The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NEW Alice In Chains song (link to download)
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

NEW Alice In Chains song (link to download)

Oh boy. They are back! Sounds friggin awesome. Great great song. Now I can't wait for the full album to come out!!!

Download here:

Alice In Chains
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Addict

So AIC is a nu-metal band now?

I HATE the production on this. HATE! Sounds like ****ing Godsmack with better players.

This is not good.
Old 30th June 2009
Its not Lane!!!!!

Saw the original AIC years ago. They killed the show!
Old 30th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala View Post
Oh boy. They are back! Sounds friggin awesome. Great great song. Now I can't wait for the full album to come out!!!

Download here:

Alice In Chains
Thanks! Looking forward to hear it.
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Addict

yeah, i'm not a fan of this

this is Alice in Chains as much as the band touring under the name "Lynyrd Skynyrd" is Lynyrd Skynyrd, or as much as the band touring under the name "The Misfits" is The Misfits, or as much as the band that recently toured under the name "The Dead Kennedys" was the Dead Kennedys.

Point is that the most important part is missing, and it is noticable.

Plus the song is just as boring as it was when all of those crappy bands released it over and over again under different names over the last ten years, IMO.

oh, I got it:

it's like if Michael Jackson's touring band got together tomorrow and went on tour and called themselves...... "Michael Jackson"
Old 30th June 2009
Downloaded, checked it out..........

Sorry, this is not Alice In Chains and it makes me angry that they decided to use the name anyway. I saw an interview with Kinney a while back where he said he didn't mind using it for the one tour, but that he didn't want to release any new music under that name. It appears the almighty dollar wins again. Lame. dfegad

(no offense to the OP)
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

calling the band Alice in Chains without Layne Staley
is disrespectful
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Love old AIC from Layne days and I think this sounds great! Looking forward to album.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
Love old AIC from Layne days and I think this sounds great! Looking forward to album.
Indeed!

Of course Layne is dead. And they went with the same name. Who cares? Good music is good music... I was a diehard fan back in the early/mid 90's, Layne was THE singer in my book. And I luv this new stuff!
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

I expected more. Much more.

Weak song. It's way too long and it constantly repeats. Where's the guitar solo? Where's the "twisted" hook? I hate the snare.

The guitars sound way too processed, much like the drums.

I hope this isn't indicative of the rest of the album. Otherwise, they won't get my money.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

This song reminds me of something off Boggy Depot. IMO, without Layne there is no AiC.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

I think the production is decent. The song is certainly way too long for no reason. There are some things about it that have that AIC vibe and Jerry singing most of the stuff has a lot to do with it. They are going to make a "Journey" conversion, methinks.

I still have hope
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

two words... s--t sandwich.

oto
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

I don't know.
I've always been a huge AIC fan, and if I had to make a list of the best rock records of the '90s, my first pick would probably be "Dirt".
I learned guitar playing to "Facelift" back in the day.

Still, I find this song way too long and uninteresting. I got bored halfways!
No guitar solos, and I'm not too fond of the sound as well: it's too heavy in a "post-grunge generic modern hardrock band" way, and it just does not sound "sick" enough. I don't know how to express that in other words.

I like the vocal harmonies. They are masters in that anway.
But there's no Layne, and it shows.
I don't know.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Love the vibe.....It may not be AIC, but it's the closest well get.....

I actually like the sound of the record.....vocals are a little back in spots, but still cool.

Usually the 1st tune you'll hear is not the single, but a representation of the record and what is to come......the record will have some more traditional arrangements.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

YouTube - Alice in Chains - A Looking In View

drums are too triggered for my tastes. and wow the vocals really just aren't the same without layne. AIC was all about the awesome vox.

but i don't blame them for trying. i'm sure it will find an audience.
Old 1st July 2009
Layne was unique, great, and the obvious face of the band; but Jerry, his writing, his guitar, and his vocals were also a big part of AiC's sound and success.

Sure, it will never be the same, but I'm open to the new stuff. There are things about the new song I like, and it definitely has an AiC feel. It's quite a few years later, and I wouldn't expect it to just be a rehash of the old stuff. I'll have to wait and see what the rest of the album brings, but I go in with an open mind, and wish them well.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Sure, it's not the same as Layne's, but who cares?

