The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Score! Ampeg B-15-N - Tips/Tricks?
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Head

thumbsup re20..flat wounds..works for me!
Old 10th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy
Hi Jim, thanks ever so much. I'm sure I am speaking for many of us who have benefited from your wealth of expertise when I say that you set the standard for being a gearslut, knowledge, wisdom and the class and confidence to share with others who could improve their craft with this information. thumbsup

So, as you can guess, it isn't hifi witchcraft, the deflex panels work like a charm....all my notes are even and full, even with the 5 string.

Thanks!!!!!!

Andy
If you like those panels in your bass amp, wait 'till you try them in your studio monitors, fixes the boxy sound and midrange clog around 200~400 hz.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

How does the SB-12 compare sonically to the B-15?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

My Favorite bass amps..

I've got 4 B-15's...
All are slightly different sounding, but they all retain that great Ampeg sound.
I either use one of them or a B-25B or the SVT, depending on what style music I'm cutting at the moment.

But by far the B-15's are my favorite.

3 of them are the original old style, one is from the 70's and then I bought the Matchless version, which is fabulous on it's own, BUT NOT A B-15!
Haha

Usually I'll mic them with a Fet-47, and the subkick, but I also love the Beyer TGX-50.

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Attached Thumbnails
Score! Ampeg B-15-N - Tips/Tricks?-bassfavs.jpg  
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

OK.

That's just one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Tone for days and days and days.

Just for fun, have you ever tried recording keyboards or guitars or other material through your B15's in stereo?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nothing like a B-15, B-18, B-12 on bass!

I've done keys with two B-15's facing forward....About 6 feet apart,
and then using a Royer SF-12 stereo mic a few feet infront of them in between the two. Set up like a triangle
Got some great sounds!

They are truely THE BEST Bass amp! (in my opinion)
Although I love the Matchless, I doesn't do what the B-15 does!

And the cabinets also make great subkick style mics....

Paul
Old 10th June 2006
500 series nutjob

paul you absolutely ROCK!
i only have one but i want another!
cool photo.
i did not know Matchless made one, what did they call it?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

THE THUNDERMAN~!

It's called The "Thunderman"

And it's a cool 45-watts.

2 x EL34 tubes, and it has a tube rectifier.

Very interesting looking amp. It's very similar to the old Ampeg B-15 flip-top amps, as the head unlatches from the body, and can be flipped over
(with electronics inside the closed back cab), latched down, and ready to be moved. Clever design by Ampeg, and Matchless capitalized on it. Though be forewarned, it's not light. Actually it's pretty damn heavy!
The thing lights up like a power plant when turned on, and of course the backlit controls not only look cool but can be seen from far away.

It has an eq complement of Treble, Bass, Brilliance (similar to a presence, but it can really add crispiness or take it away), Volume, and a knob also for Sensitivity.
I assume this is an input sensitivity control, so you could use active and passive pickups for bass.
It also has a switch on the front, that turns on a built in compressor.
Which is a very soft compression circuit, in this instance is a pretty "invisible" or transparent effect.
It has two speaker outs (and a big chicken head knob to switch from 4, 8, and 16 ohms), and also has effects send and return jacks!

It has a 15" speaker, but I don't know what kind. I believe it's a modified Celestian?

Paul
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Speaking of Old ampegs.. I picked up this badboy about 2 weeks ago. It has not dissapointed..!!! any one know where I can get one of those matching cabs?

Attached Thumbnails
Score! Ampeg B-15-N - Tips/Tricks?-ampegb-25b.jpg  
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Maniac
What size paneals did you use?

How many panels did you use?
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

I made my own B15 clone using an old Traynor YBA-2B amp cabinet and chassis. It sounds awesome. I like to use a Heil PR40 up close on the grill. Anyone who is a fan of the RE20 on bass might want to check out the Heil since it was designed as an RE20 killer as I understand. I don't have a lot of experience using the RE20, but the Heil has very extended low end and great midrange presence.

