The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Head

Robmix - were any video concepts (or any video talk at all) brought up during or around the recording sessions you were in? If so, I'd like to know if there was any talk about making videos (concepts for) songs that never ENDED UP having a video made for them for example "This Time Around", "Tabloid Junkie" etc..
Old 11th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
I don't think he knew the names of notes or chords. At least I never heard him name them. I think the "exotic" chords or progressions are probably due to the arrangers trying to harmonize MJ's melodies if he didn't have an exact chord in mind.

I've got a lot of unreleased titles in my head, but I should probably wait to see what gets released so as not to fuel the rumor mills.
Could you share them with us?
Old 11th August 2009
I have to report a very strange phenomenon that's been happening to me.

Whenever the melody of "Starting Something" starts running through my brain and I'm inspired to break into song, I always hear myself saying...

"So you wanna be Michael Jackson, so you wanna be Michael Jack-son, so you wanna be Michael Jackson..."

Is this just my ironic, cheeky side coming to the fore... or does everyone do this?
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Head

I've read someplace that the recording sessions in 1982 between Michael and Paul were video taped. I would love to see that tape. I wonder who owns that? Were any other recording sessions recorded on video tape?
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Head

^ Wow, I didn't even think to ask this here, although I had always wanted to know if the Dangerous Recording Sessions were filmed by Michael's crew.

Robmix:

I am dying to know, were any of the HIStory recording sessions filmed at all? .....
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Nut
I've wanted to post in here since I found out about this thread, but I've only just caught up with everything!

Thanks so very much to all for sharing what you have with us... as a huge MJ fan all my life, I had always wanted to know about the "behind-the-scenes" of his art so I am foregever grateful

I have a question for now, I may think of more down the line.
Regarding the live performances of Dangerous, is anyone able to share some insight into the two performances in 1999? (in Munich and Korea) They're more stripped-down than all of the others, I was wondering if there was more info on the production of those tracks? I love it!! I think Brad Buxer played the keyboards for that. Was this different version MJ's idea or was it again a combination of himself and the dancers and more sounds were added to it? It seems to tell a story better than all the other performances, yet it's a shame MJ didn't perform this version again after 1999.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywonder View Post
I got these from Bruce's post. I'll put a question mark on these

They may be the dates that the final mixes were printed. Vocals and orchestra were definitely done in NYC.
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP777 View Post
^ Wow, I didn't even think to ask this here, although I had always wanted to know if the Dangerous Recording Sessions were filmed by Michael's crew.

Robmix:

I am dying to know, were any of the HIStory recording sessions filmed at all? .....
Not really. We got interviewed a filmed a little bit. But everything was kept very low key.
Old 12th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I have to report a very strange phenomenon that's been happening to me.

Whenever the melody of "Starting Something" starts running through my brain and I'm inspired to break into song, I always hear myself saying...

"So you wanna be Michael Jackson, so you wanna be Michael Jack-son, so you wanna be Michael Jackson..."

Is this just my ironic, cheeky side coming to the fore... or does everyone do this?

Well, it's actually a good question, Joel.

After all, so many of us get into music to emulate the careers of our heroes.

And there weren't too many careers bigger than MJ's.

So, in a way - I think many would answer, "yes" to your song's lyrical question - not necessarily to the more bizarre and difficult personal aspects - but definitely to the exciting professional ones.

Many of us dream of a chance at the spotlight, the roaring crowds, the big stages and studios, TV cameras, sold out tours and crazy fans, creative big-budget recordings and videos, rubbing elbows and collaborating with other superstars, a life surrounded by the most talented and creative professionals in the business!

MJ was a truly huge global superstar - for a LONG time.

Old 12th August 2009
Well, good.
Old 13th August 2009
Gear Nut

It would be great to hear more about the recording of BAD - my personal absolute favourite MJ album and, I think, the more sonically interesting one.

I was surprised by how little was written about it in Bruce's new book.

I want to hear about the instrument recording techniques especially the synths, basses and drums - the meaty stuff about the actual making of the music itself.

