The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender champ speaker replacement suggestions
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Head

Fender champ speaker replacement suggestions

I have 2 little Fender amps, an old vibrochamp and an old musicmaster bass. Both are just the **** for guitars. However, when turned up to 10, which is generally where I like to run them, the speakers rattle and something seems to vibrate in there. Both have 8 inch speakers. Are there any current production replacement speakers which would sound good in these amps. The champ is 6 watts and the musicmaster is 8 watts. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Addict

There are a lot of things in a guitar cab that can rattle; I wouldn't be sure it's the speaker. You can try pressing things with a chopstick while the amp is playing to find the culprit.

A lot of the sound of little Fenders comes from having a fairly low-rated speaker getting pushed hard. You can replace it with a higher-rated speaker, and it will be cleaner, but it won't be the same sound.
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Addict

If you do need a replacement speaker, I would check out WeberVST. They have some budget models in the $30 range that are supposed to be pretty nice, as well as a great variety of vintage clone and modern designs. The discussion board they run can be helpful, as is the user review section (no punches pulled), and Ted Weber is great at responding to email.

Bear
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Ditto
Weber,Weber,weber
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Instead of replacing the speaker, I would run the amp into a 4x12 cabinet instead. You'll get a different sound, but it might help with the rattle. Whenever I use the a little tweed fender at work (that sounds similar to what you've got) I put it through a Marshall 4x12 and it kicks ass.

Ian
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Guru

Fender offers a vintage Champ replacement speaker. I’ve got one here that should get installed into a Vibro-champ this weekend. I'll try to report back.
Old 30th April 2003
One with big hooves

Yeah, Weber is the way to go. Or a small, low wattage Celestion. Actually any low wattage Alnico magnet speaker would be great. Or, run it into a 2x12 cab. I did a whole record with a Princeton and a 2x12 with Vintage 30's, sounds killer. But before you replace the speaker make sure the old one isn't just loose or it isn't something else shaking and making noise.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

I have a Kendrick 8" in a Vibrochamp. It cost me about $50 and is a great little speaker.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

for my princeton (I know it's a 10" jobbie but still) I have nice results with Jensen's replacements speakers. Ceramics AND Alnico, but if I had to choose I'd go with the Alnico - unless you've got for instance a AC30 with Alnico's in which case the ceramic speaker will give you a bit more variation.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Head

How exactly would I run it thru a 4x12. DOes this mean rewiring the speaker cable? I would like to try to avoid that if I can. Are there any guerilla ways to do it without rewiring. Thanks!!!
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

I think that the speaker jack on a Champ is an RCA. All you would need is a cable that connects from RCA to 1/4 inch. <ake sure the 4x12 is the proper impedance and you're good to go. Another small amp that is cool through a big cab is one of those Smokey amps.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Head

You are right. Funny I never looked to see. Thanks!!
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Addict

You've probably already covered this, but rattling can sometimes just mean that the screws holding the speaker against the baffle are loose. This happened to me recently. Tightening them fixed it.
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Head

Tightening was the first thing I did, so that wasn't the problem. I have to tryrunning it to a 4x12. That sounds interesting. Thanks!
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Nut

It's really easy to pull the chasis and replace the RCA speaker out with a 1/4" jack. I also did this with the trem switch input on my VibroChamp, so I can use the same dedicated switch on my pedalboard for trem switching on the little Fender or other amps. An adaptor will work, but having a 1/4" strikes me as a much more solid way to go.

If you drive a separate cab, know that Champs and VibroChamps are happiest when presented with a 4 ohm load.

And another vote for Weber speakers, webervst.com.

I like their P8Q, but I'm strongly partial to Alnico in pickups and speakers alike.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

Don't run your Champ to 10. I run mine at about three or four and get extremely aggressive sound.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Nut

Huh?
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by writethis
Huh?
My '62 Tweed Fender Champ is class "A" which means that it has a single power-tube. This tube is taking power constantly as opposed to most other Fender amps in which power alternates between two tubes (Class "A/B").

This Class "A" feature of the Champ makes it a very aggressive sound. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top has used a Champ, especially on early stuff. Eric Clapton reportedly used a Champ on the Layla sessions.

In my experience, I have had great results recording with it using a gain pedal but not really cranking it up past 12 o'clock.

I once burned out my speaker and found a vintage replacement at Cold Springs Electrical Works in Mass. 413-323-8869, a good source for vintage speakers and NOS tubes. Weber is also a good place to find a modern replacement.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Nut

Ahh...tweed. Now your answer makes sense. I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that we were talking about a later version with a tone stack. My 70s VibroChamp is my personal frame of reference, so that's where I was coming from.

Of course, they're single-ended Class A as well, but tend to break up much later than their tweed brethren.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Addict

Yeah, the second gain stage an a blackface or silverface Fender ends up being largely makeup gain for the loss from the tone stack. Tweeds have the eq later, so they can be much more gain-ey. You could try bypassing the tone stack or finding a tone stack with less loss to get more gain out of the sf or bf, but I haven't tried it.

Bear
Old 2nd May 2003
One with big hooves

What the hell is a tone stack? I'm guessing something to do with the caps in the tone control circuit?
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Addict

Exactly, Jay. The tone controls in pretty much every guitar amp are an array of passive R/C filters (resistor/capacitor), kind of like a cheap and simple version of what the Pultec filter section is (no inductors, though). The more shaping power the tone section has, the more potential for loss their typically is. So, like a Pultec, you have the need for makeup gain.

BTW, the one active tone control you are likely to see on most amps is a Presence control, which taps off the negative feed back loop around the power stage and limits the amount of highs being controlled by the loop, meaning that you get those highs back in the signal, rather undamped and lively. Since the negative feedback loop provides correction for distortions introduced into the signal by the power section (at least in theory), a sound with presence in is likely to have more of a "gainy" tone to it.

Bear
Old 30th July 2016
Here for the gear

I would like to upgrade the speaker in my red knob champ 12, any suggestions ?
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoh View Post
I would like to upgrade the speaker in my red knob champ 12, any suggestions ?
I would call Weber and tell them how you will be using it. If its for recording or low volume gigs, they can suggest a speaker that will be best for that application. They can vary the amount of "doping" used to glue the cone to the surround to make the speaker stiffer (cleaner at all volumes) or looser to get some nice speaker distrortion at lower volumes.

They also can suggest speakers that are voiced for different amp types. I have a Pro Reverb with 2x 12's that i use for recording. I bought 2 lighly doped speakers, one designed for a Fender Blackface voicing, and the other more reminiscent of a Vox. In this way, i can get recordings that sound like i had two different amps in the studio.

Speakers can make a huge impact on the sound of an amp.

I hopw Ted Webers sons have carried on the great customer service he offered before his death.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Weber all the way! I have a '57 reissue Fender Champ that came with an Alnico 8" Weber speaker and it's my main recording amp. **** tone controls, you don't need them!

Biggest surprise though was putting a replacement 6" Weber speaker in a cheapo Chinese-made Fender Champion 600. The amp went from being absolutely unusable (even for practicing) to something that is as good (if slightly different, brighter and less powerful) as the '57 Champ.
Old 30th July 2016
For a replacement speaker, 8 inch, 4 ohm, also check out Jenson_Mod.

Jensen MOD8-20 20W 8" Replacement Speaker | Musician's Friend

gl.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search