All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
radar and toft - first impressions
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

jhgkjhgkj

dfshdfghdfgh
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Congrats man! I'm thrilled for you. Nothing like being really proud of your work, and having the pieces that inspire you is what it's all about. I'd love to hear the before and after samples. My head startin spinning when I started using the pre's on my Ramsa for drums and bass, the sound was just there, I compressed on the way in. Very natural sounding, less silky and more meaty......energized.

I know the e.q on that Toft has to be killer.

Lets see a some pics pal!

Steely
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Oh yeah.... huge difference. Every project I can afford to... I plan on mixing almost completely "out of the box". Recall is just such a pain though...and today it makes is a real issue with the way everyone works....
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Black Dirt, what Radar system are you running? I'm looking to get into the Radar game as well.
Old 1st July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dirt View Post

holy crap
Just wait to say that until you start punching instruments and vocals on a dotted 128th note, using a perfectly set pre-roll after hitting the numerical button attached to a verse/chorus/bridge cue/marker. There is no quicker way to work. Congrats!
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Welcome to the cult
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Musical/mixing taste aside, I am shocked by how clear and present it is, particularly in the highs.

Those radar converters must really be something huh? Or is that the Toft EQ working its sweetening mojo?

Also, since your Toft has no fader automation, is there any function to perform that digitally via a Radar 'controller'?
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry, I don't mean to be so critical--but the dude is messing with one of my all time favorite Leon songs. What does he think he's going to do with this?

-R
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

I use PTHD3 with 3 192's > 24 outs returning into a console.Iv'e always been a secret admire'er of the radar since the Otari days.I have no problems with PTHD.I don't use too many plugs.I have a decent collection of outboard stuff.

Question/s.....

Would the Radar v nyquist have a dramatic or subtle difference over the 192's clocked with digi-sync i/o...or Apogee Big Ben?

.I'm also concerned about how loud the fan noise might be on the Radar.Is that an issue or is it quiet enough to sit in the control room rack without it's own A.C. ISO-BOX.

Thank you
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Congrats on the Radar either way.I think one might be able to mount it in a rack and put a lid on the front...??...or is that asking for trouble with heat due to a lack of air flow?I used to do this with a noisy g4 and a very noisy SCSI drive with a 001 PTLE rig..Worked ok FOR 10 years,My G5 PPC can heat up a room with everything else turned off.GO RADAR!!!
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Great looking studio man! Nice and clean, reminds me of mine(without all the killer harware...). I'll check out your track today after work. Maybe even post a pic of the studio, and hell, if you are sharing some music, maybe I'll post one as well. congrats.

Steely
Old 8th July 2009
Quote:
had my first tracking session with the new setup (pics below)

one man "band" (i played bass)

we tracked 2 songs over 4 days and recut some parts on older songs that were originally recorded in pro tools...

here's my first mix out of the box!

"words and music" by hans chew (with a deep nod to leon!)

lemme know what you guys think!

here are some pics of the new setup...
Great Work!!!! Its sounds awesomely huge and real, just like I am sitting in front of the band. All the effects are perfect, and really get the tracks to "pop". I hear some really cool sound's in this mix! Sounds like your making records to me. RADAR V is the dawgs danglers!!
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Ahh Radar, I can't wait...
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Just for a point of comparison, it only seems fair to hear from Leon himself.

YouTube - LEON RUSSELL AND THE SHELTER PEOPLE - OF THEE I SING

(I get that you're just having fun with this)

-R
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Nice set-up. How much was your Radar...? Im using a Toft ATB24 with Apogee AD/DA16x and a Roland VS2480 at my home setup. The 2480 is just used as a tape recorder nothing more...I bypass just about everything in it but the hard drive and the OS. I dont like PT's workflow..the Radar appeals.
Old 8th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be so critical--but the dude is messing with one of my all time favorite Leon songs. What does he think he's going to do with this?

-R
I must admit, even though you suggest otherwise, the purpose of your posts seems overly critical and vastly a skew from the reason Black Dirt posted in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I must admit, even though you suggest otherwise, the purpose of your posts seems overly critical and vastly a skew from the reason Black Dirt posted in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
I think RKrizman beats even Jim Williams in the 'unnecessary crankiness' department.

At least Jim posts awesome tech info many of us couldn't do without.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Jim and Adam are both doing business here. You know Adam sells both Toft and Radar.

I sincerely apologize for my sarcastic remark, and in fact will delete it. However, I think I still have a point in saying that this track could easily be made to sound just as good tracked to PT and mixed ITB. There's no special audio quality to it that requires a Toft/Radar to achieve. If someone comes on here to say that something is the dog's balls surely it's okay for someone else to offer a contrary opinion. Otherwise we're all just a bunch of mindless cheerleaders and gear pimps.

