The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your favorite EQ for adding high end to ribbon mics?
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Your favorite EQ for adding high end to ribbon mics?

Hello,

though I like sonic character of my ribbon mics (R84, R-122) very much I often miss a little "air" (e.g. on vocals, steelstring guitar, mandolin, violin)... What is your favorite EQ (preverably hardware) to add some "air" and clarity to your ribbon recordings?

I guess the "right" preamp is important here too? I am using Forsell SMP-2, BAE 1272, LMNOPRE and/or LA-610.

Oliver
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzjoe View Post
Hello,

though I like sonic character of my ribbon mics (R84, R-122) very much I often miss a little "air" (e.g. on vocals, steelstring guitar, mandolin, violin)... What is your favorite EQ (preverably hardware) to add some "air" and clarity to your ribbon recordings?

I guess the "right" preamp is important here too? I am using Forsell SMP-2, BAE 1272, LMNOPRE and/or LA-610.

Oliver

a different mic. heh unfortunately, I found that to be the Royer "sound"

very vanilla/bland.

Coles 4040s on the other hand.. pure bliss. in my opinion, anyway.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Oliver
Manley Massive Passive would be worth a listen. Pultecs aren't too bad either.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Nut

Use a totally different mic known for a good high end, and blend that in with a ribbon.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Pultec EQP1A's are great for adding subtle/natural top end
Old 27th June 2009
avalon 2055 has a nice top end.
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Hello,

Oliver
You can't EQ in what ain't there in the first place. You can, however, cut what there's too much of that you don't like. If you REALLY need more top, add a little bit of a good condenser mic to the mix.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello,

Oliver
At this moment I love Nightpro EQ3D ....... if I need some "AIR" I just turn the knob label "AIR" on that unit. Sweet
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

pultec
10 at 10 broad.
Old 28th June 2009

Summit dual program eq does that well.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Hammer here.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

angel tone (4 mastering but wateva )
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you very much for your comments!

Of course a ribbon will never sound like a condenser and vice verse. But it seems that ribbons take EQ quite well... So far I tried the Summit FEQ50 and ASC-T - both good EQs but I don't like boosting the high end on both more than a few db (more sounds unnatural to me). The best "air"- plugin I tried so far is Angeltone.

Actually I did some femal vocal redordings: Brauner Valvet X/Forsell SMP-2 vs. R84/LMNOPRE and prefered the R84 here (but with about 5 db high shelf from Angeltone). Even than the Brauner is still a little brighter but the R84 has much nicer and more natural mids...

So I think a nicer EQ could improve the "ribbon-chains" even more. A pultec would be shurely nice (but very expensive too). I have already put an eye on the Chandler Tone Control. Or maybe an Avedis E27? Which pultec (or non pultec) would you recommend here (prefereably new and under 2k)?

Oliver
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Vintage Lang. People in the know think it has a nicer top end than the Pultec....
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Maniac

The popular Empirical Labs - Lil FrEQ looks like it would be an excellent choice. Mercenary Audio have it for $1,500, here.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

I really liked the RED 2 that I used on a couple of projects.

Worked really nicely on 4038's on O/H and 121's.

It's not a full-on character piece but to be honest that's what I liked about it. Smooth sounding.

R.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Head

+1 Hammer
Old 28th June 2009
Jai guru deva om

Run straight for the AEA RPQ stereo preamp / ribbon EQ. It's a Fred Forsell design, and is fantastic.

War
Old 4th July 2009
500 series nutjob

depends but i would say the HAMMER, or the ELECTRODYNE 511.
for a more minimal color approach, the Speck, ASC-V or the ARSENAL AUDIO V-14.
Old 4th July 2009
Gear Addict

Hammer
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Since some recommended the "Hammer": I am sorry but I didn't like it that much and sent it back. Actually I like the FEQ50 or the Speck ASC more. To my ears the high end is kind of "sweet" but not clear and focused. I'd like to have more definition and clarity.

Maybe the AEA RPQ is the ticket for me? Sadly no dealer in Germany has the RPQ in stock yet (as far as I know)...
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Boosting the highs might work ok but if you start adding compression, or if you're working on analogue tape, or both, listen for hiss.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search