The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
why were layers more easily noticeable with my old powered mackie recordings?
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

why were layers more easily noticeable with my old powered mackie recordings?

A long time ago I used to use my mackie powered mixer into the line in of my computer to track everything. Now, I use my Trident 4T > Firepod (firewire) > computer. I have better mics now as well. I didn't know too much about mixing before and you can tell by the tracks, but it was still easier to hear the different instruments and layers (not overall quality of each track but the different layers of the mix) with my mackie than my newer mixes with my trident/firepod combo. Is there a reason for this? Any ideas?

Jeff
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

:-)
Old 29th June 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Maybe your tracks were simpler then? Sometimes knowledge can be a hinderance, you start to do things and add bits simply because you know how to, not because the song calls for it.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

well yeah, I've learned that awhile ago. I used to use a lot of verbs and that can really get rid of your layers pretty quickly and make a mess. Any other ideas? A technological one? Or maybe something else?
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Guru

Same room? Same monitors in the same position? Same converters? Same compositional style? What else has changed besides the Mackie?

If you still have the mackie, patch it back in and try a song out.

The red flag for me is that you have 'better mics' now. If your better mics have too much low mid and air and not enough crunchy midrange, you will have the problem you're having.

Clarity = 1k-5k.

Gregory Scot - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search