The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Has Music Really Become Worthless?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM'Geek View Post
So rather than donate 3000 cds to charity, you chucked them into landfill?

Lame
I agree with this one strongly...

I'm not sure why you didn't sell them; used CD places would have given you something for them. If you didn't want to sell them, why not just take them to the public library or offer them for free on craigslist? Seems really wasteful.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yesterday I threw out well over 3,000 CDs from my collection.

Right into the garbage. No use for them.

Crazy. Right?

I realized that I had about 500 of them extracted into my computer and the others just didn't matter. I've been living at my present house more then 3 1/2 years and never put those on.

If I wanted one of them, it's just 10 bucks on iTunes. Big deal.

I'd rather have the space in my house.

Is music really this worthless?
The music isn't worthless. Just the CDs it was stored on
Old 3rd July 2009
Quote:
Crazy. Right?
Yes, not very "green" of you. Those will sit in a landfill for 10,000 years. You should have recycled them. Some stores will take them for a credit too, Lou's Records here in Leucadia does that.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
The music isn't worthless. Just the CDs it was stored on
Nope- the CDs had a value, just not to the OP
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestEyes View Post
I don't think music is worthless. I hate just being able to download music. I want to have a physical CD in my hand. I want to feel like I just purchased something. Sure CD's take up space, but I like having the album booklet, etc.

As far as music as a whole being worthless, I think a lot of popular music is worthless. I think on average a pop CD has two to three good tunes on it and the rest of garbage. So I guess many CD's are worthless. And I would guess the CD's you threw out were among those. They had a few good tunes, but as a whole they were no good. You probably kept the CD's that you had a personal connection with.
Nah. I threw them all out.

I extracted the ones I had a connection with. Or re-bought them on iTunes.

The artwork on CDs never mattered because I grew up with records. That was Artwork.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nah. I threw them all out.

I extracted the ones I had a connection with. Or re-bought them on iTunes.

The artwork on CDs never mattered because I grew up with records. That was Artwork.
Technically, is having a copy of the music from the CD's you no longer have legal?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
To have a collection of over 3,000 CDs you must either love music or you'd never have bought each one OR you're an editor/critic/producer/industry type who gets sent peoples albums gratis.

If it's 'A' then you do love music and it's not worthless but maybe your tastes have changed or maybe you have OCD ?

If it's 'B' then the stuff you threw out wasn't your cup of tea but that doesn't mean that music is worthless.
Yes. I do get a lot of it for free. Of course, the music isn't worthless. In fat, it's one click away. I can hear any song I want almost anytime I want (legally) for 99 cents. So keeping boxes of CDs just seemed kinda pointless.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
I think the medium they were stored on is worthless...so many petroleum based products cluttering up our lives...in ten years when they discover how to turn plastic back into petrol you'll be kicking yourself...probably not.

It is kind of a statement of sorts how prevalent music has become, a century ago music probably had a higher value due to the lack of mass distribution that we have today, so much of what is music is simply part of the urban noise-scape anymore, much like the sound of an automobile we give it no heed and very little value.

Think back to a day when music was almost always performed live and someone in your family played an instrument...

I can remember "Big John" my great-grandfather playing a banjo behind his head...and my fathers family gathering around the piano every sunday after lunch to sing gospel songs in harmony....

"Today's music ain't got the same soul..."
Yes. But I think music as a whole still dominates people's lives. It's just that each individual piece of it, doesn't matter as much. When I was 8, KISS ALIVE II was god for about 2 years.

You should post more IO.
Old 3rd July 2009
Quote:

Crazy. Right?

I realized that I had about 500 of them extracted into my computer and the others just didn't matter. I've been living at my present house more then 3 1/2 years and never put those on.

???

Conflating the delivery medium with the music?

That's not the Kenny we know and love... heh

PS... don't they have second hand record stores or charitable organizations with thrift stores in your area?

PPS... I can see throwing out those stupid jewell boxes -- for sure. One of my buddies who did specialty DJing back in the early 90s got tired of hauling around crates of CDs, bought a bunch of simpe polyvinyl CD-size envelopes and put the CD cover inserts and CDs in them and never looked back. It made an enormous difference in the size of his haul -- and even the weight.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefullidiot View Post
Sure we live in a "throw away "society...where we buy things and throw them away for little or no regard for the resources it takes to a) produce those products or b) dispose of them but why not think for a second and give the CDs to some kind of 2nd hand charity type organisation....seems like a monumental waste.
Most of my late spring cleaning will be going to some local charities but I wasn't aware that they would take used CDs. I can't even buy new CDs anywhere locally. I think. I'll look into it before tossing the bags to the curb.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM'Geek View Post
So rather than donate 3000 cds to charity, you chucked them into landfill?

