The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Sheryl Crow tune, or is it auto-tune?
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like the production is more on the modern country side than modern rock. IMO, autotune is simply a part of modern country production.

On a side note, you have to think also that the young fans who listen to modern country are used to the autotune. Perhaps those who sing along will even attempt to mimic the effect.

There was a great point made a while back. It may have been James Lugo, but I can't be sure. Whoever it was said that vocals now have frets.

This is exactly the case. How many guitar players could play a cello or violin with proper intonation? Is having frets on a guitar cheating? Is playing a piano cheating? The piano does all the work for you as far as intonation.

Modern technology has given the voice frets. It's part of the evolution of popular music. Autotune is here to stay (although I much prefer Melodyne).
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
neither Ms. Aguilera Simpson Spears and colleagues sung. the engineers made it happen. btw, they use also playback live. what's the difference?
Both Ms. Aguilera and Ms. Simpson (the elder) are excellent singers. I'm not saying they've never touched AT or have never used prerecorded support live - I have no idea; but, they are certainly among the best pop singers around today.

Sounds like you are making a big assumption about the talent based on the genre.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayphish View Post
I saw her live a number of years ago. All I can say is she's a horrible singer. You know the kind where there is a major lack of control and tone.

just my 2 cents. hehe
Wasn't Sheryl Crow at one point a backup singer for Michael Jackson? How do you get to be a backup singer for one of the best pop singers ever and be a bad singer?
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Autotuning is intrusive and wrecks the quality of the vocal, except Miley Cyrus ..it somehow works with her.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Hmm...... the record in question was produced by a guy who is a "Producer of the Year" and has sold over 50 million records. It features some of the worlds most talented musicians and songwriters and all people can hear is the auto tuning???

I've had the cd since it came out and have heard the cd and song in question at least 100 times and this thought has never occured to me. I guess I must be missing the true essence of what music these days is all about.

Who gives a **** if it's auto tuned or not. You either like it or you don't.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Autotuning is intrusive and wrecks the quality of the vocal, except Miley Cyrus ..it somehow works with her.
Well, I think autuning is intrusive and wrecks the quality of the voice when used intrusively and destructively. I tend to think there is a lot more autotune used well and unbeknownst to us than we like to think.

In lots of cases it can very convenient, fast, and be used discreetly.

The ethical consideration is another matter.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Listening to "Good Is Good" right now.

My assessment: I'm not hearing much Auto Tune on her lead vocal at all. Some certainly may have been used, but I think they did a good job of making it inconspicuous. To me, it just sounds like a well-executed lead vocal. However the point where the vocals start sounding a bit funny is when the background and harmony vocals come in, or the parts where her voice is double-tracked. Tracking harmony vocals can be tough and time consuming; one weak link can throw the whole thing off. It's often a matter of practicality. Even big name artists and producers don't have the same budgets to make records that they once did. Auto Tune often serves as a time and money saver. Although I agree, some engineers and producers do misuse it.

When I first started hearing it on a lot of records, it used to be a bit distracting. Now I've gotten used to it, to the point where it doesn't bother me too much. Although I do think that such prominent use of it will cause a lot of today's records to sound dated. Kind of like the reverb-y electronic drums and DX7 electric piano did in the '80s.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
So then who gives a **** about who gives a **** if it's autotuned?
touche' heh

I dunno. I took a listen with my auto tune ears and maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It certainly doesn't sound like a Cher record or something.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF View Post
Why is everyone so 'up in arms' about 'autotune'? Is it more of an effect and more destructive than say a compressor or an equaliser?

I get the feeling that it's cool to sneer at autotune, while at the same time we all 'accidentally' have it engaged..... let's face up to it, it can enhance a good performance if used carefully; and I defy anyone to spot it when used by a competent engineer (and he doesn't want it heard!)

As with all effects, it's simple to get it wrong (Aphex!) and not so easy to get the best out of it.... But as for Sinatra, his phrasing was immaculate, but some of his pitching was just a little suspect... so maybe even Walter (Sears) would have been happy to touch the voice with just a hint of autotune!
The first and most important question is: in tune with WHAT?

Do you believe that Moses brought 12-tone equal temperament down from Mt. Sinai, engraved on stone?

-Cameron Bobro
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Head

[quote=Eric Greedy;1696951
Also... I have NEVER had any A&R person ever insist anything of the sort ("make sure it's AT and BD)... but maybe i've just been lucky.[/quote]

Are you carrying a four leaf clover in your pocket?heh

Years ago, when A&R said "make it (the mix) louder" it's not like they were saying-- "slam the compression at x:1 so the mix will be louder on the radio and kids will think the song is better." People knew what it took to make it louder, compressed the mix, and today that's generally what's expected.

I get your point, but when someone says "that verse doesn't 'sound' right" you can tell it's a pitch issue. But then again, A&R want to move up the corporate ladder (generally), so you scratch their back-- they scratch yours, and the game continues.

Sheryl Crow is a solid singer, she sang backup for Michael Jackson during the 1987 "Bad" tour, right? She sang backup for a lot of cats. She has the pipes. AT is probably just a cool effect for her.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitecht View Post
Are you carrying a four leaf clover in your pocket?heh

Years ago, when A&R said "make it (the mix) louder" it's not like they were saying-- "slam the compression at x:1 so the mix will be louder on the radio and kids will think the song is better." People knew what it took to make it louder, compressed the mix, and today that's generally what's expected.

I get your point, but when someone says "that verse doesn't 'sound' right" you can tell it's a pitch issue. But then again, A&R want to move up the corporate ladder (generally), so you scratch their back-- they scratch yours, and the game continues.

Sheryl Crow is a solid singer, she sang backup for Michael Jackson during the 1987 "Bad" tour, right? She sang backup for a lot of cats. She has the pipes. AT is probably just a cool effect for her.
hmmm..

again. doesn't happen where i am. Traditional A&R are dead as a breed... now if your talking about Management (the new A&R) then I "hear" you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search