The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hey who has a "digital' radio yet?
Old 29th April 2003
Hey who has a "digital' radio yet?

Digital radio broadcasts have started here in the UK. You need a special radio to pick it up. Regular stations are ALSO brodcast on 'digital'.

So! Anyone got one yet?

I cant get the hip altero station XFM in my 'bunker' so I figured digital might work in there.... Anyone know about reception on those things??

Screw internet radio, I want an SPDIF out to my DAC -1 !!!!

Old 29th April 2003
Mindreader

There's one in the house here. Sounds great.

Not as good as my internet radio though which I have coming out of my 2408.
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

The only stuff I know about it is that it could be good for publishing returns. At the moment in the UK the only Radio station monitored full time are the BBC channels. Things like Kiss, heart go un-monitored.

The new system of putting codes into wav's before or after mastering means that once it all goes digital those who played get payed, hopefully.

The digital radio thing will be linked with 3G phones, wait two years and see what has happened. Scarey.

I was with a Hutchinson 3G developer the other day, we walked into a Starbucks and got on line for free, the staff we're unaware. (by the way the commercials had not been running at this stage).

Whats wrong with the air waves we've got, it's not like theres a radio station every step up. Ahhhhh, okay, just thinking!!! With digital you'll be able to pick up some **** station in Norway that you'd never listen to.

It's comin, it'll be trash, it'll try to increase advertising revenue.
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

To reply to the post before if it's a 96k or even a sub standard 44.1 (16) recording, isn't that worse then MP3 file sharing on the net. I could rip the best of a song.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Jules I got one for my Dad for his birthday. It's a tiny little thing...like an iPod maybe smaller. Its only headphones out but it sounds really good. I was impressed and immediately felt lust, but have managed to resist so far.

Jack
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Guru

I remember a couple of years ago hearing something about not being able to receive a signal in your car if you were going over 60 mph. Is that true?

If it is, that would certainly pose a strange problem- when a really good song came on you would have to slow down instead of speeding up.
Old 8th April 2008
I just picked up one of these..

Roberts Radio : MP23

Sheesh! Gooooooood sound, This box is a monster..

and of course reception isn't a problem..

Found about 4 or 5 cool rock stations (here in the UK)

Just rocking out to the Pretenders now..

Anyone else enjoying digital radio?

In the USA you get em in car stereos now right?

cool...
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

We just bought a new car and it came with XM satellite radio.
That is kinda' cool!
The punk rock channel or the bluegrass channel? I can't decide!

My thirteen year-old daughter told me I was weird because I old her we had to wait in the car at the store in order to hear the complete Black Flag song that was playing.
Where else are you gonna' hear "Loose Nut?"

XM is a good thing!
Old 8th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape View Post
...[snip]...
Whats wrong with the air waves we've got, it's not like theres a radio station every step up. Ahhhhh, okay, just thinking!!! With digital you'll be able to pick up some **** station in Norway that you'd never listen to.

...[snip]
There's nothing wrong with the air waves we've got -- and that is precisely why they want to take them away, stick us with super short waves that are highly directional, don't easily pass through structures, bounce off of things causing signal problems and are generally inferior.

After they take the long waves back from the public (who had some silly idea they owned the airwaves), then, in the US, at any rate, those valuable long waves will be auctioned off and the money put straight into the extraordinary wealth-destruction machine that is the US government under the current executive... where valuable public assets will disappear in a tsunami of debt and out of control spending.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search