The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
Rob/John. Did MJ have a preference for a specific mic? He obviously wasn't a gearhead, but what about his voice? Did he take any extreme "care" of that?
I heard he sang to Shure SM7B...
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Damn, Sirs!

Incredible!

Thanks for the stories and commentary.

I was ignorant of the things done behind the curtain.

Thank you, Thank you!
Old 1st July 2009
DDD
Gear nut

Thanks guys!
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Thriller & Westlake Studios

Notice the curtains?
Attached Thumbnails
Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album-westlake-studio-.jpg   Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album-thriller-outboard-gear.jpg  
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Amirian View Post
I heard he sang to Shure SM7B...
On HIStory we mostly used the Sony C-800G. Yes, the Thriller mic was an SM7b. On Earth Song we used a U47 because MJ had started the song with Bill Botrell and wanted to use some of those vocals as well. We went through every U47 the Hit Factory had, and some rentals, to find one that matched Bill's.

All vocals when I was there went through Neve 1084's into an 1176 (silver face BTW), set to just move the meter at 20:1.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Amirian View Post
Is there any recording of his beatboxing?!

You can hear it on his tracks. I know it's on "Too Bad", and "Tabloid Junkie". The most prominent would be "Stranger in Moscow".
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

please, let's not focus on the negative...please.

MJ brought so much to music!!...he was a huge inpiration to so many here!

..STORIES!!!!...

A big cheers to that man!
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Just wanted to add my thanks for this incredible thread.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Does anyone know to what degree MJ actually sang live and how much was lip syncing? Every live performance just sounds so perfect, even the ones where he isn't dancing (and could theoretically have sung live).

I'm no expert- but I've been picking up where my childhood Jackson obsession left off over the past few days, and it appears that outside of that motown tv special most stuff up until the nineties has live vocals- see the bad tour footage from Japan on youtube etc.

At the point where tapes were providing all the bvs- that's when it started sounding less interesting. He may have been singing SOMETHING live- but often not the lead vocal I guess
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

I think Bruce said it was the original SM7, not the SM7B.
Old 1st July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
I think Bruce said it was the original SM7, not the SM7B.
If I'm not wrong the sm7b didn't excites in that time of beautifully music making history. Only the sm7.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

This has to be one of my top 3 favorite threads... I got the chills reading these stories... Please keep them coming...
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
On HIStory we mostly used the Sony C-800G. Yes, the Thriller mic was an SM7b. On Earth Song we used a U47 because MJ had started the song with Bill Botrell and wanted to use some of those vocals as well. We went through every U47 the Hit Factory had, and some rentals, to find one that matched Bill's.

All vocals when I was there went through Neve 1084's into an 1176 (silver face BTW), set to just move the meter at 20:1.
cool to Know I have the exact same vocal chains!! (except for the silver face
thx for the info
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Awesome thread. I absolutely love reading about this stuff! Thanks guys.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, great story's. He was a huge talent and it's a huge loss for the music world. I wish more artists had this kind of drive and work ethic, myself included.
Old 2nd July 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Thank you Rob, John, Bruce and everybody I forget for these great stories
They bring back good memories of what Michael was really about

You guys rocked the world (still do) and deserve major respect
I've ordered most of the albums again because I lost them thru out the years and cant wait to study them al over again with al this new information

Thanks again for helping me and lots of people thru good and bad periods in their lives
It really shows the power of music created by Michael and his crew thumbsup

Rest in Peace Michael Jackson
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can hear it on his tracks. I know it's on "Too Bad", and "Tabloid Junkie". The most prominent would be "Stranger in Moscow".
Man...those sound like a drum machine. Very very nice processing (and I wouldn't be surprised if there was hardly any processing on them)
Old 2nd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
Thank you Rob, John, Bruce and everybody I forget for these great stories
They bring back good memories of what Michael was really about

You guys rocked the world (still do) and deserve major respect
I've ordered most of the albums again because I lost them thru out the years and cant wait to study them al over again with al this new information

Thanks again for helping me and lots of people thru good and bad periods in their lives
It really shows the power of music created by Michael and his crew thumbsup

Rest in Peace Michael Jackson

Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

*** Thanks to all who have share their memories of MJ with us. ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
My favorite song on that album was Human Nature...what sonic glory!
+1

