The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buying a quality mic pre?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Head

Buying a quality mic pre?

Hello,

I have read a lot of threads on this subject and have decided that I'm going to invest in a good mic pre. I have an Apogee Duet which I think is great and certainly the best sound quality I've ever had for recording. I plan to keep saving and investing in gear to get as professional a sound as I can so I think a great mic pre will be my next investment.

I don't really want a tube pre as I like a clean an transparent sound with versatility that is great on a number of sources. Vocals would be the 1st priority and then guitar and bass etc. I'm sort of between the Avalon M5 and the Great River ME-1NV but am leaning towards the Avalon. I've heard both have great D.I for guitars etc, but some people didn't seem to keen on the Great River for vocals which put me off it a bit.

I would just like to know how much either of these pres would improve the sound quality over the Apogee Duet pres, which to me sound really good already. I'm just wondering will the step to a quality pre be as impressive as the step from a cheapish 16 track to Logic+Duet?

Cheers.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Maniac

You can't go wrong ever with a high end pre. I've used Avalon pres for a while, and I like them a lot. Some of my friends aren't to keen on them, but for me they have done the job well.

The Duet has some great pres, there is no need to 'upgrade' from them. I only see the issue as adding another character to your setu up. The best way for you to judge it is to get your hands on both and try them out.

Also what kind of mics do you have?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Head

Thanks. Yeah I was just worried that either of those 2 pre's would be pretty much the same thing as the Duet's as they are supposed to be pretty clean, transparent etc and that the difference might be to subtle to be worth the expense. I am happy with the Duet's pre's so I suppose money might be better invested elsewhere.

I use an Behringer B2pro at the min. I'm going to buy an Audio Technica 4033a shortly though. I had a Rode K2 for a week which broke, so I sent it back. Quite liked it's sound though but I'd rather not have tubes for studio gear. I'll be buying the 4033 within the next few weeks but I'm just not sure about a pre yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search