The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Actually, let's call this the 99% thread...
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticwritings View Post
here was a time when good music would rise to the top. That time is a time GONE BY.
This is wrong. Music qualitiy is and has never been the major point. Boy, music making and distribution has always changed since the beginning of mankind. Adapt, adpot and improve. If you've chosen that way change is part of it.
Claus
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
You clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. It's actually more pathetic than funny. How old are you?
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

There has never been a better time to be in an independent band. The internet may have been disastrous for the industry as a whole, but it has done wonders in terms of giving smaller bands a chance. Do you think a band like Phoenix or Fleet Foxes would ever have been given a spot on Saturday Night Live 20 or even 10 years ago? Not a chance. Things are only getting better for indie bands. Finally, a kid in his bedroom can find a huge audience if the music is good enough. With the advent of cheap home recording and the internet, marketability and opportunity no longer have to be synonymous. And that is a very good thing.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the white View Post
Finally, a kid in his bedroom can find a huge audience if the music is good enough. With the advent of cheap home recording and the internet, marketability and opportunity no longer have to be synonymous. And that is a very good thing.
exactly, and we have this new digital democracy to thank for Brokencyde... uhhhhhh...
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Well, I'm not sure if your post was lighthearted or if the Brokencyde example was a legitimate way of refuting the benefits of the internet age. Of course some terrible music will still get popular, especially that which appeals to a younger demographic. Either way, the amount of great, creative music that has found an audience through the internet far outweighs the negative side of a few crappy bands getting mass exposure.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the white View Post
Well, I'm not sure if your post was lighthearted or if the Brokencyde example was a legitimate way of refuting the benefits of the internet age. Of course some terrible music will still get popular, especially that which appeals to a younger demographic. Either way, the amount of great, creative music that has found an audience through the internet far outweighs the negative side of a few crappy bands getting mass exposure.
to clarify it was mostly light hearted, but it also illustrates that it's still a mixed bag. Why do Brokencyde get popular and other highly talented artists still languish in obscurity? It highlights why the music biz was important (to some extent), because a lot of us aren't talented at both music and business and marketing... The balance of power definitely shifted off the artists and onto the marketers as it became more and more apparent the marketers could make or break anyone, regardless of how talented (talentless) they were. Now it's swinging back the other way, but how long will we revel in this renaissance? At some point the talented will get fed up with not being heard and unable to market will sell themselves to someone with savvy and money. Likewise those who are savvy, even with little discernable talent, will rise to the top.
Of course the playing field is more leveled under the scenerio of where things are headed, but you get the point, it's still a mixed bag.
Old 3rd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
exactly, and we have this new digital democracy to thank for Brokencyde... uhhhhhh...

hahahahahhahahahaha. crunkcore wtf?

im with you dude.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Don't believe the popaganda, the OP is fairly right. I do however have more faith in the fact that there is ALWAYS a huge demand for good music and it will find it's way out there. Most likely through the big machine. Internet geaks love to paint themselves as the saviour of the music industry (and the world). Now THAT is ridiculous.
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton foxx
Intonator...Salvation, rated e.a.d.g.b.e...
Dude, you nailed it! Welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James
Awesome. Can I play a bad guy?
Man, you look like a bad guy. Now... to kill you off in some horrendous way and then bring you back for the sequel!!!
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

CompEq, i´d say you (as the creator of this upcoming movie) should make up
a new thread (gear free zone) where we can discuss this epic (!) project.

Otherwise things might get very offtopic... what do you think?

ps: yeah, Darwin would be awesome as a bad guy!
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Addict

Indie labels have always been funded by people with day jobs who love the music, and I can't see that stopping any time soon.

Next!
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune
CompEq, i´d say you (as the creator of this upcoming movie) should make up
a new thread (gear free zone) where we can discuss this epic (!) project.
It started off as my comment in regard so a (IMHO) ridiculous assertion that seems so completely backwards that I ventured off into an equally plausible and equally ridiculous scenario. I was just giving props to those who came aboard for the ride. Sorry you missed the point.

