The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spikes or soft feets under your speakers?
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Spikes or soft feets under your speakers?

Please tell me, do you use spikes or cones (or any other type of hard feets) between your speakers and stands/floor or do you use some kind of soft feets?

/Peter
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Gaff tape wrapped marbles. but only til I get them soffit-mounted.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

So the rest of you place the speakers directly at the stand/console/floor? ;-)

/Peter
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Please tell me, do you use spikes or cones (or any other type of hard feets) between your speakers and stands/floor or do you use some kind of soft feets?

/Peter
I use Spikes coupled with the metal discs with the "divot" in them.. the difference the decoupling makes to the sound is incredible..

Speaker Feet
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

There's a bunch of phone books piled up outside our block of flats. Works for me.
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hard feets/cones/spikes do not decouple the speaker from the stand or floor but actually couples the speaker to the surface below it. This means vibrational forces will set the floor or whatever the speaker is mounted on in motion which acts like an extra sound source of which there is no control from the manufacturer or user.

Soft feets can decouple the speaker from the floor hence avoiding/reducing disturbing resonances from the mechanical vibrations of the speakers.

Hard feets also results in resonance in the speaker itself which lead to distortion in both time (impulse response is worsened) and frequency domain (distortion as in new spectral components added).

It would be interesting with more input to get a better idea of the choices people make.

Keep it coming!

/Peter
Old 1st July 2009
I've got each of mine sat ontop of four small rings of insulatory foam usually used to wrap hot water pipes, that shiny silver stuff. They're sat on a book (to get the speakers at the right height... bit of a bodge) on a desk. Cheap but effective I've found, atleast for my means. A mate put me onto this, he uses the massive amount of foam that came with logic 8 under his!
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Rockwool

I used slabs of rockwool under my speakers to decouple them from my stands. It works well. If I place my hand on the speaker and the other on the stand you can feel the effect of the rockwool.

Now the problem with having your speakers floating on a resiliant surface is that at high bass levels is can set the speaker in motion. This is bad!

Not that the speaker is visually rocking back and forth, but you do feel the blurring of the highs when cranked. Fortunately I don't listen at those levels often.

hope this helps
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

I have spikes under my monitors...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search