All this talk of 'lost' tracks, songs that didn't make albums, and precise recording dates are very intriguing but I want to know about the recording details of the music they actually chose to put out there.
Old 13th August 2009
Here for the gear

i've been reading this thread since it began. i hadn't joined to post because i didn't want to clutter it up. however, i am really compelled to say thank you. thank you for sharing an experience many of us couldn't have: working with mike in his element. back to the smelly jelly!
Old 13th August 2009
Gear Nut

there should be a stickey thread of stories of working with MJ please make one for the people that read stories out of insperation
Old 13th August 2009
Here for the gear

Honored

First of all i gotta say thank you to all the guys that contributed with their stories about MJ. I never thought i would been able to get this insight in how MJ was as a person, and as an musician.

I also have a question.

How would all you guys feel if you were asked to go in the studio and finish mixes of unreleased songs or maybe even do remixes on already released tracks from Michael?

Cause one thing i fear is that remixes and unreleased tracks maybe will be out in a couple of years and then it will be for the cash only, i really dont wanna hear a MJ remix with flo-rida, souljah boy or similar artists!

So what is the chances of us seeing/hearing the unreleased MJ stuff as it was supposed to sound according to him?

And again guys thx for all your answers in this thread, this thread is history in its making (or how u say it, lol my english sux today).

/Jocke
Old 14th August 2009
Here for the gear

Alright guys, I held up till know to ask my question but now that the many questions from fans have scared the techs and engineers away I'll just put it out there.

Does anyone know if the source material from the Dangerous Tour DVD still exist? If yes, what are the chances it could be re-edited without the constant annoying cuts to fans being carted off or crying?
It's a sin to have cut away from Michael so much. He was so great on that stage. If I could get my hands on that footage I'd show mostly the action on stage and show the crowd only at the end of the songs. The consensus on that DVD is "way too much fan shots"

Also JordanRose are you the one saying all over youtube that MJ lipsynched and mimed all the time?

Shamone man, just use your eyes and WATCH Michael singing in that Bucharest concert. You can see that his singing is very energetic and comes from his guts. You can see his diaphram moving to get the voice out. Yes, he has backtrack with his voice but he's singing LIVE with it. NOT miming or lipsynching.

Lastly, many thanks for the personal stories. It's like a great eulogy and it's helping me get some closure on this unexpected tragedy but I'm still mad and very sad about it.

Best regards,
LG
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by riviera1992 View Post

Does anyone know if the source material from the Dangerous Tour DVD still exist? If yes, what are the chances it could be re-edited without the constant annoying cuts to fans being carted off or crying?
It's a sin to have cut away from Michael so much. He was so great on that stage. If I could get my hands on that footage I'd show mostly the action on stage and show the crowd only at the end of the songs. The consensus on that DVD is "way too much fan shots"
Here is the BBC version that aired on TV recently which is unedited and doesnt show as much of the audience and more of Michael:

Dangerous Tour Bucharest BBC Version (Bnn Ned3) - HQ
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

MJJCOMMUNITY - OFFICIAL FORUM
Old 15th August 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks so much.
Old 15th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousInc View Post
Help!

The first link is some kind of movie.
Second link is good.
Haven't had the time to download third and forth yet.
Could you please check the links? I'm so anxious to see this unedited version. Is there a DVD for sale for this one?

Thanks
Lynda G
Old 16th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riviera1992 View Post

Also JordanRose are you the one saying all over youtube that MJ lipsynched and mimed all the time?

Shamone man, just use your eyes and WATCH Michael singing in that Bucharest concert. You can see that his singing is very energetic and comes from his guts. You can see his diaphram moving to get the voice out. Yes, he has backtrack with his voice but he's singing LIVE with it. NOT miming or lipsynching.

LG
I can't comment on the MJ Bucharest DVD specifically, but the audio for many "live" concert DVDs is recut in the studio. Based on my personal experience playing with a major pop act, as well as friends who play with other major acts.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myarmsareonfire View Post
I can't comment on the MJ Bucharest DVD specifically, but the audio for many "live" concert DVDs is recut in the studio. Based on my personal experience playing with a major pop act, as well as friends who play with other major acts.
Depends on the band . . . . I've worked on quite a few (Sheryl Crow, Cher, and others). In almost all cases none of them were recut. We did some vocal fixes, the occasional instrumental fix, and that was about it. Really depends on who was recording the shows, and how good the band is.