Question about that song, there is a high-pitched, "toy piano" counter melody in the song. Who created that part and how was it settled to go with that instrument? I always thought it was odd, cool, and creative.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bruce told me there were something like 81 mixes of Billy Jean, and after all that they used one of the first versions
That is so true, first takes are the keepers!
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
Man...those sound like a drum machine. Very very nice processing (and I wouldn't be surprised if there was hardly any processing on them)
The "stranger in moscow" track starts with MJ's beatbox by itself. Andrew Scheps spent some time dropping the original beatbox into the synclav and chopping all the middle bits out. I can't remember if it was from a micro-cassette or not, but there was lots of background noise. Not much processing after that.

On tracks like "Tabloid Junkie" and "Too Bad" there are beatbox loops all over the place. Either things MJ had sung into a micro-cassette or during vocal takes. Again, very little processing beyond chopping and looping.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Either things MJ had sung into a micro-cassette or during vocal takes.
What kind of tape did he use?

Just kidding, just kidding.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
What kind of tape did he use?

Just kidding, just kidding.
I like that !! Ideas with Michael came so quick that we had many micro-cassette recorders in every room so that pretty much every thing he said was recorded somewhere.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

By the way, I agree with Rob that there were some great musical pieces on HIStory. It was a bit of an odd project, as (I believe) it started out as a greatest hits package, with (presumably) a couple of new numbers, but along the way, Michael got inspired to make it a two disc project, one being greatest hits and the other being new material (Rob, since you were involved much earlier than me, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

My favorites on the album were Stranger in Moscow (one of MJ's greatest tracks of all, in my opinion), Smile, Money, Earth Song, They Don't Really Care About Us and the title track. Speaking of the title track, HIStory, there is one kind of special thing about that for some of us. At Michael's request, Matt Forger, another engineer working on various parts of the project, put together an aural collage of all of us reciting various famous dates in time. One by one, he would grab us with his portable recording rig and give us two or three lines...I'll have to listen to the record to remember what my lines were, but when you hear those voices, they were actually spoken by all the people working on the album. So, I must say it's an honor to hear my own voice on a Michael Jackson record, along with the many others who worked on the project.

I ran into a person yesterday who had been working on some of the technologies for the upcoming live shows and said they were groundbreaking and amazing. It's totally like Michael to always keep pushing for better, better, more, bigger, better! CNN is now running a clip of recent rehearsals for the show, and while Michael doesn't seem to be in total performance mode, it makes me sad that the show didn't go on as planned. I think it would have been tremendous.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, I just saw the rehearsal footage from just before he died on TV, and at the end of the clip he gives this smile that is just absolutely haunting.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
By the way, I agree with Rob that there were some great musical pieces on HIStory. It was a bit of an odd project, as (I believe) it started out as a greatest hits package, with (presumably) a couple of new numbers, but along the way, Michael got inspired to make it a two disc project, one being greatest hits and the other being new material (Rob, since you were involved much earlier than me, please correct me if I'm wrong here).
That's correct. What was a few new songs turned into a whole CD. We cut about 40 songs to get the 14 that are on there.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear interested

Thank you!

When I was about eight, I was in the car with my cousin when Black and White came on. I'd always loved music, but this was my first really clear memory of wanting to hear more from a particular artist, really wanting to learn the song. MJ was the first clear player in this love affair I have with a little thing called music.

Rob, Resonator, Thank you so much for that insight and those stories about MJ.
When you spoke about how he could give you every note of every chord and just put the songs together, it just filled me with such joy. I remembered seeing him do some of that in the Oprah interview and being blown away - a true master of his art. To see it in person... must have been awesome in every sense of the word.

I know I'm rambling, but thank you for sharing your wonderful stories. thumbsup
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Hey y'all..

what was it like working with Rod?

how is he as a songwriter?

His writing is bar none, but he's always looked over.

What were the dynamics btw him and mike and quincy?
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks at lot, guys !
I'm happy to read your stories, they're really amazing !

Nobody involved in music/show/recording business can ignore MJ contribution... and you tell that so well ! Merci !
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Excellent thread. Thanks to all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search