The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Different length balanced cables for 2 powered monitors
Old 4th July 2009
Here for the gear

Different length balanced cables for 2 powered monitors

Hi guys!

Is it critical for sound and stereo image, if I'll make a cable for one monitor shorter than for another for about 2 meters? will I hear a difference? used balanced connections. Thanks!

Max
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

there might be a tiny difference but your not likely to hear it.
i never have but why not make them the same lenght and coil the long one, then you won't imagine stuff.heh
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello! View Post
Hi guys!

Is it critical for sound and stereo image, if I'll make a cable for one monitor shorter than for another for about 2 meters? will I hear a difference? used balanced connections. Thanks!

Max
You are talking about the Balanced Line input of the amp, NOT the speaker cable..right?
If so, you will not notice any difference...
If it was speaker cable YES...
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
You are talking about the Balanced Line input of the amp, NOT the speaker cable..right?
If so, you will not notice any difference...
If it was speaker cable YES...
I think he has powered monitors so the amp is in the Monitor. - I've always wondered this.

I imagine the lag would have to be in the nano seconds. or less! which is probably negligable.

but don't quote me on that.
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

According to this article

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/reso....php?id=192532

Quote:
the voltage pulse has taken 1 microsecond to travel the 200 m along the wires.
compare this with say sampling frequency. at 44.1 kHz ie 44.1 thousand samples per Second.

= 44.1 samples per millisecond.
so
0.0441 samples per Microsecond.

and the above is for a 200m cable. so for 2m difference do you then divide again by 100? (im not entirely sure)

but it seems like the difference will be of the order of Clock jitter in AD conversion so techincally it might make a difference but I doubt you would hear it.
Old 5th July 2009
Here for the gear

Thank you guys! I made a balanced cables for one guy, he asked to make one cable 2m long and other 4m long, because one of his powered monitors placed very close to audio interface and he wouldn't to buy 2 meters extra for it heh I told him that there could be delay for 1 monitor and he decided do not economy on that))
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear
Glad to see it got sorted.

But, you wouldn't notice a difference until you're working with really long distances.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search