Brad
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
If you like those panels in your bass amp, wait 'till you try them in your studio monitors, fixes the boxy sound and midrange clog around 200~400 hz.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim,

I really curious about this product. So does it actually make the speaker flatter or does it make it more scooped sounding? Are you using these in your studio monitors? Do you recommend covering all the interior walls of the speaker or just the rear wall?

Brad
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Nut

what are deflex panels made of ? can we make them ourselves ?
Old 6th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Jim,

I really curious about this product. So does it actually make the speaker flatter or does it make it more scooped sounding? Are you using these in your studio monitors? Do you recommend covering all the interior walls of the speaker or just the rear wall?

Brad
For studio monitors the square panels across the back is correct. You don't mount them to the sides, they are left bare. This stops all reflections from the back, including those that first bounce off the sides. Tap on the side your favorite monitor. Hear that tone? That's the cabinet resonance, this is eliminated. You won't notice it until you remove it as we all have become accustomed to it.

In bass cabinets, I recommend the 15" round panels, mounted to each side and the back. Use silicon glue/adhesive to mount them. Allow 24 hours to dry. Wash the panels first as the coating must be removed to glue them.

Deflex panels are made from latex, about one molecule short of being in a liquid state. No, you can't make these without a chemical factory. There are no substitutes for them.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 6th March 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
I made my own B15 clone using an old Traynor YBA-2B amp cabinet and chassis. It sounds awesome. I like to use a Heil PR40 up close on the grill. Anyone who is a fan of the RE20 on bass might want to check out the Heil since it was designed as an RE20 killer as I understand. I don't have a lot of experience using the RE20, but the Heil has very extended low end and great midrange presence.

Brad
brad which b-15 did you clone?
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Jim, I see Deflex makes a subwoofer panel that looks to be twice as thick in the center section as their other panels. Have you tried or do you recomend that over the standard thickness choices? Have you tried it in speakers that are larger than their panel sizes and if so did you use multiple panels or any special layout tricks?

http://www.deflex.co.uk/cgi-bin/defl...deflexshop.cgi
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
For studio monitors the square panels across the back is correct. You don't mount them to the sides, they are left bare. This stops all reflections from the back, including those that first bounce off the sides. Tap on the side your favorite monitor. Hear that tone? That's the cabinet resonance, this is eliminated. You won't notice it until you remove it as we all have become accustomed to it.
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming you remove all existing batting from the speaker enclosure before inserting the Deflex panels just like one would do for the bass cabiinet?

Any tips how to handle monitors that have an integrated power amp that occupies the rear wall of the enclosure? In that case what would you recommend?

thanks,
Brad
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
brad which b-15 did you clone?
I cloned the mid-60's B15N I think...50 watt model using two 6L6's and two 6SL7 preamp tubes. Actually it's more like a stripped down version of this:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/ampeg/b12nc-jp.gif

I just did a solid state rectifier and implemented only channel one which has the low and high gain inputs. There are no ultra high or low switches. The power transformer was the Hammond from the YBA-2B that I cannibalized. The output transformer was a Mercury Magnetics replacement B15 transformer running at 8 ohms. I used Sozo and Mallory 150 caps. All electrolytics are either Sprague Atoms or 500V Nichicon axials. I have NOS Philips 6SL7GT's and JJ 6L6's. It sounds bad ass.

Norman Nomad has done a bunch of reamping with it so he can vouch.

Brad
Old 7th March 2007
500 series nutjob

thanks Brad
those are some awesome amps.
i have been thinking of something similar.
maybe it will be ready before i to old.
Old 7th March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Jim, I see Deflex makes a subwoofer panel that looks to be twice as thick in the center section as their other panels. Have you tried or do you recomend that over the standard thickness choices? Have you tried it in speakers that are larger than their panel sizes and if so did you use multiple panels or any special layout tricks?

http://www.deflex.co.uk/cgi-bin/defl...deflexshop.cgi
Those are new and I havn't tried them. I suppose they have some suggestions for those as well. I used square panels in the JBL's, they cover the entire back except for a cut out for the crossover.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th March 2007
Quote:
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming you remove all existing batting from the speaker enclosure before inserting the Deflex panels just like one would do for the bass cabinet?

