps ?

THANKS !!
Yes, you can completely bypass the preamps by setting the inputs to XLR line in Maestro.
The preamps are the TI PGA2500 chips with +10dB pad, the RME Fireface 400 and the MOTU 828mk3 also use the same chips.
I personally think they are OK but nothing special compared to other IC pres.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats what I belived, but the person who told me this knows a lot about gear and I totally trust what he says in those matters, that why Im asking

thanks !
yea, the reason he probably called it digital because the gain is controlled digitally, so it's not all discrete.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search