The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album
Old 30th September 2009
Here for the gear

I would have liked to have met Michael Jackson, and shaken the gentleman's hand..He was an inspiration for a lot of people with his music..

stike
Old 30th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWho View Post
that seems to be the consensus so far. as it includes the brothers on background it's likely an outtake from Triumph which has been reworked
It could've been an outtake from Triumph but I am thinking that it probably wasn't. Don't forget that around this same time, Little Susie, Much Too Soon (figured to be early version of Gone Too Soon), and another song (can't seem to remember the name at the moment) were written and possibly recorded but never intended to be on Triumph and were later on his solo albums.

From the information I have gathered so far, it would seem that there are two versions of this song that are going to be released. An older version recorded in the 80's and a newer version. Not sure if this is true or not though.
Old 30th September 2009
Here for the gear

1995 VMA sounds

Hi,

I am mixing some audio for a choreographed stage dance. I was wondering if anyone had experience or knew of the sounds used for MJ's 1995 VMA performance. Specifically, what is the sound used right after the opening song of Don't Stop Till You Get Enough? He then pauses for a while, with the audience cheering, but I want the sound that comes right after the "wooooooo", which is kind of like a boom but with a twang.

Here's the video: YouTube - michael jackson & slash mtv 1995 video music awards performance live

(see around :30)

Any help would be awesome. I just don't know where that sound comes from, but it's perfect.
Old 8th October 2009
Here for the gear

I read that Michael Jackson had played the piano as well. Did anyone ever hear him playing the piano or other instruments?
Old 11th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I would have liked to have met Michael Jackson, and shaken the gentleman's hand..He was an inspiration for a lot of people with his music..

stike

Hear, Hear!!

Old 11th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bottrell View Post
Simply so the downbeat of the song would be surprisingly huge.
Thank you Bill for answering my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtimixeur View Post
I had given up on this thread, but what a nice surprise to read so many stories from you Bill. Thank you so much for answering those many quetions (including a few of mine). You made my day !
lol I had too until Bill was kind enough to answer all out questions.thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1984 View Post
It could've been an outtake from Triumph but I am thinking that it probably wasn't. Don't forget that around this same time, Little Susie, Much Too Soon (figured to be early version of Gone Too Soon), and another song (can't seem to remember the name at the moment) were written and possibly recorded but never intended to be on Triumph and were later on his solo albums.

From the information I have gathered so far, it would seem that there are two versions of this song that are going to be released. An older version recorded in the 80's and a newer version. Not sure if this is true or not though.
Michael had written his own song called Gone Too Soon decades prior to that which was on DANGEROUS whoever the song Gone Too Soon on Dangerous is not the same as the one Michael wrote. The GTS on Dangerous was written by Buz Kohan and Larry Grossman.

Tracklist for MJs new album THIS IS IT:
MICHAEL JACKSON'S THIS IS IT - THE MUSIC THAT INSPIRED THE MOVIE
CD 1:
01 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
02 Jam
03 They Don't Care About Us
04 Human Nature
05 Smooth Criminal
06 The Way You Make Me Feel
07 Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) [Single Edit]
08 I Just Can't Stop Loving You
09 Thriller
10 Beat It
11 Black Or White
12 Earth Song
13 Billie Jean
14 Man In The Mirror
15 This Is It (Album Version)
16 This Is It (Orchestra Version)

CD 2:

01 She's Out Of My Life (Demo) - 3:19 min
02 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Demo Recording) - 5:43 min
03 Beat It (Demo Take) - 2:03 min
04 Planet Earth - 3:13 min

Michael also wrote a song called This Is It prior to Thriller.

The new song called This Is It was previously recorded by Safire and was called I NEVER HEARD:
YouTube - WRITTEN BY MICHAEL JACKSON "I Never Heard" by Safire

Single Cover:

Here is a 43s sample of Michaels version of the song THIS IS IT:
YouTube - Michael Jackson - This Is It (New Single 2009)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothcriminal View Post
Hi,

I am mixing some audio for a choreographed stage dance. I was wondering if anyone had experience or knew of the sounds used for MJ's 1995 VMA performance. Specifically, what is the sound used right after the opening song of Don't Stop Till You Get Enough? He then pauses for a while, with the audience cheering, but I want the sound that comes right after the "wooooooo", which is kind of like a boom but with a twang.

