The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hosa Products Are Horrible
Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
They break, they sound awful. Real junk!!
DaveT
They SOUND AWFUL? Cables don't have a sound..... Yeah, I know, a lot of people will argue that - mostly people who sell expensive, overpriced cables.

Mic cables are a little different matter (star quad, etc) as are long mic snakes (50 foot and over), but short interconnects like HOSA sells? I challenge you to hear a significant difference in a 3 to 6 foot patch cable - or even a 20x8 interconnect snake...... and I can get around 6 to 8 HOSA tt cables for the cost of 2 Mogamis. Given that my console requires a minimum of 64 tt patchcords to operate that's a significant amount of money.
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by electraplay View Post
I've had more issues with Monster cables failing than any Hosa cable i own.
Yeah - I've had fractured connectors on several Monster cables..... guitar cords, mostly. HOSA doesn't really sell guitar cords, far as I know......
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Personally, I have had terrible luck with them. I have a big pile of dead Hosa cables that I save for parts when I need to rig up something quick. Most of those cables failed after very little use.
Regarding sound, I do notice a bit of high-frequency loss in comparison with the cables I usually use. However, the price of the Hosa is so good that it's hardly a fair comparison.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
The only cables I trust are the ones I make myself.
But really, I don't like to quote myself but if you really don't like Hosa then just do it yo self. ****, who the **** cares anyway?

Peace to you!
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepforwheat View Post
How many Hosa products have you purchased have broken very quickly or not worked?

3 for Me.

Looks like you been hosed...
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Personally, I have had terrible luck with them. I have a big pile of dead Hosa cables that I save for parts when I need to rig up something quick. Most of those cables failed after very little use.
Regarding sound, I do notice a bit of high-frequency loss in comparison with the cables I usually use. However, the price of the Hosa is so good that it's hardly a fair comparison.
You must not take very good care of your cables..... Do you wind them around your arm?
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Head

Not in this house

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
They SOUND AWFUL? Cables don't have a sound..... Yeah, I know, a lot of people will argue that - mostly people who sell expensive, overpriced cables.

Mic cables are a little different matter (star quad, etc) as are long mic snakes (50 foot and over), but short interconnects like HOSA sells? I challenge you to hear a significant difference in a 3 to 6 foot patch cable - or even a 20x8 interconnect snake...... and I can get around 6 to 8 HOSA tt cables for the cost of 2 Mogamis. Given that my console requires a minimum of 64 tt patchcords to operate that's a significant amount of money.
When purchasing 24 channels of cables between my new hard disk recorder and console I had a serious budget decision to make. I opted for Hosa to save a lot of dough. When I hooked up the recorder for the first time and recorded some drums, the play back was awful. I spoke with a rep where I purchased both the recorder and the cables. Instead of sending the recorder back, I choose a different brand of cable first. It was expensive. I dropped a wad. When I hooked up the new cables it was night and day better. Not even close. By a steroid shooting Sammy Sosa f**kin mile.

I had a bunch of other Hosa cables throughout the system. Inserts, connectors, mic cables, etc. I started to have trouble with channels dropping out in the middle of sessions. Sometimes they would be really intermittent. I would troubleshoot and moving cables would make them work again. After ruining a couple of completed mixes I vowed to start replacing all the Hosas. Time after time, the dropouts would disappear and usually the sound quality improved.

I learned you don't have to pay retail prices to get good cables. I buy 'em new on Ebay from a couple of reputable sellers that make their own. They are still relatively pricey, but in my experience it has been worth it.

N. Michael
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
None - and I have fair number, especially tt patchcables and mini snakes.

You have to know how to take care of your cables.

HOSA is also one of two mass market distributors of Caig Laboratories' DEOXIT, the best contact cleaner available. (the other is Radio Shack)
Dude, not trying to bash you twice in one post, but...

What does Hosa distributing DeOxit have to do with anything regarding Hosa cable quality?!? If McDonald's sold you a sh*t sandwich on rye made by Uncle Fester, would you say it must be good just because they also sell a Big Mac?

Also, Radio Shaq is not much for helping your point either IMO.

N. Michael
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Michael View Post
Dude, not trying to bash you twice in one post, but...

What does Hosa distributing DeOxit have to do with anything regarding Hosa cable quality?!? If McDonald's sold you a sh*t sandwich on rye made by Uncle Fester, would you say it must be good just because they also sell a Big Mac?

Also, Radio Shaq is not much for helping your point either IMO.

