The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Am i making a mistake? (SELL my 1xdistresor for a fatso)
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Am i making a mistake? (SELL my 1xdistresor for a fatso)

Hi!
I mean i was thinking about buying another distresor for stereo and i know its a less adjustible interface on the fatso but still...2 compressors and the analog warmth.

What do you think?
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Bumpy?
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

funny you say that as the empirical lab is actually not so analog in the guts as some other mahines. It is chip based.
But if it works for you and if you hear that warmth... then go for it but don't burn yourself

Oli
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Guru

The fatso may be versatile for certain things, I find the distressor much more versatile as a compressor.

I can't use the standard fatso as a compressor. It doesn't do it for me.

Now the UBK fatso is a different story. Very usable.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replay..i Have seen the ubk version,and it is amazing tho i havent got whats the diference between an il fatso and the ubk.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
Thanks for the replay..i Have seen the ubk version,and it is amazing tho i havent got whats the diference between an il fatso and the ubk.
Same question bump.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Guru

The differences are exclusively in the compressor section; I tailored mine to be more in line with the kinds of compression that came into vogue well after the classic Fatso was developed. The ELI Fatso is intended to be an analog tape simulator, and the compressors were developed to work in conjunction with the other parts of the circuit --- harmonic distortion & saturation generator, warmth control, and transformer emulation --- in ways that get at the kinds of sound you typically associate with analog tape.

I repurposed the compressors so that they now work with pretty much any source you feed them, and they stay intact no matter how hard you push them. Some (iow, me) would say they just get more and more interesting the more they clamp down. You can do absurd amounts of gain reduction and they never pump or crap out. My Smooth preset was designed specifically for tracking, Splat and Glue were for mixing, but people are using all of them in every way conceivable and finding that they usually work.

The general consensus is that the ELI Fatso is an analog tape simulator that offers application specific compression(like Buss), while the UBK Fatso offers seven universal no-brainer compressors that also have some qualities of analog tape.

Also, Dave's is black and mine is brown. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 6th July 2009

Keep the Distressor.... and get another when you can.
Old 6th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by The True Buck View Post
WTF??? I think the OP's question is totally valid, especially on a board like this. Your answer - however- isn't very constructive or helpful.

I myself am thinking of getting a distressor for more control while tracking in mono, and keeping my FATSO for other things such as warming up synths, 2-buss...

Aren't we all here for these kind of questions, and because we love reasons to buy more slutty gear?
It's a totally silly question. There is no either/or here. the obvious answer is BOTH.

And because the answer is so obvious, I see no reason to even ask it. It;s like asking "should I trade my mashed potatos for some green beans?"

d'oh!

You know, the idea of actually getting rid of gear never even crosses my mind in noirmal circumstance. Maybe if somebody is offering real money for some old junk I never use anmore (PM-1000 anyone?) I might think about it if I need the money for something useful, but even so I don't generally ever get rid of gear voluntarily. I don't understand why some people are always swapping one thing for another - doesn't make sense.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I phrased it wrong, sorry. What I meant was: and STILL keeping my FATSO. For sure I won't sell the FATSO, but I might also get a distressor.
The FATSO would be the first piece of gear that I would hide in my girlfriend's apartment when the tax office come knocking on my door. No one is taking it away from me!

I'm also extremely interested in having it modified by UBK, but I'm in Europe...
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
It's a totally silly question. There is no either/or here. the obvious answer is BOTH.

And because the answer is so obvious, I see no reason to even ask it. It;s like asking "should I trade my mashed potatos for some green beans?"

d'oh!

You know, the idea of actually getting rid of gear never even crosses my mind in noirmal circumstance. Maybe if somebody is offering real money for some old junk I never use anmore (PM-1000 anyone?) I might think about it if I need the money for something useful, but even so I don't generally ever get rid of gear voluntarily. I don't understand why some people are always swapping one thing for another - doesn't make sense.
I really dont care about what you just said ,make a long story short,if you have nothing useful to say...Do not interrupt the people who are trying to help and stay away from MY threads.
Thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search