Here's the video: YouTube - michael jackson & slash mtv 1995 video music awards performance live

(see around :30)

Any help would be awesome. I just don't know where that sound comes from, but it's perfect.
Do you mean this?:
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
Old 11th October 2009

wow, bill - i just wanted to say - thanks for taking the time to stop by and contribute to the thread!

awesome!

thumbsup
Old 12th October 2009
Here for the gear

No need to ask which one of you guys worked on the so-called new MJ track "This Is It". We can all hear that absolutely NO engineer worked on that track. It's a damn shame to present a song like that. It's a slap to the face of the whole industry. Why is the production so horrible? Why do they do that to Michael? He didn't deserve that.
Old 14th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mederick View Post
That's exactly what I meant in my previous postings. Right now, after reading Bruce's new book (good stories Russ ), great reading BTW, I can't stop but wondering what a major book it could be if it answered some specific questions by people who know a lot about MJ's career. I loved it but just can't stop thinking of all the unanswered questions. And I'm not talking about having info about unreleased songs only, but the all process of creating and recording. For instance, Teddy Riley talked a lot about Dangerous, of course Bruce was there too. If you put them both in a room with the help of questions by fans who remember a lot about what has been said, rumored etc. You got a GREAT book, a new Bible. If you do that for each album, that would be the fans GRAAL. Don't you think? That would be so original, so rich. A possible dream.

Bruce is the master link between each album. If you start a discussion with producers and engineers from each album, they'll share their memories, new ones will come up and new conclusions will be made. That would be everything MJ deserves. Please make it happen.

I just wanted to say I am completely in love with this idea of production book.
I don't want to spam this place and will remain silent. I've been reading since the thread started.
BIG THANK YOU to all engineers that shared their knowledge/stories with us. BIG THANKS!
Old 16th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanRose View Post
I don't waste time commenting on Youtube.

For the Bucharest show and Dangerous tour in general MJ lip-synched Jam, Smooth Criminal, Thriller, Black or White, Heal The World and Man In The Mirror, although some had live ad-libs.

The HIStory show was entirely lip-synched bar Startin' Somethin', the J5 medley and some ad-libs.

It's not a knock, it's an observation. MJ only ever sang one solitary song live from Dangerous, HIStory or Blood (Gone Too Soon, Clinton Gala). That's pretty sad. I'm aware of the Dangerous rehearsal footage where he sang bits of everything live but he was only giving a rehearsal performance at 50%.
That's not true. The only tour Jackson ever Lip-Synced more then he should(arguably) was the History Tour.
Old 16th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mederick View Post
No need to ask which one of you guys worked on the so-called new MJ track "This Is It". We can all hear that absolutely NO engineer worked on that track. It's a damn shame to present a song like that. It's a slap to the face of the whole industry. Why is the production so horrible? Why do they do that to Michael? He didn't deserve that.
Can't understand how Sony could get away with that...And I hope the second CD for the soundtrack isn't that short. The estate wouldn't approve of that.
Old 16th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJslostcousin View Post
That's not true. The only tour Jackson ever Lip-Synced more then he should(arguably) was the History Tour.
Wow. Never knew that. All along I believed he really sang live. Jackson seems to have more in common with Milli Vanilli than we thought.
If I had paid for a ticket, I would have demanded a refund. It's fraud.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Wow. Never knew that. All along I believed he really sang live. Jackson seems to have more in common with Milli Vanilli than we thought.
If I had paid for a ticket, I would have demanded a refund. It's fraud.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Couldn't disagree with you more.
Old 16th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1984 View Post
Couldn't disagree with you more.
If I paid top dollar to view rare artwork in an art gallery and they decided to sub the real deal for a print of it, what's the difference? It's fraud. Paying for something you do not get when it's promised is deceptive and just plain wrong. It's also a crime in some places.

If it was disclosed on the ticket that he would be lip syncing, that would be fine, but he didn't, so it's fraud.

Maybe you have a floating ethic, but to me, right and wrong isn't that hard to figure out, that was wrong. Maybe you can "set me straight"?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th October 2009
Here for the gear

I watched Michael Jackson's live in Bucharest concert performance from 1992, on television a few months ago, and he didn't appear to be lip syncing to me.. I thought that his singing and dancing and his energy were very impressive..
I watched his concert performance a few times when there were repeats of it..

I wanted to meet the gentleman when he was alive. I am very sad that he passed away.. And wished that I had, had the opportunity to meet the man- because it would of been the experience of a lifetime..

Michael was such an inspiration to so many people- his talent and energy for music and helping people did change- impact the world!

The gentleman- Michael will be missed very much by people- and happily his music and legacy will live on..thumbsup
Old 17th October 2009
Gear Head

I cant wait to hear the Live Album.
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

Unfortunately "This Is It" is only the beginning of endless marketing, tabloids and documentaries into the life and death of MJ.