N. Michael
Well, the thread was basically "HOSA sucks" and I was pointing out that they do distribute some high quality products.... and that even RS does too, as craptoliscous (yeah, I know it's not a word) as RS has become in recent years.....
Old 27th June 2009
Quote:
When purchasing 24 channels of cables between my new hard disk recorder and console I had a serious budget decision to make. I opted for Hosa to save a lot of dough. When I hooked up the recorder for the first time and recorded some drums, the play back was awful. I spoke with a rep where I purchased both the recorder and the cables. Instead of sending the recorder back, I choose a different brand of cable first. It was expensive. I dropped a wad. When I hooked up the new cables it was night and day better. Not even close. By a steroid shooting Sammy Sosa f**kin mile.

I had a bunch of other Hosa cables throughout the system. Inserts, connectors, mic cables, etc. I started to have trouble with channels dropping out in the middle of sessions. Sometimes they would be really intermittent. I would troubleshoot and moving cables would make them work again. After ruining a couple of completed mixes I vowed to start replacing all the Hosas. Time after time, the dropouts would disappear and usually the sound quality improved.

I learned you don't have to pay retail prices to get good cables. I buy 'em new on Ebay from a couple of reputable sellers that make their own. They are still relatively pricey, but in my experience it has been worth it.

N. Michael
Well, obviously your experience is different, but I've found that if treated with care, HOSA cables generally work fine. As they are molded connector cables obviously they're not going to be as rugged as more expensive cables, and I'm sure the conductors are not a robust as premium cable, but so far I think I've had one bad HOSA cable out of a huge number, which isn't bad. When I can afford it I'll probably replace them with cables I build myself, but I can't even buy the tt connectors for what I pay for the entire HOSA cable. Given that I need 64 cables just to connect my tie lines to get signal to and from the recorder, plus additional cables for the outboard you can appreciate the problem and right now I have to put all my cash into overhauling the 24 track and buying some tape. It should be noted that I don't abuse my cables and don't allow others to, either, which is very important when dealing with a budget cable. However I've had a lot more problems with other brands of budget cables that I hav4e with HOSA. A LOT more problems...... As far as bad sound, well, if you treat a cable badly and it starts to degrade, yes, it could sound bad. If you take care of it it shouldn't.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Nut

I look at cables the way I look at guitar strings; I'm gonna go through 'em. While I have mic cables older than some of you that function better than parts of me, (apparently, I took better care of them) I have never noticed any particular problems with Hosa products. (I don't use 'em in critical applications, though, cuz there's no quick way to fix a molded plug in an emergency) I'd have to say that in my experience, they've been maybe a little less robust than some more expensive products but often a little more durable than some less expensive options. In other words, their stuff is worth the asking price cuz you pretty much get what you pay for.

Last edited by Mojo; 27th June 2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
right now I have to put all my cash into overhauling the 24 track and buying some tape.
Well...at least we have this in common. My tape machine needs some maintenance too.

I have taken very good care of all my cables, including the Hosa's. I guess YMMV shows up here pretty often for a reason. The big decider for me is that I have probably spent hundreds of dollars on Hosa cables and then spent tens of hundreds on top of that to replace them. I have finally learned (usually) to buy the best the first time.

Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You must not take very good care of your cables..... Do you wind them around your arm?
That's not an issue and you don't need to be rude. I'm meticulous when it comes to taking care of my equipment. Yes, I know how to wrap a cable so that it coils naturally without causing tension on copper strands. In fact, I make most of my own cables and have even gone to the extent of experimenting with various copper braids, cores, shields, and insulation.
In my experience, the Hosas usually fail due to poor flex life and too much tension near the connector. I understand you wanting to defend a product that you use but I'm just being completely honest and sharing my experience.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

On a side note, I've had pretty good luck w/hosa midi cables.
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

I think folks are running out of topics to post.

Hosa cables? 3 pages of posts? PuhLease!!!

They stink.
Old 27th June 2009
Motown legend

At least Radio Shack's molded cables are lots better made than the Hosas I took apart to fix. I was utterly shocked.

I've seen cold solder joints in Monster too so I'm not advocating exotic wiring, only the basic DIY quality you'd get from buying the parts at Radio Shack. I highly recommend Markertek.

Markertek - Audio and Video Equipment - Professional Broadcast Studio Equipment
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just remember, this has nothing to do with the "sound" of cables. You can have random intermittent connections, partial grounds, etc.

Good cable with good connectors properly attached are key.
Old 27th June 2009
BVB
Gear Maniac

Then these must be crap too ?...

