The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mackie Stock Pre's vs FMR RNP
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Mackie Stock Pre's vs FMR RNP

All I have at the moment is a Mackie 1604 VLZ and an FMR audio RNP. When I run vocals through both of them, I can hear a difference in clarity between the two of them. But when I did some kick drum testing through them, the clarity wasn't near as obvious between the two preamps as what it was before.
Is this typical of different sources... some are more apparent than others?

Also, a tag question, which has been somewhat covered on here many times before... "the over rated mic pre" ....

Which one do you think would yield more of a "bang for your buck" return on your investment, upgrading from a $500 mic to a $2,000 mic, or doing the same upgrade with single channel preamps?
(this question of course assumes you don't own any expensive mics or pre's yet)
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Nothin' huh .... bump
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo67 View Post
All I have at the moment is a Mackie 1604 VLZ and an FMR audio RNP. When I run vocals through both of them, I can hear a difference in clarity between the two of them. But when I did some kick drum testing through them, the clarity wasn't near as obvious between the two preamps as what it was before.
Is this typical of different sources... some are more apparent than others?

Also, a tag question, which has been somewhat covered on here many times before... "the over rated mic pre" ....

Which one do you think would yield more of a "bang for your buck" return on your investment, upgrading from a $500 mic to a $2,000 mic, or doing the same upgrade with single channel preamps?
(this question of course assumes you don't own any expensive mics or pre's yet)
My personal view is that until I have a good preamp, and two channels of the same preamp, I don't know what my mics can really do for me. A cheap mic through a really good preamp has always killed a fancy mic into a cheap preamp, for my own purposes.
Old 3rd July 2009
I would tend to disagree unless your preamps are REALLY crappy. Your signal is only as good as your source - no how great your electronics are it won't make up for a crappy mic. GIGO!

That being said, there are many mics available for less than $1000 that are quite respectable......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search