The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
telecaster deluxe???
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Maniac

telecaster deluxe???

how do the telecaster deluxe compare to les paul standards???

and to standard telecasters????

what kind of sound should I expect from the deluxe telecasters??

Im interested in these guitars since I love the fender sound, but I need hotter mics.

Im looking for a fender with a punchier sound, more midrange.

Is this the guitar I need?

Im looking at 70s models.

any experiences???
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

try a jazzmaster instead. More personality

Oli
Old 4th July 2009
What kind of Telecaster Deluxe are you talking about? There are several models, all quite different from each other.

None of them are anything remotely like a Les Paul, aside from the fact that both have 6 strings and 2 pickups.
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

talking about the 70's deluxe with strat neck and 2 humbuckers I guess.

Oli
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorstua View Post

Only you can go and answer that- in my experience though if you're lusting after a Tele Deluxe, you need to buy a Tele Deluxe. Sound has nothing to do with it. Most electric guitars consist of some wire stretched over a lump of wood...there aren't that many variables.

Decent amps affect the sound more than most guitars above a certain level of quality imho.

Also- and this is my own personal bugbear- there is a whole world of guitars out there, yet most guitarists don't see beyond Fenders and Gibsons. Like- being adventurous would be trying a Jag or a Mustang or something. We are a weirdly conservative bunch!

I've still got a strat, but I never play it these days...just SO boring...
Old 4th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by la grange View Post
try a jazzmaster instead. More personality

Oli
Or a Jaguar. Though they are rather confusing with all the switches.
Old 4th July 2009
Deleted User
Quote:

and to standard telecasters????

what kind of sound should I expect from the deluxe telecasters??

Im interested in these guitars since I love the fender sound, but I need hotter mics.

Im looking at 70s models.

any experiences???
first there will be a difference in sound, tighter low end and a bit more sparkle on the top just due to the longer 25.5" scale of a fender vs the 24.75" on a gibson.

if the back bridge) pickup is a single coil (like std Tele) it will sound like a std tele when using that pickup ..I am quite sure they were not hotter. if it is the two humbucker style it will be hotter and darker than a std Tele and a bit brighter than a Les Paul and have about the same output as a les paul. the front (neck) pickup will be louder than a std tele or strat and be much fatter. more like a Les Paul but with a bit of that fender definition.

the neck material (usually maple) will also brighten it up over an LP.

bottom line is you have to use it .. there are many differences and in a '70's GTR you are getting into the 'sales mojo' area...do your research as to REAL resale value (not GC WAY inflated prices on 'vintage') buy it right and you can sell it if you don't like it....personally I know of very few that have made this their main gtr. I had one with the single coil (std) pickup in bridge position and it was #9 on the list after 2 LP's 3 std tele's a strat and a few parts guitars I built. there was toooo much difference in the sounds of the front and back pickups.

bottom line #2 try the strats with an HB in the bridge.. they don't sound so bad.. have better all around sonic balance and the bridge pickup can be easily swapped to an aftermarket pickup if you want to tweek.. and they are easy to sell if you want to get rid of

my 4 cents worth
Old 4th July 2009
try the tele custom too... HB on the neck, so you've got that plus the middle position (HB+SC which might be the tone you're after) or full-on tele twang on the bridge.

the deluxe is terrific, I've got one, but the sound is a bit muddy until you switch out the pots - they really need 500k, but stock are 250k.

and yes, it's probably worth looking at other makes, too, as has been mentioned! G&L, Godin, even smaller manufacturers might have what you need...
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

i like teles, but strats with hums in the bridge are hard to beat for sheer versatility.
strats can be whiny as hell in the bridge single coil, swap that for a humbucker and a coil tap and bam! workhorse.

i have teles for tele work, LP's for grind and punch. strats can cover most anything. i mainly play ibanez shred axes, but have specialized axes for specific tones. archtops, lipstick pickup equipped axes for dano tones, etc.

i definitely agree with replacing the 250k with 500k. i do this on all of mine. gets the quack and punch of single coils to pop out more from fenders.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
are you talking about the tele with the dual hums?

i was going to say, you could put the same pickups in the two diff guitars and still come out with a very different sound. the les paul is mahogany and the teles are usually alder.

are you in the market for a tele with a meatier sound? really, if you like the sound of both a tele and an lp, you have to get both.
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I thought the deluxe model always came with two humbuckers and that the custom one brought a humbucker on the neck and single coil on the bridge. am I wrong??

anyways, good info. Thanks. Im now considering a trad tele. Guess ill stick to the classic sound for now.
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I thought the deluxe model always came with two humbuckers and that the custom one brought a humbucker on the neck and single coil on the bridge. am I wrong??

anyways, good info. Thanks. Im now considering a trad tele. Guess ill stick to the classic sound for now.
There's a Tele custom and a Custom Tele...can't remember which was round it is, but one is a regular Tele with binding- from '59 onwards, and the other one is the Humbucker in the neck one you mentioned

Not sure what the 'other' Tele deluxe is. Some horrible eighties Floyd rose thing maybe?
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM'Geek View Post
Not sure what the 'other' Tele deluxe is. Some horrible eighties Floyd rose thing maybe?

Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

you're absolutely right Jorstua,
There is only one deluxe 70s and that is the double humbuker, start neck with the big headstock.
Lots of other teles have enjoyed the name of deluxe but not from that era.
there is still one I think on the catalog these days, the one with scalloped inner body. Keith Urban has a couple of those.
the sound of those is very similar to the thinline 72 but with more mid and sustain.
As you were hesitating between this and les pauls, it is not the same vibe at all. Not as much output as a gibson humbuker. And long way away from the standard tele.
No words will be as helpful as a play with the instrument.
What sort of music do you play? what amp?

Oli
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

thanks la grange. right now im into what some people call american "trad rock", think kings of leon. I also play some heavier riffs, think white stripes/the raconteurs.

Im looking for a fender with more output. More output with some of that fender twang. Right now, im thinking about sticking a couple of p90s in my current tele standard. I tried the korean model with p90 and liked the vibe.

Do you know of any higher quality teles with p 90s????

any experiences with p90 teles??

thanks
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM'Geek View Post
Only you can go and answer that- in my experience though if you're lusting after a Tele Deluxe, you need to buy a Tele Deluxe. Sound has nothing to do with it. Most electric guitars consist of some wire stretched over a lump of wood...there aren't that many variables.

Decent amps affect the sound more than most guitars above a certain level of quality imho.

Also- and this is my own personal bugbear- there is a whole world of guitars out there, yet most guitarists don't see beyond Fenders and Gibsons. Like- being adventurous would be trying a Jag or a Mustang or something. We are a weirdly conservative bunch!

I've still got a strat, but I never play it these days...just SO boring...
you must be a drummer if you cant hear the difference between guitars...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search