The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Engineers and Producers
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Nut

Engineers and Producers

Hi, I've noticed the presence of many high end producers and engineers in this forum... Chris Dugan, Jeff Tomei, Butch Vig, just to name a few.

I was wondering if you guys could share with us how you managed to start working in the big leagues? When was this moment in your lives and how did you get to that point? Where was your first major gig and what artist was it? What was the first major studio that you worked in? All that stuff.

It would be really motivational for us newcomers to know this, thank you!
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Nut

Anyone?
Old 30th June 2009
A lot of this stuff is in the QandA section. You may have a chance to get a response from Butch Vig if you head over and ask now. I think he's only around these parts for another 2 days or so.
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Nut

I've tried to post a bunch of these questions on Butch's forum, but they just don't get posted! So i tried here and it worked, I think Jules has a finer filter in Butch's Q&A section, although I'm not sure what's wrong about asking for stories and experiences.

BTW if anyone else would like to share their personal experience please do!
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

People are too wrapped up with working with "big acts"..... Even the big guys work with people you've never heard of., ya know

"I've noticed the presence of many high end producers on this forum...." You wanna know their credits? Go to their website. As someone who has worked with a couple bigger acts (though not on the scale of Butch Vig by any means), it's kind of annoying having your whole career summed up by a couple projects you've done out of years of work. If you want to see celebrities, go over to the E! website.. Sorry if I'm being a *** but GS is being overrun with n00bs with questions about "making it big" and "how do you place your tambourine mics" directed at seasoned pros.

This site is about discussing projects and gear. We are lucky to have a few big name guys around but it is getting tedious having their opinions being taken as the gospel way to do things when in reality, there are a ton of pros here telling people the same info all day long and getting ignored. Every session requires different approaches. The big guys know this and have the experience to adapt. What possible use is a thread like this? You think Andy Wallace is going to come in here and say "To work on major acts, you need to call this phone number and say the word "swordfish"...? NO! The answer is hard work, keeping a good reputation and making good connections. These traits are true in any industry.

To work in the big leagues, you have to be competent, a cool guy to hang out with, and be able to handle any situation... to be able to do that, you have to work on lots of terrible projects, lots of unusual projects and put in extra hours perfecting your craft. If you haven't done that, you have no chance and if you even have to ask the question, the answer is moot. Of course there are exceptions but that just goes to prove there are no rules.

Maybe I misunderstood the question but if the question was more like "How can I break into the industry" you could have just done a search and found all this info...

How to start producing (get your FIRST gig) ?

How did you get your start?

Getting started in the biz. First Break.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-kev...our-start.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...-producer.html

Nashville Engineers - How did you get your start?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/searc...rchid=21110827

How did you get your start?
Old 30th June 2009
Actually, who cares? They ain't you. They ain't even each other. About the only thing that's important is that they all started at the bottom, worked hard, and didn't offend anybody much on the way up. Oh, and had pretty good luck, too!
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Actually, who cares? They ain't you. They ain't even each other. About the only thing that's important is that they all started at the bottom, worked hard, and didn't offend anybody much on the way up. Oh, and had pretty good luck, too!
My post well condensed into 4 sentences...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search