The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If you could record any band, who would it be?
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Head

Black Flag. Specifically, the sessions for DAMAGED. What songs and performances... In some ways the bad mix actually adds to the record's feel it pretty much, but also detracts from its power. Sounds like a few close drum mics, vocals, and a really loud guitar panned near the center, with occasional bass guitar. It's hard to tell there's a second guitar for 95% of it.

Could be more the mix, but -- tracked correctly -- a straightforward, performance-oriented band like that seems like it should mostly be moving faders, maybe some further EQ and compression/limiting, and that's about it.

Would've been cool to track them at any juncture. MY WAR needed some help sonically; it could've felt heavier, more punch. And the last two albums were among their most balanced post-DAMAGED but were smothered in bad reverb.

No need to produce; just track and mix.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

MUSE... absolutely... i'd love to get creative with them
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

I wish I could go back in time to 1977 through 1981 and record my old band "Brother's Keeper". If we'd only had this technology back then, our band would be bigger than Phish or Widespread Panic or any of these latter-day jam-bands.

We were weaned on the Dead and the Allman Brothers, but we were nowhere near NYC, LA, or Nashville and we never had the opportunity to make any recordings.

Now that I can make wonderful recordings, my great bands of yesteryear are only dusty memories. I choose not to be bitter about it.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by personpitch View Post
Oh and the beach boys. I have a copy of Pet Sounds that is ONLY the vocal tracks, and its stunning.
a buddy of mine has that--it's pretty awesome!
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by will84 View Post
Black Flag. Specifically, the sessions for DAMAGED. What songs and performances... In some ways the bad mix actually adds to the record's feel it pretty much sounds like a few close drum mics, vocals, and a really loud guitar panned near the center, with occasional bass guitar. It's hard to tell there's a second guitar for 95% of it.

Could be more the mix, but -- tracked correctly -- a straightforward, performance-oriented band like that seems like it should mostly be moving faders, maybe some further EQ and compression/limiting, and that's about it.

Would've been cool to track them at any juncture. MY WAR needed some help sonically; it could've felt heavier, more punch. And the last two albums were among their most balanced post-DAMAGED but were smothered in bad reverb.

No need to produce; just track and mix.
Gee - I used to mix them live too - several times.......
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

I would like to co produce and write a DVD video with the original Butthole surfers line up. Would be my dream come true. Hell Ill even finance it and then the Movie and call it "Butthole" .
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

wow

jeez there are some really good ones on here, you guys have already taken some of my picks! but...

Sigur Ros
Bjork
Radiohead
Nirvana
Tool
Dredg
Pete Yorn

those are just off the top of my head. but i could spend all day making myself drool like this...
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Pink Floyd if I had only one act.

But to be frank, I'd give anything to mix someone with pipes like Mariah Carey, Christina Aquilera or Jennifer Nettles just one time. I've never had the chance to mix a truly stellar female vocalist.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Addict

Pantera (with Dimebag of course)
Quicksand
Soundgarden
Helmet

and Elton John (with a band )
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Lauryn Hill
Jack Johnson
Earth Wind and Fire
Sun Ra and his Arkestra
Styx
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
I would like to co produce and write a DVD video with the original Butthole surfers line up. Would be my dream come true. Hell Ill even finance it and then the Movie and call it "Butthole" .
I remember mixing them in the old days at The Mabuhay Gardens. Man the first time they pulled out that bullhorn without warning me - the PA had no compressors or limiters!

I saw their show last New Year's at The Fillmore - great show. The band hasn't changed much musically, but the video show has got a lot better.......
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
Lauryn Hill
Jack Johnson
Earth Wind and Fire
Sun Ra and his Arkestra
Styx
Did Sun Ra once as well...... Man, what a show!
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Of bands that are actually still around: The Tragically Hip.

I am actually a little obsessed about the idea and trying to figure out a way to actually make it happen.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Did Sun Ra once as well...... Man, what a show!
Sun RA= WOW JOHN !!!
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

I would love to record Dave Matthews Band and Nickel Creek at Blackbird with Vance Powell.

My other dream is to get Scott Stapp and Chris Cornell together to do a christmas album.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Nut

spitfire

the chariot
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

The Ramones, Motorhead, or AC/DC.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by will84 View Post
MY WAR needed some help sonically; it could've felt heavier, more punch. .
Every time I listen to that album I dream about remixing it. I saw them on that tour once or twice. It was one of the heaviest scariest shows I had ever seen.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Of bands that are actually still around: The Tragically Hip.

I am actually a little obsessed about the idea and trying to figure out a way to actually make it happen.
Good pick. Uber talented and the only band I ever saw that got a 10 minute standing ovation before they played a note. The crowd was so loud that they could of played and you would never of heard them.

Sad they have never broken huge in the US but I guess seeing them in smaller clubs is kind of cool.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Every time I listen to that album I dream about remixing it.
To me, it doesn't sound like it was recorded badly even, just mixed weird. Everything's in a different space... vocals are over-ambient, drums are off in another room somewhere, and bass and guitar are in a vacuum. I love the material though, especially the title track and the three sludge-fests on side two.

Quote:
I saw them on that tour once or twice. It was one of the heaviest scariest shows I had ever seen.
Lucky guy! I have the LIVE '84 DVD somewhere with the SLIP IT IN line-up and, to say nothing of the intensity and band/audience tension, everyone plays their asses off.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Tie...

totally silly thread that should be in all about the music, and only be current artists, c'mon, of course I'd eff'n record pink floyd.... for known bands...

i'd love to record,
PJ Harvey
Aimee Mann

or for bands,
YYY
GodspeedYou BlackEmperor
BlondeRedhead
Metric
and of course NIN, not just to see alan moulder work

and anyone else who has songs.
Old 28th June 2009

wing!...i'd KILL to record her at my place!

http://www.wingmusic.co.nz/player/cd16.html

Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Led Zeppelin... mainly so I could watch Bonham play the drums!!
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Head

Currently I'd say Porcupine Tree, Peter Gabriel, Rufus Wainwright, Lamb, Jeff Buckley, A Perfect Circle/Tool, Dead Can Dance, Radiohead, Norah Jones, KT Tunstall, Miles Davis, and Sarah Blacker (lovely Boston area gal).

There are so many more I'd just love to record, these ones just came first into my head since I've pretty much been listening to music all day long.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

The Incredible Edibles

Best band eva
Old 28th June 2009
In Order:

1. Nirvana
2. Joy Division
3. Nine Inch Nails
4. A Perfect Circle
5. Ladytron
6. Maroon 5
7. Finger Eleven
8. Garbage
9. Three Days Grace
10.Millionaires
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
Tom Waits
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
Tom Waits and his "band"
Tom Waits!!! Those sessions must be magical!
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
The Ramones, Motorhead, or AC/DC.
I recorded Motorhead once - live broadcast for KALX radio in Berkeley...... never got to hear my mix and have no idea where the tapes are.....
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Rush
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Alison Krauss
Slipknot
Miley Cyrus
Insane Clown Posse

Odd huh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search