The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Dynamaxx as Mixbus-Comp?
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

SPL Dynamaxx as Mixbus-Comp?

Im wondering if a SPL Dynamaxx would work as a mixbus comp. What do you think? Has anybody tried it or has the ability to try?

Would be nice to know. Thanks a lot.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

anybody?
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Head

Hi!

We use the Dynamaxx in our sum when we play life - means Drumcomputers, Synthesizers and so on. He catches the peaks because sometimes the mix is becoming wrong during playing. In this case he makes a very good job, that means in a range of 5 db you won't hear it, very neutral. Beyound 5 db GR the mix is becoming also louder but changes the sound especially the bass range. This is a matter of taste. For me it works perfect. Because our sound is often too heavy bass influenced and the Dynamaxx reduces the energy in this band but you still can hear everything. So he does the job wonderful but I have to admit that we have no comparison to other analog compressors. Life is this thing really cool, especially when you have other things to do then permantly checking the settings.
At home you shouldn't drive the unit too hard because it's changing the sound.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Loco View Post
Hi!
= Hi!
Quote:
We use the Dynamaxx in our sum when we play life
= We use the Dynamaxx on the master buss when we play live
Quote:
- means Drumcomputers, Synthesizers and so on.
= Our music utilizes such sources as drum machines, synthesizers and so on.
Quote:
He catches the peaks because sometimes the mix is becoming wrong during playing.
=It catches the peaks and prevents the mix from exceeding acceptable dynamic range during the performance.
Quote:
In this case he makes a very good job, that means in a range of 5 db you won't hear it, very neutral.
=In this application it is very well suited. It is particularly neutral when compressing 5db or less.
Quote:
Beyound 5 db GR the mix is becoming also louder but changes the sound especially the bass range.
=Beyond 5 db of GR, the mix becomes louder, but the compression begins to affect the tonality of the source material, especially in the bass region.
Quote:
This is a matter of taste. For me it works perfect. Because our sound is often too heavy bass influenced and the Dynamaxx reduces the energy in this band but you still can hear everything.
=This is a matter of taste. It works perfectly for me. Our mixes can often be too bass heavy, and the Dynamaxx helps by reducing the energy in the offending frequency band thus opening up the mix and enhancing clarity.
Quote:
So he does the job wonderful but I have to admit that we have no comparison to other analog compressors.
=The Dynamaxx does a wonderful job, however I must admit that we have not compared it to other compressors.
Quote:
Life is this thing really cool, especially when you have other things to do then permantly checking the settings.
=Live this thing is really cool. Especially when you don't have time to sit and fiddle with compressor settings.
Quote:
At home you shouldn't drive the unit too hard because it's changing the sound.
=In the studio you should be conservative with your gain staging, because driving the input hard definitely affects the sound.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot for this information. Any other opinions?
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Head

@ Empire Prod:
Yeah, I know. My english isn't the best. Sorry for that.
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Empire Prod:
Yeah, I know. My english isn't the best. Sorry for that.
No problem. thumbsup I just thought it was a good post, so I helped out a little bit.
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
My english isn't the best. Sorry for that.

You don't owe anybody any apologies for not writing in perfect English; your meaning and your language were crystal clear, which is all that's important in communications.

To answer your question, ime the Dynamaxx is pretty effective at making a mix louder without adding artifacts, but it doesn't really have much (if any) glue. So if your mix is already together and you just want to pump it up a bit, it's a great tool. But if you're looking for something to mix into, something that will pull your sounds together, I'd look elsewhere.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
You don't owe anybody any apologies for not writing in perfect English; your meaning and your language were crystal clear, which is all that's important in communications.

To answer your question, ime the Dynamaxx is pretty effective at making a mix louder without adding artifacts, but it doesn't really have much (if any) glue. So if your mix is already together and you just want to pump it up a bit, it's a great tool. But if you're looking for something to mix into, something that will pull your sounds together, I'd look elsewhere.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Thanks a lot. Thats all I wanted to know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search