I'm loving the mix and inmense guitar sound, the vibe is classic AIC, but it's a bit too long for me.

About "there's no AIC without Layne, they shouldn't use the name"

Well, did you say the same thing with Ac/Dc? Black Sabbath? not comparing them obviously, but they also changed singers and remain respectful to everybody in that sense.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Parts of it reminded me of We Die Young. I liked it. Guitar hooks became more obvious 2nd time around. No Layne but good vocals from Jerry and they provide a link to the past
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

I didn't even notice it was 7 minutes long. So I don't think it's too long. I really like the guitar sounds, and actually I like the whole production. I'm not usually a fan of triggered stuff.. but somehow it just makes perfect sense in this song. The chorus is catchy, and of course it would be catchier with Layne's voice. Now it's a Jerry chorus. Still very good.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

I liked the vibe and sound, but the vocal is mediocre and there's no lyrical hook.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Enh...too long, not enough of a hook. None of the lyrics/lyrical hooks even came close to leaving an impression. The guitar sound was good (as usual...AIC has always recorded amazing guitar tones), and Jerry's voice was nicely prominent but...I won't be rushing to listen to more of this. The other lead singer's vocals were just lame.
Old 1st July 2009
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quite "Angry Chair" and "rain when I die" ish.

I don't really mind this. It's never gonna be the same or as good as old Alice in chains, but **** happens.

Decaffeinated AIC.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Cantrell was always as big a part of AIC as Layne was. So I have no problem with them trying to continue without him. But it's delusional to think they could ever achieve the same level without Layne. But i think it's just as good as anything else out there today. Better if you really love Jerry Cantrell. But it was ten times better with Layne Staley. People like him can't be replaced and I don't think they were trying to replace him. I just think they wanted to continue as best they could.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Its always harder to convincingly fill someone else's boots than to just be yourself. I like Duvall. I like his voice and I don't know why there is such resistance to change. I'm just glad Cantrell and Co. are still making music and still enjoying it. They proved their chops a long time ago so now they got nothing left to prove to me.

I don't care what name they use for their music. Alice in Chains is as good as any if you don't go listening to it burdened with expectations of Facelift + Dirt mark II. Thats just setting yourself up for disappointment and the people doing it need to wake the hell up and get over the fact that at the end of the day its just a name and if you feel betrayed or annoyed or upset about Cantrell using it to record new material then jesus christ are you carrying around alot of emotional baggage.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

I don't think it's any disrespect to carry on, look at ACstikeDC; Brian Johnson didn't take anything away from Bon Scott.

Or Black Sabbath with Dio, it held up quite nice on its own.

Or Ozzy after Randy Rhoads.

Some bands like Chicago (after Terry Kath [RIP]) >---> enter Peter Cetara, weren't just bad, they destroyed my childhood in a searing fireball of prepubescent destitution

Alice in Chains right now, I dunno, I don't think it's working. It's forgettable.

They need a big powerful vocal that carries the weight, again an Ozzy or Dio, but not screechy like Axl or Chris Cornell

Last edited by JoeyM; 1st July 2009 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: added crude illustration: ">--->"
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
Love the vibe.....It may not be AIC, but it's the closest well get.....

I actually like the sound of the record.....vocals are a little back in spots, but still cool.

Usually the 1st tune you'll hear is not the single, but a representation of the record and what is to come......the record will have some more traditional arrangements.
Well "closest" just isn't close enough in my book. They should have just hung it up and left it there. I hate when bands do this.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

I bet it sells 2million+ units.

Haven't listened to these guys in years, wasn't expecting them to be a timewarp to 1992, but I wasn't expecting this either. Jerry's guitar tone is very contemporary, but not really very distinctive. In 1990 when "Man in the Box" came out, that tone was distinctive. I think he could have done better.

Drums fit the song, but I just don't like the sound. Too processed.

No complaints on the vocals. Yes, Layne was a more interesting singer but this isn't bad.

Overall, I think the backwards baseball cap crowd is gonna dig it. The 35-and-older demographic, maybe not.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post

They look too old to be making such juvenile music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search