The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
- where are the good studio drummers hiding ?
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Addict

- where are the good studio drummers hiding ?

- so, I write/produce/develop pop/rock acts in Hollywood CA. Moved here 5 years ago from Europe and have been fairly successful and worked with a number of the best drummers in the biz here. Some were good and didn't need much tweaking on the timing - others did. Sometimes I've been accused by the bands I've worked with of being too agressive on editing the timing of the drummers, but what do you do when the drummer is just not delivering what you need to make a song a hit ? right ? do you hire a replacement drummer and make the band drummer feel like a loser or do you tweak the hell out of the kid and make it sound decent - and then replace most of his sounds cuz that's the other problem - a fantastic drummer has an amazingly balanced sound right out of the box and you could record him with just a few mics and have a mix.

I want two things out of this thread:

1. drummers, stop whining about getting tweaked and start practicing laying down the BEAT instead of focusing on your hair and nails and tatoos and whatever else. You're forcing us to make generic sounding records.

2. anyone in LA who can recommend awesome drummers with a pocket like some of the truly great studio drummers like Jeff Porcaro, Bernard Purdie but with the punch and agressive attitude of Dave Grohl ? I'd LOVE to hear UNTWEAKED examples - don't care for what it sounds like AFTER Beat Detective...don't care much for odd meters and fancy fill-ins either...if you can do it and keep time, cool - chances are your time is gonna be all over the place when u try to get too clever...

- my next thread will be similar but for singers...dear someone help me find artists who don't need all the technology I can get my hands on to sound tight/in tune...
Old 30th June 2009
member no 666

Moving **** around in a DAW is all well and good if the drummer sucks... but moving it around to make it "perfect" is masturbation on it's best day.

Where are all the great drummers? Hell if I know... but there are enough excellent drummers in my "Rolodex" ["batphone"] that I have never found the need [except on some pre-production demo ****e] to move a drummer's playing around in a DAW.

I suggest you log the phone numbers of drummers that don't suck and be able to call them as necessary. If you were on the East coast I'd be happy to share the list with you... but seeing as you're on the not right coast you'll have to develop your list on your own [or get some clients with a flight / hotel budget]

Peace.
Old 30th June 2009
Come up here to the Bay Area man. I've got 4 or 5 guys dying for gigs like this that would be perfect.

example that might even be willing to travel:
Andy Korn-akdrum.com

Good friend of mine. Tell him Brad Dollar sent you, if you do end up trying to get a hold of him.

Another guy [who is actually an LA dude] that I've worked with up here that might be down is Gary Novak. PM me if you'd like his contact info

One more guy could be Celso Alberti. He's from up here but maybe you can get him to travel:
Celso Alberti on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Good luck man. Hope this helps!
Old 30th June 2009
Led
Lives for gear

I just mixed something that I had no idea who played on. I loved the drumming so much I tracked it all down and turns out it was Brain Mcleod (sheryl Crow etc). Awesome feel and no editing reqired at all. His myspace is here :
MySpace.com - Brian MacLeod - 102 - Male - Los Angeles & the Cali Desert!, - www.myspace.com/brianmacleod

Cheers
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Daniel Glass, Josh Freese, Alex Acuña, Jim Keltner jump to mind, there are many others here in LA.
PM me & I'll give you names of some great studio singers too.
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Addict

- thanks for the recommendations guys ! yeah the Sheryl Crow dude is sick, great to hear he's still rocking wihtout tweaks...I'll make a list of names for different genres. I need that hard punching Kroq/98.7 shizz...a lof of that stuff sounds tweaked to me (30 sec to mars, paramore etc) and I'd love to do stuff like that but more "real" sounding...
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac
Send me a PM I'll hook you up with some great guys in LA who work all the time and wont kill you price wise. To me its about gettin the right guy for the style, some guys are great at one or two styles, but are lackluster at others.

Nother thing tht bothers me -I don't like using guys who just phone it in, I'd rather have someone a little less well known who's gonna dig a little deeper and give me something a little more creative. On the other hand, its even worse when the drummeris mediocre and thinks he just laid down the best drum take since When the Levee Breaks.
Old 30th June 2009
In the studios, that's where.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamesbomb View Post
-

I want two things out of this thread:

1. drummers, stop whining about getting tweaked and start practicing laying down the BEAT instead of focusing on your hair and nails and tatoos and whatever else. You're forcing us to make generic sounding records.

2. anyone in LA who can recommend awesome drummers with a pocket like some of the truly great studio drummers like Jeff Porcaro, Bernard Purdie but with the punch and agressive attitude of Dave Grohl ? I'd LOVE to hear UNTWEAKED examples - don't care for what it sounds like AFTER Beat Detective...don't care much for odd meters and fancy fill-ins either...if you can do it and keep time, cool - chances are your time is gonna be all over the place when u try to get too clever...
If you're in L.A. you have a plethora of great options. But you seem to be going into it with a chip on your shoulder, which won't serve you well in dealing with the top tier of musicians.

-R
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

pm me

I'm in. Be my pleasure. How many tunes?
I've been recording my own tunes for years, and engineering them as well.
My "punch in button" has got plenty of dust on it.

Steely

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search