The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Head

interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp

AWA BAR 2 BROADCAST AMPLIFIER/MIXER
I bought this recently & had the idea of setting it up with 4 seperate balanced outs to use as mic pre's rather than the old stereo telephone type outputs its currently got.
Sort of like the MX10/35 ampex mixer mod's.
This is australian gear from the 50's/60s I believe & i have included some fotos because i was hoping someone who knew better might give me some ideas on how best to utilize it... or whether i am on the right path with the mic pre idea?
Attached Thumbnails
interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp-dsc03397.jpg   interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp-dsc03398.jpg   interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp-dsc03399.jpg   interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp-dsc03400.jpg   interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp-dsc03401.jpg  

interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp-dsc03402.jpg   interesting little mixer AWA bar2 amp-dsc03403.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear nut

Hey, I've got something similar. It's another old Australian 4-Channel mic mixer like this but it's made by EMI.

These kind of things were made for Outside Broadcast etc but they do generally have pretty killer mic pres. Does this one have power supply?

I had my EMI modded to have direct outs for every mic and it's just amazing. I'm sure this AWA would be brilliant too.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Neat!

thumbsupthumbsup

Go for it.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Head

yep the power cable is intact & it all works fine. just that it comes out stereo..
Anyway reckon i will mod it to all 4 channels direct out & see what it does for my ribbon mics.... Wonder how much gain this thing has..?
Old 26th April 2010
Gear interested

Did you have any luck with this Mod?
I have one on the bench at the moment, waiting for the same job to be doen to it. I was wondering of you had obtained a schematic at all?
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Head

awa

I, uh, was just looking at it again funnily enough, its been sitting on my shelf looking cute, but unused.... No, i havent found someone suitable to mod it yet. I'm certainly not up to the job, but from what i can tell of the innards it looks to be a relatively easy task for the right person. If you have experience in this area I'd be interested to know what sort of parts you'd be looking at using for the mod.. trannies etc..
cheers
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

AWA... They make great stuff!!! I have several pieces of their gear and its all great! Nice find!
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

SO! anybody want to pitch in? I am reinvigorated to get this thing modded now & I need some help.. I also would be most interested to know if anyone has either schematics fr it.. OR a greater understanding of the output section & how it relates to the inputs.. its a very strange output setup with those little bakelite nobs marked line & tel. & one black earth...
Anyway some help appreciated.
Old 30th April 2010
Gear maniac

I have an Altec 4 channel tube mixer that looks pretty much like yours, I've been reading alot on the prodigy-pro forum and got some good ideas about how to mod it to an 4 channel preamp with direct out from each channel instead of the mixed output. BUT it's still lying on the shelf and I JUST got hold of a tech that can do that work for me so I'll guess I just pay for getting it up and running and if it's not what I expect it to be I'll just sell it.
I currently have a whole bunch of other preamps on that shelf, telefunken among others that also need some attention... this is probably fairly common in any studio nowadays.

a
Old 21st June 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrowndog View Post
I, uh, was just looking at it again funnily enough, its been sitting on my shelf looking cute, but unused.... No, i havent found someone suitable to mod it yet. I'm certainly not up to the job, but from what i can tell of the innards it looks to be a relatively easy task for the right person. If you have experience in this area I'd be interested to know what sort of parts you'd be looking at using for the mod.. trannies etc..
cheers

Hi Oldbrowndog,

I have now managed to get a copy of the technical documents for this Broadcast Amp, (AWA BAR-2) including detailed parts list and schematic.
If you would like a copy of this, please get in touch and I will email you a copy. My email address is noiseisgood(at)gmail etc

I will be modding this mixer to be used as 4 individual mic preamps for a sound engineer I work with but this will have to wait untill a few other things are off the bench!
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

LOOKS like RCA Bn6n ... almost 99% same

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search