Lame
Do you know a charity that would take them?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Do you know a charity that would take them?

I can't think of a charity shop that doesn't. In Bishops Stortford.

From my other life as a record nerd I've heard that America does charity shops though. I'm sure someone who lives in NY can help
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

One of my buddies who did specialty DJing back in the early 90s got tired of hauling around crates of CDs, bought a bunch of simpe polyvinyl CD-size envelopes and put the CD cover inserts and CDs in them and never looked back. It made an enormous difference in the size of his haul -- and even the weight.
Yes. That was my first thought.

My second thought was that these boxes haven't been opened in 3 years. So why buy more stuff to store them in. I have my Favs in my computer and I'll buy the newer stuff that way too.

I still have the CDs in my basement for all you "green" fans so I will be looking to give them away. Don't sweat it. The landfill will wait for a bit. heh
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Crazy. Right?

Only to you.

Most of the CD's given to me don't find much time in the player. All of the CD/LP's that moved me to the point of purchased exist in a sanctified state in my mind.

I'm not sure what to make of the "If I wanted one of them, it's just 10 bucks on iTunes. Big deal" line. Maybe we're just in completely different income strata's. I have LP's in the last year I had not listened to since I was 25 (I'm 50) I played and thought to myself, why haven't I spun this in a long time. Taste come, go, evolve, return and sometimes even seem to disappear.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

I still have the CDs in my basement for all you "green" fans so I will be looking to give them away. Don't sweat it. The landfill will wait for a bit. heh

Good news! No offence intended
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Only to you.

Most of the CD's given to me don't find much time in the player. All of the CD/LP's that moved me to the point of purchased exist in a sanctified state in my mind.

I'm not sure what to make of the "If I wanted one of them, it's just 10 bucks on iTunes. Big deal" line. Maybe we're just in completely different income strata's. I have LP's in the last year I had not listened to since I was 25 (I'm 50) I played and thought to myself, why haven't I spun this in a long time. Taste come, go, evolve, return and sometimes even seem to disappear.
Is $10 a lot? Seriously.

Keep in mind. I rarely have time to listen to music.

So I probably buy 3-5 records a year. If one of them is Abby Road (I did save that one) that I have to rebuy, it doesn't matter to me.

I live in NY and I don't drink coffee. So I'm saving $3.75 or more a day. heh heh
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Tesla CD Turbine Site

on the scope of happy , it could be a sign of moving forward
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
Welcome to the Tesla CD Turbine Site

on the scope of happy , it could be a sign of moving forward
Pretty cool stuff.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has Music Really Become Worthless?

depends on what your standards for quality is

music is good stuff , it just needs to be good
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Technically, is having a copy of the music from the CD's you no longer have legal?
I don't imagine it's a problem if you throw the CDs away.

If you give them away or sell them, though, then that would be akin to selling samples or software and keeping it at the same time...
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Maybe it's just me but I've never been into albums. I've always listened a song from there, a song from here. The concept that a song is somehow incomplete unless you listen it alongside the rest of the album is alien to me, it implies that the song is somehow not good enough to stand on it's own.
I have a few friends that see it your way. I'm mostly into rock and metal, so a "hits only" world would make me puke. Artists like Tool and Meshuggah would certainly be much different if they were "singles only" instead of an album.

BTW, I just bought 4 new CD's today!

The Faceless - Akeldama
Lamb of God - Wrath
Killswitch Engage (new self titled)
Meshuggah - Obzen

FUN STUFF I'm loving life today!
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

In 1985 I dropped off many hundreds of vinyl mono and stereo records at the Salvation Army. I had taken perfect care of them since I started my collection in the early sixties to include Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones, Velvet Underground, etc. I was moving from Nevada to Tennessee I just didn't want the burden of vinyl since I figured they were obsolete since I swallowed the whole CD thing hook line and sinker. I would love to have those records back.
Old 3rd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ips View Post
Life without music = worthless

my life would be worthless without music. i probably woulda died in a ditch somewhere already without it.

im a vinyl guy myself. like the grooves. id rather listen to nothing all day and come home to a good vinyl, then hear an ipod all day, or the radio. i dont itune. i actualy hate itunes, with a passion. i got some dl'd music on the comp, but i really only put it on when im cleaning my studio or working at the bench on a project. i never carry music with me. in the car i generaly just roll the windows down when the crazy ass weather in illinois allows me too and listen to the sounds of the vehicle.

i am doing a music purge though and im finding my tastes have shifted again. only hanging onto the stuff that really grabs me. everything els must go. i do think cd's are disposable too.
Old 3rd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
I have a few friends that see it your way. I'm mostly into rock and metal, so a "hits only" world would make me puke. Artists like Tool and Meshuggah would certainly be much different if they were "singles only" instead of an album.

