The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cranesong AVOCET users , still happy with it ?
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

As a cat who's about to invest in an Avocet -- what clicks? I haven't been able to find the explanation as to what they are, only several users mentioning them.
Old 25th February 2006
Gear Addict
Same here. What are the clicks all about? I gotta get rid of my Central station!
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

I'm also about to get an Avocet......i believe the clicks come from the relays in the 19" box.

Could an avocet owner tell me which functions click?.......only changing analog sources, or also when changing digital sources?.......thanks!........D
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

To clarify, yes, how often do the clicks come? If it's only when you're switching a source, that's no biggie. If they randomly sound, that's bloody awful.
Old 25th February 2006
They click when you select diff. outs or ins, dig or analog, and when you raise or lower the volume. Basically if you use any function of the box there is a relay click. It's no big deal really, you get used to it. The pros on this box significantly outweigh the cons. It's really unbelievable how much it will simplify the way you work.
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Yelooproducer!.........the relays click when you use that big ol' volume knob??!!!........that seems a bit strange........relays in a volume control???!!!
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

The loudest, most predominant clicks are definitely in the master volume knob... if you're monitoring at low levels, you can clearly hear it clicking as you turn it... I moved the actual rack unit into my closet with my computer and it's fine now, albeit, a bit disappointing... it's a very nice piece of gear otherwise.
Old 25th February 2006
eh it really doesn't bug me. It's a small price to pay for the sound quality and flexibilty. Mine is about 2 feet from me and I'm just used to it now.
Old 25th February 2006
Gear Addict
That doesnt sound like much of an issue to me either. Just move it somewhere away from the listening position.
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS
That doesnt sound like much of an issue to me either. Just move it somewhere away from the listening position.
Yeah, it wasn't until I had to spend $300 today on extra long Mogami cables to reach into my closet where I've relocated the Avocet. So, basically I ended up paying the MSRP for the thing, but oh well, it rocks. Maybe Crane Song will reimburse me for the cables heh
Old 26th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H
Thanks Yelooproducer!.........the relays click when you use that big ol' volume knob??!!!........that seems a bit strange........relays in a volume control???!!!
Strange? ... that's the point.

the attenuation options in anything are Active electronics

or Switches/Relays

or Passive
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Brian, i'll take your word for it (i know next to nothing about electronics!)....i just never heard a volume control that made mechanical clicking noises before!....anyway, i don't want no clicking volume control in my utterly silent studio......it's gonna have to go in the machine room....how long is the cable from the remote to the 19"?.........what format?....can it be extended?
Old 26th February 2006
Gear Guru

it's around 20', i'm not sure exactly as mine is in the bottom of the rack right at my feet ...

http://www.magicgardenmastering.com/equipment.htm

but honestly, at listening levels of 85 db, the clicking is not an issue. listening is intentional, and I block it out.
Old 26th February 2006
Honest - After a very short while, you'll actually come to appreciate it.

Don't hide it, celebrate it.
Old 26th February 2006
Gear Guru

Yeah,once you get the music up to even nominal levels,the clicks aren't an issue
thumbsup
...the thing sounds great.
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.......should be getting one next week!
Old 26th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks guys.......should be getting one next week!
It sounds better than the Grace or Crookwood. Plenty clean.

The advantage over passive is the easy and quick offsets ... and the small gain pots on the IN and OUTs.thumbsup
Old 26th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey

The advantage over passive is the easy and quick offsets ...

Yes,this on the fly offset business is a godsendthumbsup thumbsup
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brian, i'll take your word for it (i know next to nothing about electronics!)....i just never heard a volume control that made mechanical clicking noises before!....anyway, i don't want no clicking volume control in my utterly silent studio......it's gonna have to go in the machine room....how long is the cable from the remote to the 19"?.........what format?....can it be extended?

I'm with you It sounds like a design flaw. If I had clicking noises everytime adjusted my monitors I'd be quite annoyed
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Just got my Avocet.........damn, those clicks are loud!........click click click all day long!?.....no thanks!, it's gone in the machine room.

Anyway, apart from that, I'm very happy with it!
Old 1st March 2006
Here for the gear
I love listening through the Avocet.

My only complaint is that the "DIM" function is an absolute value, instead of a value relative to the current selection. This means its possible for you to hit "DIM" and things actually get louder, depending on your settings.

Every console I've ever sat behind, the dim button is relative to your current volume.

It also would have been nice to have a balanced AUX OUT, but not a big deal.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Price, Extra metering and D/A aside,

has anyone compared the Dangerous Monitor ST to the Avocet
Old 1st March 2006
theother
One of the few things that annoy me is...

sometimes I forget that I have DIM pressed and want to change the volume, but instead I [email protected] up my DIM reduction level.

I wished that with DIM in you had normal Volume control and that setting the DIM reduction level would be a more hidden (shift?) function

I also wished it cam more angled. I put huge rubber feet at the back.

Ideally I had it flush in my desk, but I guess not many have the luxury to do that.

Apart from that I can't complain...
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
Price, Extra metering and D/A aside,

has anyone compared the Dangerous Monitor ST to the Avocet
Nope, but I was seriously thinking about getting the Dangerous one and opted for the Avocet. As petty as it seems, the reason I didn't get the Dangerous is because the volume knob is to the far right of the unit, and I put my controller on the right side always so I can adjust settings with my right hand. If the knob had been on the left side of the unit, I might have bought it. I know, I'm weird.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Question for the avocet users:
Can i activate 2 inputs at the same time? e.g. DAW input and the second output of my pre? Couldnt find that in the manual.

Thnx
Old 2nd March 2006
nope. one at a time.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master
Honest - After a very short while, you'll actually come to appreciate it.

Don't hide it, celebrate it.
I agree. The Dangerous ST does the same thing and at first it's like 'whoa it clicks' but then you realize that the clicking is exactly what you paid for - a highly advanced volume control that isn't using cheap ass VCA's or other sub-par crap to muddy up the sound.

I like the clicking on my ST. Haven't heard the Avocet so I'm not sure how loud the clicks are, but at just about any volume short of super-quiet it shouldn't be a bother.
Old 26th September 2010
Here for the gear

Which mic fro Talkback

Hi Guys,

I plan to get one really soon and was wondering whiwh mic would be suitable for talkback purpose as there's no phantom power on the talkback Input?
My control room is 30m2.

Any inputs are very welcome...

benoit
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Dangerous Monitor ST user here. If I were to sell mine, Avocet would be my 1st choice. Damn is shelling out the extra $$ for the Avocet really worth it for you Avocet users? Only real slutz would spend extra to go a lil higher than what is really necessary but I ain't mad at ya. I would agree that the Avocet looks cooler.
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Addict

A happy Avocet user here. The clicks from the relays are also present in other units and I can totally live with them. The sound quality is outstanding and the features are great.

Regarding the dim function, it is not absolute! Only if the dimmed level goes below the lowest possible setting, it stays there.

Is anyone here who uses the aes metering output? I can't make it just mirror the digital inputs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search