The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Having "The Talk" with inexperienced musicians
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
I'm a little confused by the question - seriously (not trying to be a dick). If they are paying you by the hour, why do you care if someone can't sing or play their part?

When I go into the studio to record, I am paying the engineer for his skills and advice, but it's MY MONEY and MY TIME, not his or hers. Within my time that I'm paying for I can do (musically) whatever I want, which includes recording ****.

Seriously, why do you care?
That's a good question, but I have to care about what's happening if I'm going to produce good results. I'm not in a position to choose my own clients, so I need to be able to participate with enthusiasm and act objectively with everyone that hires me. It pays off in the long run - I have a good amount of repeat business, and repeat business is a GREAT feeling to me.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
I have a handout that I give to inexperienced musicians before they come in to record. As far as the having trouble getting their work done, it depends if they are MY client, or a hired/borrowed musician that MY client has brought in. I am currently working with a singer that can't sing. He is paying me and I have made him aware that him taking 5 hours to get 200 takes of one song is expensive. He is aware of the situation, and he wants to proceed. I autotune, time-shift and comp his takes and I can make him sound like a singer and he is happy. If my clients are happy, I am happy. He is a nice guy so it's all painless to me. If someone he has hired isn't getting it done, I let him know and it's up to him to deal with it.

Here is a copy of my handout (If anybody has any suggestions I can add to this feel free):

Pre-recording Preparation

- Have your songs arranged and with an idea of tempo that feels comfortable. If the music has lyrics, make sure the tempo works with them, as well as the background music. If applicable to your style of music, have the BPM (beats per minute) of the songs established. Once instruments are recorded it is very difficult, time consuming, and costly to go back and start again because a song is too slow or too fast.

- Rehearse your songs often before your session. This is a good opportunity to fine tune your arrangements.

- We will discuss the best approach for your project so the studio can be prepared before the sessions before each day’s work. Decide how you want to approach the session if many instruments are involved. For example, weather everyone will play at once, or individually, or in small groups (drums and bass).

- Be prepared for the time taken (before we record) to ensure the sounds are correct. Often, it is necessary to adjust microphones, baffling, and record levels before we press “record”. Drums take considerable more time as they often need tuning and the use of many microphones. Even with fewer microphones, the placement of them is more critical because the sounds source(s) are more spread out.

- Have your instruments in good shape to record them. There is no magic software to make out of tune, or poorly intonated instruments sound better. With prior notice, I can often provide instruments of good quality if they are not available to you.

- It is beneficial for the artist to be involved in the editing, mixing, and mastering stages of the recordings. Many critical decisions are made during these processes and it can avoid the cost of remixes and revisions.

- Consider the overall sound you are expecting and provide references to other music (in terms of production) if possible. This will help decide what type of sounds to achieve while tracking.

- In order to preserve your work it is recommended to purchase a media storage system (hard drive or DVDs) to store your work after completion. Projects will be deleted after a period of time after they are finished. I do perform back-ups during the sessions, but as many of us have learned the hard way: drives DO crash.

Thanks for this. I would like to let you know that in the 4th bulletin you spelled "whether" as "weather"

thanks again
Lee
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimona View Post
Thanks for this. I would like to let you know that in the 4th bulletin you spelled "whether" as "weather"

thanks again
Lee
One could effectively argue the text in question was actually a "bulleted list" vice a "bulletin". Additionally, the error referenced was located in the 3rd "bullet" and not the 4th.

No offense......I'm being a smartass of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search