The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motu Midi Express XT (Parallel) head aches MIDI Processors
Old 5th July 2009
Here for the gear

Motu Midi Express XT (Parallel) head aches

I have been working on getting this thing installed for roughly 9 hours and I am not having any luck.

----
Motu Express XT Parallel connecting directly to the onboard port of a HP DC7100 computer running WinXP SP3. Loaded the drivers that are on the Motu site as per their directions and the end result is that Protools, Ableton Live nor CueBase with see it as an interface. (note: I really prefer this working in Ableton and not run another host app to get this working)

This worked well on my old G3 blue and white,.. but that system is dead and new mac is well out of my budget.
----

Does anyone have any experience with this POS or should I just sell it to Sam Ash and pick up a midisport 8x8 USB?
Old 6th July 2009
Here for the gear

I have a MOTU Micro Express parallel and it took bit of fiddling to get it working. Check your PC BIOS parallel port settings and try switching them around (ECP or SPP type. SPP worked for me). You also MUST make sure the thing is turned on before the computer BIOS posts up.
Old 24th January 2010
Gear Nut

MOTU MIDI interfaces are garbage.

I've owned four of them. a MIDI Express, MIDI Express XT and two MicroExpress parallels.

The big problem with the interfaces is not the hardware, it is the horrid MOTU drivers and the lack of downloadable manuals.
It is almost unbelievable MOTU charges money for some cheesy manuals most manufacturers provide for free download... how greedy can you get?

I currently have a MicroExpress interface and i was never able to get it working on two different installations of Win XP SP2.. despite trying several parallel interface combinations on my PC's BIOS. I also had another MicroExpress interface which ended in the garbage after it failed to work properly. I was never able to get the software for that interface to properly work either.
The MicroExpress interfaces are junk. You get what you pay for.

The bigger, more expensive interfaces are fine, if you are lucky to get the drivers to work in your OS. MOTU are infamous for their horrible customer support and for ditching their older interfaces.. they just don't bother to fix their older drivers to work with newer OS releases.
If you think M-audio's drivers are bad.. you should try MOTU!

If you currently own a MOTU MIDI that works on your computer, don't even think about upgrading your OS, because MOTU may never provide newer drivers that work.. (if they provide them at all!)

I am going to ditch my almost useless MOTU microexpress parallel and purchase an Steinberg MIDEX 8.. i hope i never have to purchase a MOTU interface ever again!
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

Although I have 2 Midex8s and love them - Steinberg is worse than Motu on not upgrading drivers. The midex8s will never go past XP on the windows side. No 64 bit drivers will ever be made. Lots of hoopla on this one on the Steinberg forums. Users begged for new drivers or even the info needed to write new drivers as the userbase has some programmers. The result - No Luck. Buy a new interface.

-Tom
Old 24th January 2010
Here for the gear

i'm still using a motu midi express parallel, i use it with a pci to lpt adapter. works on my intel q6600 system with windows xp, but not without tweaking and the device looses communication with the pc. i don't know much about the midisport, but skip the motu parallel.
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

I can vouch for the fact that when you've had one running on an OS, don't bother trying to upgrade the OS. I have a MTP AV running on Win98. I once tried going up to XP, but never could get it to work.

The good thing is that it's rock solid on 98, but it's somewhat disconcerting knowing that as long as I use this interface, I'm stuck on using a Win98 computer.
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe a USB interface would be a modern way to go? Parallel ports are very 1990s.
Old 25th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj777 View Post
MOTU MIDI interfaces are garbage.

I've owned four of them. a MIDI Express, MIDI Express XT and two MicroExpress parallels.

The big problem with the interfaces is not the hardware, it is the horrid MOTU drivers

...[snip]...

Win XP SP2

Seeing as I've used three different MOTU MIDI interfaces over the past twenty-plus years with nary a hitch -- including two of the models that you mentioned -- I think it's pretty safe to say that your categorization of MOTU's quality is, at best, limited to their PC drivers. Not trying to turn this into a "Mac versus PC" issue, just pointing out that MOTU started as a Mac product, and if my experience with their hardware and drivers running on Macs is any indication of their engineering skill, know-how, and customer service, they nailed it.

