The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
recommend me a budget, lo-fi recording setup
Old 3rd July 2009
Here for the gear

recommend me a budget, lo-fi recording setup

I posted this in the wrong section (i think!) before, so here goes:

After my trusty cassette 4-track has died I'm after something new, I have loads of cassettes still, and very limited funds, so another 4-track seems a good way to go.

Sound quality isn't a massive aspect, though obviously it would be nice, most of what I am recording shall be lo-fi indie/college rock (think Pavement, Guided by Voices, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Beat Happening, Half Japanese, at least in recording styles anyway).

It seems the Tascam 424 comes recommended and doesn't seem to go for a lot on ebay at all, anything else?

I'm also going to need some mics; I'd like to record live some of the time (so, seeing as I'll only have 4-tracks to play with I suppose I'll need some kind of stereo pair?), when I'm multi-tracking I'll probably just use two overheads on the drums and mic up the cabs, which just leaves vocals. So what's the minimum I'll get away with? I'll probably have £200 max to spend on mics, though I'd like to spend less (this is very much bottom-end!).

Recommend away, and thanks in advance!
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Uher reel to reel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search