No one was given MJ a second before his death, include all the chaps on here so this entire thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

From a strictly engineering POV which I think most of us have, I like the idea of a book that contains anyone who worked with MJ. Why not? We have all the studio info from The Beatles. MJ deserves one too.

But again, I only see lots of bad stuff coming from all of this.

"This Is It" is just the beginning...
Old 18th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
If I paid top dollar to view rare artwork in an art gallery and they decided to sub the real deal for a print of it, what's the difference? It's fraud. Paying for something you do not get when it's promised is deceptive and just plain wrong. It's also a crime in some places.

If it was disclosed on the ticket that he would be lip syncing, that would be fine, but he didn't, so it's fraud.

Maybe you have a floating ethic, but to me, right and wrong isn't that hard to figure out, that was wrong. Maybe you can "set me straight"?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim, with all due respect - and while I appreciate your perspective - this CAN'T be news to you - I'm sorry, if you're a professional in the industry for the last 4 decades, I simply don't buy your incredulessness here.

Most audience members who go to see and hear an act perform on the production scale of a Madonna or MJ are simply there to be blown away - with visuals, dancing, monster theatrical sets, video, people in spinning cages, colored lights, smoke, chorus lines, dramatic socio-political messages, etc., etc. It's a huge event - developed to astonishing heights during the arena tour years.

MJ fans go to a show for an exciting night out with their friends, to show off their new clothes, jump up and down, feel the bass in their chests, sing along with all the songs, scream and shout, and dance their asses off! It's not a Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto at Carnegie Hall, for cryin' out loud heh

And since we're giving our honesty opinions - I'd rather hear something done RIGHT over an obnoxiously loud and awful sounding PA, then something super pitchy and horrid sounding (a la Zeppelin and a million other rock bands live).

This is one of the reasons the choice is often made with modern pop acts to use pre-recorded tracks. Remember, they're performing under ridiculously hot lights on enormous dynamically interactive stage sets, with CRAZY heavy air-tight costumes and heavy shoes, running around like mad people, and dancing their asses off amid explosions, sound effects, video screens, giant stage sets and props, etc.

They can't POSSIBLY be expected to sing every song dead on. So, they often use pre-recorded tracks. In MJ's later tours - his huge tours during his heydey - I can't IMAGINE that he did everything live. (But I could be wrong.)

One of the only reasons Milli Vanilli got nailed - is because they got caught. It was a lesson for all future pop acts - don't get caught! However, several other acts have been caught, since - Ashlee Simpson springs to mind (where is she now? heh).

Anyway, in the spirit of trying to keep this thread a positive tribute to MJ, I'm sure we can at least try to understand why these "artistic" choices are sometimes made in the industry.

I think we should give these artists some major props for undergoing these ridiculously athletic challenges, night after night - often for months on end.

Some pop artists flip back and forth - many use recorded doubles, triples, BV's, etc in playback. Some artists do the whole dog and pony show, and still pull off great live vocals - like prince.

...However, lip-synching has been common practice through the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today...

I'm sure if we dug deeper, we'd find the Beatles were pre-recorded at Shea Stadium heh
(Not that it mattered - the sound was TERRIBLE, anyway...)

So here's to MJ - superstarus maximus!

Old 18th October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Some pop artists flip back and forth - many use recorded doubles, triples, BV's, etc in playback. Some artists do the whole dog and pony show, and still pull off great live vocals - like prince.
No problem with backing tracks, I saw Seal here and he had a short band, but the strings and stuff were pre-recorded. He sang every note live.

I saw Prince a few years ago at Staples, hell of a show, he didn't want to stop. It was sort of informal, not the over the top visual crap that just seems to diminish the talent on stage. He played every note, sang every note and even gave everyone a CD.

I'd rather pay and hear the real deal than to have some guy just press the playback button, but YMMV. If I were blind, that would be very important to me. If I were deaf, not so much so. I suspect those in MJ's audience could see better than they could hear.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Head

You're gonna like This Is It then Jim. Check out the teasers on youtube

YouTube - Michael Jackson This Is It Human Nature 1080 HD TV Spot Extended Live Vocals 2009
Old 21st October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bottrell View Post
Well, I know for sure the version we hear on Bad Re-issue was done between Bad and Dangerous, while Michael was on tour. Now i'm just trying to imagine some earlier version from Encino, (and coming up with nothing) OR. maybe there was a Westlake (Quincy) version!
there was mention of a track called Streetwalker as far back as 1984. Supposedly to be included in a movie starring Michael entitled Street Dandy, the project never happened, but i recall reading about it during that time.
Old 23rd October 2009
Here for the gear

I have got a new question.