Though I guess it shouldn't surprise me that different platforms yield 100% opposite experiences...
Old 25th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
Although I have 2 Midex8s and love them - Steinberg is worse than Motu on not upgrading drivers. The midex8s will never go past XP on the windows side. No 64 bit drivers will ever be made. Lots of hoopla on this one on the Steinberg forums. Users begged for new drivers or even the info needed to write new drivers as the userbase has some programmers. The result - No Luck. Buy a new interface.

-Tom
Well, i just won an auction for a MIdex 8 pretty cheap..
i am running Win XP, and i have no plans to move anytime soon..there is no real advantage of running 64-bits unless you have a PC with an ungodly amount of memory..
i just want a stable environment, so i am sure the Midex will work for me.
Old 6th November 2011
Here for the gear

Motu xt - parallel

I have a MOTU XT - Parallel. It's running on IBM pentium duo. Yes, they are tricky, but some of us cannot just run out a buy more gear (even on eBay) whenever we want. Two things to remember! The documentation (V2.51) say s set hardware (devices/Printer Port) to "Try not to use IRQ". In my case that was the wrong answer. I set to "Use Any Interupt assigned to the port and checked the "enable legacy Plug & play detection. In my experience, the IRQ and the cable are the two biggest culprits. In bios, use bi-directional or EPP if these are an option. Some parallel cables are pinned "straight thru" and some are pinned "crossed". If you have 2 parallel cables, try putting both on together with a changer. If it is crossed, two of them will change it to "straight thru" which is the difference with the orig. MOTU serial cable. For all you "earth friendly folks" throwing away, is not always the best option. Hope this helps. Get out from under the hood, and make some MUSIC! - STM
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone had any joy on running 2 of these together?

i have one, and it works fine, im thinking of getting a pci parallel card and another box. and putting another one in to give me 256 in total.
i cant see there being a problem if there are being ran on differant irq's, but its a motu. so i thaught i would ask on here before i try it.
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Addict

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just got one of these, and am trying to get it running on my Windows XP Cubase 5 system. and its proved a week long nightmare so far!

I have followed the parallel port and IRQ setting tips, and it recognises the MIDI device and can run Clockworks etc. but does not seem to run smoothly at all - i.e. as soon as a couple of channels of midi data are runnign through it it starts to drop beats, chug along and cut out the sound, generally glitchy and unusable. I have tried loads of combinations of midi timecode, cubase sending it to the MOTU, the MOTU sending it to cubase etc. and cant seem to make it work with any stability.

Anyone got any ideas before I cause my brain to blow a fuse? You'll accrue some serious Karma
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmaster View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just got one of these, and am trying to get it running on my Windows XP Cubase 5 system. and its proved a week long nightmare so far!

I have followed the parallel port and IRQ setting tips, and it recognises the MIDI device and can run Clockworks etc. but does not seem to run smoothly at all - i.e. as soon as a couple of channels of midi data are runnign through it it starts to drop beats, chug along and cut out the sound, generally glitchy and unusable. I have tried loads of combinations of midi timecode, cubase sending it to the MOTU, the MOTU sending it to cubase etc. and cant seem to make it work with any stability.

Anyone got any ideas before I cause my brain to blow a fuse? You'll accrue some serious Karma
you can run the drivers and get it to work with cubase(i can do it with the 5VST one you should beable to do it with the SX veriety), the problem i had was running the s/w midi console on the xp platform. to do outside of cubase patching. which clockworks dosen't do. which was somthing i needed for running outside of cubase program editors.

if your not doing any programming. it will work through cubase.

i cant understand why moto never developed the patching software console for the wddm drivers they made. only clockworks works with that. and imo clockworks is S**T! not designed for the device in question.
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Addict

Thanks for your reply mate.

It does work in Cubase (recognises all ports etc.), its just very glitchy!
Is this a timecode matching problem or is that a red herring?
I dont care about timecode synch, I just want to be able to sequence and play my synths form cubase, but its not much fun when stuff is dropping out all over the shop!
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmaster View Post
Thanks for your reply mate.

It does work in Cubase (recognises all ports etc.), its just very glitchy!
Is this a timecode matching problem or is that a red herring?
I dont care about timecode synch, I just want to be able to sequence and play my synths form cubase, but its not much fun when stuff is dropping out all over the shop!
i had no problems or glitching with xp & tried with an unbelevable ammount of poly. im going to be trying the New Technology platform. hopefully there will be no bugs. *fingers crossed*
Old 23rd April 2012
Here for the gear

New Technology Platform?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search