It's been stated before by those more to the point than I, but though the Majors will continue to fund and support big acts, their heyday is over and there is much more opportunity for bands to develop thier own followings and strike out on their own without having to cross thier fingers and wait to be signed as was the case. If their local following didn't generate enough momentum for a Major lable to take notice then they would never rise above playing the local circuit. Now they can have fans around the world who buy CDs or downloads directly and can also promote themselves through video and updates that immediately connect to their fanbase. Their are more acts doing this and so there will also be a lot more music to (choose from/wade through - pick one) but more styles less likely to fall into the "Pop" category can also be heard. Good for the fan, good for the band.

Now if the Majors have any sense left (and judging by the way they snubbed their noses at Napster and are losing the download battle) they clearly missed the boat. They would then pay heavy attention to the upcoming brew of new artists and take a page out of history (remember artist development?) to really blow the socks off their competition.

I happen to remember (at least the tail end) of the big budget productions - now there are so few it hardly counts. If they were to do things my way, it would bring the Majors back from the dead (if they would listen) to a time where they had control over their artists profits from sales. But things would have to be handled quite differently because the Marie Antoinette days are gone.

I like big budgets and I cannot lie!
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Head

The main thing is getting looked over, the teenage psychology.

With the money decreasing for the large bands due to the internet, the sociology of the music industry has changed and will continue to change. There are less and less people from what I can tell that see "rockstar" or "musician" or even "pop star" as some super-cool job, it's being turned into a losing job. It still has a while to catch on, but as the money for it drops down to a normal salary, the teenage idea of being a music icon will die. No one will be super famous like people are now because so much music will be proliferated, and so the psyche of the people who turn into musicians will change.

We have a generation coming where musician is not something someone just tries to be for the glamor and money, but they will have to do it for the passion of music. It will be a job, but not the best paying one. It won't be a glamor job and people will actually need to know how to write compositions.

On the other hand, new things like video gaming will become the new glamor jobs. It's sad, but I see it already happening.

Is it sad? That seems to say the quality of music will rise. People like Paris Hilton won't just do it for the money and glamor because it will be a money losing endeavor! I like that change.

However, major labels won't leave. The idea of the major label will change. You can already see now that there are more good indie labels. What will happen is the definition of indie label will change and become much more proliferated. There will be a lot more labels all making less money than the majors ever did. There will be less artists competing for spots too since you won't have Joe Cool pick up the guitar in Junior year trying to make music because he thinks he can get a lot of money.

With more supply of jobs for musicians due to more labels, music needed for movies and games that are proliferating like crazy, and the need for live musicians, and less demand because of less payment and glamor, you will have it turn more into a stable job. It will be musicians who play music for a small pay everyday instead of the boom or bust system we have now. It will steadily reach equilibrium.

So will majors take over? Yes. But will majors be the same thing as today? Hell no.
Old 12th July 2009
Here for the gear

Hmm... So slowly this thread starts to turn back my way. I stand behind MOST of what I wrote, but I want to add some things. Computers can't save the world, or music either. People have this mistaken notion that the internet is the answer to all the problems in the music business. So where were we with respect to MAJOR LABEL DOMINANCE?

THOSE WHO CONTROL MASS MEDIA CONTROL THE RECORD BUSINESS...

IT"S THAT SIMPLE... AND THE BIG LABELS STILL HAVE ALL THE CONNECTIONS...
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticwritings View Post

THOSE WHO CONTROL MASS MEDIA CONTROL THE RECORD BUSINESS...
I don't know, Twitter just beat the mass media in Iran. Ok Go got everything off of Youtube. Playing For Change didn't get onto the media. I haven't given any money towards stuff in the mass media but I have towards stuff that's good. The mass media also has been much more proliferated, looking at Huffington Post and Politico. In fact, anyone can get Financial Times and BBC papers online, no country gap anymore. You can get Al Jazzera if you wanted to. The "mass media" is becoming a larger group of outlets controlling a smaller mass of people... that doesn't sound like a powerful future.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search