In a previous message, Rob Hoffman said :

I actually have a good story about that. Michael wanted to write with David Foster, so we setup this incredible writing rig in the live room of Hit Factory studio 1. MIDI'ed yamaha grand, David's favorite synth modules, rugs, couches, vibe for days. We all cleared out but Andrew Scheps stayed in the control room just to make sure things were cool. They bounced ideas back and forth, but at one point David wasn't getting the chords MJ wanted to hear so he said "you play it". Michael said "I can't, I'm a terrible piano player". David said show me anyway. Apparently after a few minutes of plinking David stopped him, and said "you really are terrible."

According to this, it seems that Michael was not a good piano player. However, Bruce Swedien said:

There might be one or two songs that didn’t make it from each album. But they’re not finished. There aren’t vocals for everything. (...) [One of my favorite songs] is “Don’t Be Messin’ Around.” Michael plays piano on it, and it’s just beautiful. Oh my god, there’s nothing like it.

There is thus some contradiction.

Mr. Hoffman, Mr. Swedien, may you comment on this?
Old 23rd October 2009
Gear Head

If anyone here has any unreleased recordings from the BAD Sessions onward, and is interested to talk with me, let me know. I am a serious private collector who would be interested in chatting with anyone that has this sort of stuff. I already have a lot of unreleased outtakes and demos from various recording sessions, so I am after the later stuff now.

I would like to chat to a few people who have the same interest as me, and hope to come across some stuff from the Dangerous sessions (e.g. 'Men In Black'), but anything would be good. If interested, please PM me and I'll send you my private email address. Regards,
Old 25th October 2009
Here for the gear

First time poster here. I'm so happy I found this board. Love this topic! Thanks everyone for sharing all the wonderful stories. Makes me feel as though I'm right there in the studio with him. :-) Keep um coming though, lolol!

Butterflies!!! OMG!!! I just discovered this song a few months ago and I think it;s so beautiful. What Michael does with his vocals at the end of this song is simply incredible. Please, please does anyone have an interesting story about the recording of this song. The fluttery type of thing Michael does with his vocals was brilliant! Anything funny, interesting on the taping of this song? Thanks. :-)
Old 25th October 2009
Here for the gear

Old 25th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
First time poster here. I'm so happy I found this board. Love this topic! Thanks everyone for sharing all the wonderful stories. Makes me feel as though I'm right there in the studio with him. :-) Keep um coming though, lolol!

Butterflies!!! OMG!!! I just discovered this song a few months ago and I think it;s so beautiful. What Michael does with his vocals at the end of this song is simply incredible. Please, please does anyone have an interesting story about the recording of this song. The fluttery type of thing Michael does with his vocals was brilliant! Anything funny, interesting on the taping of this song? Thanks. :-)
apparently there is an alternate version of Butterflies with additional ad-libs at the end of the song. anyone know what CD that is featured on, it's not on my one track promo disc?
Old 25th October 2009
Here for the gear

That is a nice picture there with Michael Jackson.. What was he like to meet in person? Did you Waldo, or anyone speak with Michael before he passed away?

Old 26th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi View Post

Sadly for you, I think you were mentioning the ad-libs performed by Marsha Ambrosius. She wrote the song when she was in the band Floetry (you can hear the demo on youtube), and the high pitch voice you can hear at the end of Butterflies definitely belongs to her.
Old 26th October 2009
Here for the gear

"One morning MJ came in with a new song he had written overnight. We called in a guitar player, and Michael sang every note of every chord to him. "here's the first chord first note, second note, third note. Here's the second chord first note, second note, third note", etc., etc. We then witnessed him giving the most heartfelt and profound vocal performance, live in the control room through an SM57.

He would sing us an entire string arrangement, every part. Steve Porcaro once told me he witnessed MJ doing that with the string section in the room. Had it all in his head, harmony and everything. Not just little eight bar loop ideas. he would actually sing the entire arrangement into a micro-cassette recorder complete with stops and fills."

Fascinating! What a genius he was. He always said his music was from God and he was just a conduit to bring the music into the world. He said that the whole song would drop his lap- the strings, the melody, etc.

Do you remember the name of the song he brought in?
Old 27th October 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
What kind of hair gel did Michael use? What food did he eat in the studio? What cologne did he wear?
I can answer the cologne question. His favorite was Bal a Versailles which is actually a female perfume. He didn't care about that, he just liked the smell. It is a spicy, heavier scent than most female perfumes. He used only the real stuff- perfume, no cologne, because it smelled better. This information came from his makeup artist, Karen Faye, who would search for it for him.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search