BTW, I just bought 4 new CD's today!

The Faceless - Akeldama
Lamb of God - Wrath
Killswitch Engage (new self titled)
Meshuggah - Obzen

FUN STUFF I'm loving life today!

saw meshuggah at the ministry c-u-latour show recently. i dislike metal, but they kicked more ass then ministry imho. i was not impressed with the display of the rest of the show. i hate dumping on you know who, cause i love his music, but seriously, i wanted my ticket price back. awfull.

i like meshuggah's use of synth.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by usefullidiot View Post
Pointless because what has value to me could have no value to you...

For me John Coltrane mint condition Love supreme vinyl value $100-150
New dillinger escape plan album $ 50
New Cat Power album $35
Anything with Elvin Jones $30-$100 depending

New Avril Lavigne album $zero
New Pink album $zero
Any kind of Christian music $less than zero
Well, no it's not pointless because the market supposedly aggregates all these individual valuations into one "going rate" for each item. So if we look at a few responses, we'll probably get some idea of how this could shake out. Here's what I've aquired recently and it's value to me:

Feist-Reminder 10 cents/song
Bjork - Volta 1 cent/song
Modern Dance Mix Compilation made by a friend - 50 cents/song
Paul McCartney memory almost full - 5 cents/song
Siouxsie Mantaray 3 cents/song
Black Eyed Peas elephunk - 10 cents/song
Franz Ferdinand- You could have it - 0 cents per song (great band horrible mastering)
Herbie Hancock- possibilities - 10 cents/song
XTC Drums and Wires - 20 cents/song
David Bowie- Heathen SuperAudio CD - 100 cents/song
Miles Davis - Get Up With It Remasters - 300 cents/song (long songs)
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Maniac
What a complete waste. I am sure you could have found someone is your area who would have gotten lots of use out of those albums.

As far as re-buying them on iTunes???? What a joke, the mp3s sound like crap compared the the CDs.

I am not sure why I even replied to this thread, but it just made me a bit sick.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshepherd View Post
What a complete waste. I am sure you could have found someone is your area who would have gotten lots of use out of those albums.

As far as re-buying them on iTunes???? What a joke, the mp3s sound like crap compared the the CDs.

I am not sure why I even replied to this thread, but it just made me a bit sick.
I don't get it at all either. Every Goodwill or Salvation Army or kid's charity or public library would take them. Or you could have put the lot up on ebay or craigslist for $50 or $100 or dropped them at a pawn shop and let someone else sort them out.

I don't know why anyone would be that eager to put 3000 CDs, cases, and artwork in a landfill. Or be proud of it.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Here's what I've aquired recently and it's value to me:

Feist-Reminder 10 cents/song
Bjork - Volta 1 cent/song
Modern Dance Mix Compilation made by a friend - 50 cents/song
Paul McCartney memory almost full - 5 cents/song
Siouxsie Mantaray 3 cents/song
Black Eyed Peas elephunk - 10 cents/song
Franz Ferdinand- You could have it - 0 cents per song (great band horrible mastering)
Herbie Hancock- possibilities - 10 cents/song
XTC Drums and Wires - 20 cents/song
David Bowie- Heathen SuperAudio CD - 100 cents/song
Miles Davis - Get Up With It Remasters - 300 cents/song (long songs)
Wow. What do you pay for a Coke or bottle of water? A bag of chips? A bus ticket? The gas in your car?

Sorry but some of those prices are just ludicrous.
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
In 1985 I dropped off many hundreds of vinyl mono and stereo records at the Salvation Army. I had taken perfect care of them since I started my collection in the early sixties to include Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones, Velvet Underground, etc. I was moving from Nevada to Tennessee I just didn't want the burden of vinyl since I figured they were obsolete since I swallowed the whole CD thing hook line and sinker. I would love to have those records back.
Do you think I'm going to regret it?
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
I don't get it at all either. Every Goodwill or Salvation Army or kid's charity or public library would take them. Or you could have put the lot up on ebay or craigslist for $50 or $100 or dropped them at a pawn shop and let someone else sort them out.

I don't know why anyone would be that eager to put 3000 CDs, cases, and artwork in a landfill. Or be proud of it.
I still have them in bags in my basement.

The point of this thread is that they are of no value to me. Not where I'm dumping them.

BTW - I'm bringing them to place a few towns away next week. Sheesh.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search