Any tips how to handle monitors that have an integrated power amp that occupies the rear wall of the enclosure? In that case what would you recommend?

thanks,
Brad
Yes, all stuffing is removed. For those "self powered" speakers, forget it. These panels covering the power amp will probably cause the amps to overheat and fail.
Besides, these are intended for high quality speakers, those with amps built in normally don't qualify as high quality but mid level at best. Some have the cabinet properly sealed off with the amp mounted on the outside of the box, those will do for this treatment.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Well I guess I'm out of luck this time. But I will definitely keep these tips in mind for when I have a passive speaker to play with.

thanks,
Brad
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Addict

Picked up an Ampeg B15-N today !!

I am hoping to revive this old thread. I've lusted after one of these little bass amps and I finally scored mine today. I was hoping maybe one of you fellow Slutz may tell me how to date it. Also, even though it sounds good I am interested in replacing the tubes with some NOS. Any info would be appreciated. Also great mic'ing suggestions are in this old thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Score! Ampeg B-15-N - Tips/Tricks?-cimg0612.jpg   Score! Ampeg B-15-N - Tips/Tricks?-cimg0615.jpg   Score! Ampeg B-15-N - Tips/Tricks?-cimg0618.jpg  
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

I too have a fliptop (B-15R) . . . like everyone says, a fliptop is great bass amp! Have also used it with a big body Gibson guitar for a cool jazz guitar sound many times. I have had the vintage B15 as well.

Regarding the SB-12 . . . . I had one and sold it. Have since been kicking myself in the ass, because I could get an old tube SVT-ish sound out of that thing that I can't get with a B-15. I could get the perfect amount of 'tube' amp overdrive out of it. Just the right amount for rock bass blended with a DI.

I find the best recorded B15 sound is when it's at a lower output. I too like a RE20 at times, depending on the sound I am seeking . . . though not long ago, I used my Brauner VM1 on figure 8 that sounded really good for a bit of edge. I used a Soundelux 195 once that was ok . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
How does the SB-12 compare sonically to the B-15?
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

I just recently came into a B15N. I noticed that the power cable has only two prongs, no ground, it looks like the cable originally had a third prong but it was removed.

I am concerned that this could lead to a hazardous situation at some point. Should I get the wiring checked out by a tech to see if anything is messed up?
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
I just recently came into a B15N. I noticed that the power cable has only two prongs, no ground, it looks like the cable originally had a third prong but it was removed.

I am concerned that this could lead to a hazardous situation at some point. Should I get the wiring checked out by a tech to see if anything is messed up?
The previous owner was most likely experiencing some ground hum and so they probably pulled the pin (which was pretty common) in an attempt to make it more quiet. You could cut off the plug and put on a new one with a ground pin and see how noisy it is. Once you have done that, you can always use a ground lift rather than pull the pin out.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
The previous owner was most likely experiencing some ground hum and so they probably pulled the pin (which was pretty common) in an attempt to make it more quiet. You could cut off the plug and put on a new one with a ground pin and see how noisy it is. Once you have done that, you can always use a ground lift rather than pull the pin out.
Thanks, good suggestion.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

it's a removable on the B15N, so just replace it with a grounded plug
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
it's a removable on the B15N, so just replace it with a grounded plug
Unfortunately on mine the power cable is captive.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

hmmmm . . on mine it is removable. It should be very easy to install a grounded one. Hope you enjoy it. I find it records best on lowest wattage at a fairly low volume. Though od course you can drive it for a bit of edge. You can also turn off the tweet or run a direct out if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
Unfortunately on mine the power cable is captive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search