Zaolla Silverline

Look at the bottom of the page (on the right)

Greets
Paul
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVB View Post

Zaolla Silverline

Greets
Paul
Well, sounds about right. I tried to open the link to the catalog and it jammed my browser.
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I look at cables the way I look at guitar strings; I'm gonna go through 'em. While I have mic cables older than some of you that function better than parts of me, (apparently, I took better care of them) I have never noticed any particular problems with Hosa products. (I don't use 'em in critical applications, though, cuz there's no quick way to fix a molded plug in an emergency) I'd have to say that in my experience, they've been maybe a little less robust than some more expensive products but often a little more durable than some less expensive options. In other words, their stuff is worth the asking price cuz you pretty much get what you pay for.
Excellently stated. (and I like that bit about "apparently I took better care of them") LOL......
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
That's not an issue and you don't need to be rude. I'm meticulous when it comes to taking care of my equipment. Yes, I know how to wrap a cable so that it coils naturally without causing tension on copper strands. In fact, I make most of my own cables and have even gone to the extent of experimenting with various copper braids, cores, shields, and insulation.
In my experience, the Hosas usually fail due to poor flex life and too much tension near the connector. I understand you wanting to defend a product that you use but I'm just being completely honest and sharing my experience.
Apologies for perceived rudeness.

Don't generally use my HOSAs where they're going to get flexed a lot they are, after all, molded connector cables and all molded connectors have the common problem of no strain relief. Due to the configuration of my system I have 64 tt patch cables that sit in my patch bay and almost never move unless I'm switching recorders. I've also used their small snakes quite a bit in the back of racks where the don't get messed with much. I probably would want something more robust for that application in a portable system.

In my experience if it sits where it is and doesn't get messed with, HOSA cables do OK. For other applications, well, that's why they make better cables. Use the device for the application to which it is suited, and understand what those applications are. And don't let bozos pull your molded cables out by the cord - that's certain death......
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Well, sounds about right. I tried to open the link to the catalog and it jammed my browser.
What browser do you use and what PDF reader? I've sometimes encountered problems with Firefox and 3rd party PDF readers - and even using Acrobat reading -pdfs online can be slow as molasses - which is why I always download to my desktop before opening.
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVB View Post

Zaolla Silverline

Greets
Paul
Downloaded the catalog - haven't looked at it yet. There is a dirty little secret about solid silver cables that people often overlook - while silver in its pure form is a superior conductor of electricity, it oxidizes extremely rapidly and silver oxide does not conduct well at all. That means that if oxygen has a chance to get into the cable terminations you can end up with weird resistance related problems down the road that significantly degrade performance. Also, silver is extremely expensive.
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
At least Radio Shack's molded cables are lots better made than the Hosas I took apart to fix. I was utterly shocked.

I've seen cold solder joints in Monster too so I'm not advocating exotic wiring, only the basic DIY quality you'd get from buying the parts at Radio Shack. I highly recommend Markertek.

Markertek - Audio and Video Equipment - Professional Broadcast Studio Equipment
PS's connectors are ****e. Switchcraft forever!
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
I think folks are running out of topics to post.

Hosa cables? 3 pages of posts? PuhLease!!!
I have the swine flu this week, I'm out of reading material, and the TV's on the fritz......
Old 28th June 2009
I've had good luck with them.

They're cheap and I didn't expect much. Usually purchased in a pinch when I'm low on cash or they are all that was available (like a radio shack run in the middle of session on a sunday afternoon).

I have 10yr old 6ft TS and TRS hosa snakes that are still working without issue - that I did not expect!

patchbays that we're in mothballs for half a decade we're taken out, and wired without issue.

I think they get a bad rap.

Maybe check the low-end theory forum where people have less snobbery and you may get more accurate feedback.
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post

Maybe check the low-end theory forum where people have less snobbery and you may get more accurate feedback.

Thanks for the cheap shot.

And you think you will get more accurate feedback from people that are more likely to have less experience? Hmmm.
Old 28th June 2009
ok, fair enough - but you have to admit a certain amount of snobbery here, versus there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Thanks for the cheap shot.
And you think you will get more accurate feedback from people that are more likely to have less experience? Hmmm.
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Nut

from the OP

My main beef seems to be with their TRS female connections. It seems as if the jack is not a standard size to accept other TRS males.

The connection gets shorted out when jiggled.

I have gone through 2 headphone extensions and just recently bought a female trs to male xlr. All 3 have the same issue.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Haven't had one fail, but I've had great luck with other brands of TT patchcords, too. The feel and finish seem much better on others, and to me that's important. So I don't buy Hosa TT's not because they've failed on me but because the others just feel better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search