I can't comment on MJ's DVD, but I do know that his band did play along to precut or edited album tracks in Pro Tools (and the Synclav before that). No need to recut everything, maybe just some fixes if need be.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

How would all you guys feel if you were asked to go in the studio and finish mixes of unreleased songs or maybe even do remixes on already released tracks from Michael?

Cause one thing i fear is that remixes and unreleased tracks maybe will be out in a couple of years and then it will be for the cash only, i really dont wanna hear a MJ remix with flo-rida, souljah boy or similar artists!

So what is the chances of us seeing/hearing the unreleased MJ stuff as it was supposed to sound according to him?

And again guys thx for all your answers in this thread, this thread is history in its making (or how u say it, lol my english sux today).

/Jocke

I would love to be involved in a project like that. There are very few people who could do it right, and Bruce is probably the only one who could lead such a team. Having the people that were involved during the recording of those songs would be essential. Don't know if it's a possibility . .. ..
Old 16th August 2009
Here for the gear

I believe Bruce is working on the finishing touches to Michael's final studio album as we speak.
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJslostcousin View Post
I believe Bruce is working on the finishing touches to Michael's final studio album as we speak.
Is this just a rumour, or is there actually some truth behind it?

Heard anything about this Rob? Any Michael-related album released this year would sell through the roof..
Old 16th August 2009
Here for the gear

jam

Hi there

A while back, a load of Teddy Riley acetate cds from the dangerius sessions went on sale on ebay. I bought a few. The unreleased mixes i have are-

• Michael Jackson Jam Mix 14
  • Michael Jackson Jam Final DAT Ruff 3 Tracks #8
  • Michael Jackson Jam Mix 12 #10
  • Michael Jackson Jam Mix 18 #14
  • Michael Jackson Jam Mix 11 #20
  • Michael Jackson Jam New Teddy Mixes 3 Mixes #27
  • Michael Jackson Jam Remix 3 Mixes #36
  • Michael Jackson Jam With Comp Mix 22 #38
  • Michael Jackson Jam No Comp Mix 22 #39
  • Michael Jackson Jam Mix 20 #40
  • Michael Jackson Jam Mix 13 #41
  • Michael Jackson Jam Mix 14 #42
  • Michael Jackson Jam Remix Mix #55
  • Michael Jackson Propaganda Films "Teaser" Sound EFX

if anybody else boughtany of the other cds, maybe we could trade or somethin????????

please pm or.........

ps-if anybody wants me to send them snippets, please let me know, to prove to you they are real

thanks
Old 16th August 2009
Old 16th August 2009
Here for the gear

thank you for this ! it's wonderfull that we can find out such details about working with Michael, i think this source is unique. These guys should be invited on Tv, all over the world maybe, to share about how he was in real life, how it was working with him and how much of a kind, sensitive & wonderfull person he was.
I know that for an average studio is so hard to acheave MJ' s sound...
i'm sure that any studio-musician would love to be able to do that...just a little MJ touch maybe... Now question for you guys, that worked with him:
what do we have to do in the studio to acheave such quality ? maybe try recording to tape ? or use the same gear as you did on those albums ? I think to contract you for an album would be the best, cause you're the only ones that know exactly how to reach the MJ sound. I ask you for just a little help, a few advices to help us on the way... for little studios like we have, your words would be golden. Thanks alot guys !
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJslostcousin View Post

WOW - SERIOUSLY??

IS THIS TRUE??

Old 17th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

WOW - SERIOUSLY??

IS THIS TRUE??

Yeah, please confirm. & is there ballpark time frame on a release date?
Old 17th August 2009
Here for the gear

MJ Tribute in Stockholm

If anyone hasnt seen this already, its a tribute to MJ made by a swedish dance crew named bouce (and a couple of more dancers) here in sweden.

YouTube - [OFFICIAL] Michael Jackson Dance Tribute - STOCKHOLM

YouTube - [OFFICIAL] Michael Jackson Dance Tribute Pt2 - STOCKHOLM
Old 18th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
yep. those are the ones!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search