The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which side of your AT3035 do you use?
Old 26th June 2009
Which side of your AT3035 do you use?

I recently snagged an AT3035 because it's one of those mics that I've heard such conflicting reports on. Some folks seem to think it's a gem, while others find it unusable.

When set mine up in an array for a comparison test with the pad and rolloff switches facing the source I heard a thin, roomy sound that made me think the mic was broken - it sounded like a lame omni rather than a decent cardioid.

I had to study the spec sheet and AT web site several times to determine that I had the null side pointed and the source!! OK, so I'm slow, and should have turned it around just to try it. But once it was pointing in the right direction it sounds pretty darned good <grin>.

So those of you who find the AT3035 thin and bright and hard to place, which side are you pointing at the source?

Here's the post on the mic comparison, by the way, with clips of the AT3035, a CAD M179, and a Rode NT2a, all of the same performance, with some pretty careful level matching.

3 Lower priced LDs

Fran

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search