I expressed my further disagreement with Adam to him in a private email, and I'm happy to leave it there.

To the OP I say I think it's cool that someone digs Leon Russell so much that he created this piece. And good luck with the new rig.

-R
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Well said. As someone who sat down and learned "of Thee I Sing" by ear off the record I can sure appreciate someone else who was so into the stye that he dived in and pulled out some of its essence.

-R
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

keep doing your thing. i can appreciate what you are doing.

i had a discussion with a fellow producer last night about why i would want to get away from recording into a computer and limit myself with something like a radar. to him, having the choice between a million takes and what not was the obviously better route to take. its not the easiest thing to try and convince someone otherwise when what i believe in is getting a take right the first time and actually committing to something.
so when i hear that someone gets away from a daw, like in this case, and can do still do some pretty cool ****, i gotta admire that.

i told my boy last night that the tool we have between our two ears can work through any limitation if we would just have the patience and determination to see it through instead of going to the "newest and greatest" plugin out.
Old 9th July 2009
Here for the gear

Nice Job Blackdirt w/new gear!

Tracks sound nice, way to go Jason.

Quote:
had my first tracking session with the new setup (pics below)

one man "band" (i played bass)

we tracked 2 songs over 4 days and recut some parts on older songs that were originally recorded in pro tools...

here's my first mix out of the box!

"words and music" by hans chew (with a deep nod to leon!)

lemme know what you guys think!

here are some pics of the new setup...
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Black Dirt, that song sounds good for a first time mix with new gear man.
You're going to be killing it soon! Must be cool to throw up a mix and start fresh everytime, like.. "Damn, it's just slamming tonight, this mix is there....... better commit to tape!.......it's finished." woo hooo! I like the spontaneity that comes with your new setup. I want to hear that mix you posted run through more gear , run it through that "Jethro Tull" magic box......whatever that might be . lol! It needs some fairy dust, or just dust. lol!

One thing that puzzles me though, after looking at all that outboard and hardware gear in your studio, I can't believe you've been working with a computer for so long. Most guys use computers to get the sound of all that stuff, and you have it........and a computer? Your victory is long overdue friend. keep'em coming.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

So just so I get this right, you didn't want to use PT HD because it had the possibility of giving you more options, that maybe you might or not might use (or overuse) one day?
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
So just so I get this right, you didn't want to use PT HD because it had the possibility of giving you more options, that maybe you might or not might use (or overuse) one day?
I didn't get that at all. Just wanted a way to work that suits the way he wants to work.
He has also said a couple of times that this isn't about Radar V PT.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Why is the RADAR so expensive?
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Is there some secret Digi signal that shines towards PT power users when ever there is a thread on GS about RADAR V?
In all fairness, the first sentence of the first post was...

"recovering pro tools hd user"

He later goes on to say.......

"pro tools (as it has been discussed a million times) lends itself to a "fix it later" mentality - it takes a ton of conviction and steadfastness to not fall into that trap... i wanted to spend some more time working on getting the right sounds going in - going way back to my mentality the first time i ever used a portastudio - there was no thought of fixing something later - it was all about recording the sounds the way you wanted it to sound...

i didn't know how i would react to the radar / toft combo... would it feel too much like pro tools? would there be no sonic benefit?"

This is very much a PT versus Radar/Toft thread.

And what is it about whenever Radar is mentioned a giant R is shined in the sky and gear pimps magically appear and start blowing smoke everywhere?

-R
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Why is the RADAR so expensive?

Worth every penny. You'll never need any other converters or any other clock. Please, anyone with a Radar - use it's clock as master. by the way, I don't sell Radar, but I still think it's the "dog's danglers"
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
pro tools (as it has been discussed a million times) lends itself to a "fix it later" mentality - it takes a ton of conviction and steadfastness to not fall into that trap... i wanted to spend some more time working on getting the right sounds going in - going way back to my mentality the first time i ever used a portastudio - there was no thought of fixing something later - it was all about recording the sounds the way you wanted it to sound...

I have nothing against RADAR. IMO, it's a sonically outstanding system. Probably the best digital A-D, D-A's out there.
And long before most of you had heard the word RADAR, I was beta testing 2.0 software for the system.
I just think if you have a fix it later mentality, changing hardware won't change that.
When you owned the Pro Tools system did you not want to get the sound right going in?
And when you bought the RADAR you did?

My point is Pro Tools ends up being the boogeyman for to many situations.
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm actually sorry i brought it up...

can we just kill this thread?

Think yourself lucky the Toft didnt get discussed!
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

When did asking you a question about your preferences (of one recording medium over another) become a beat down?

I've already stated that I like RADAR's and they have amazing A to D's.
I was just asking for clarification on your post. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search