The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BLA advertised Digi003R mods vs. "orally-available" mods for Digi003R+Factory
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

BLA advertised Digi003R mods vs. "orally-available" mods for Digi003R+Factory

Based upon the recommendation of the manager of my local music store who did the BLA mod on his Digi002R and who also auditioned a before/after sample,

I signed up for a signature mod for my Digi003R+Factory (8 channels of mic pres). The BLA website ONLY lists Digi003R+ at $1250/mod. I had informed BLA via email BEFORE making my appointment that I had a Digi003R+Factory and they told me that it costs $1250.

However, when I told the local music store manager that I was doing the mod, he and another customer who coincidentally was there having done the mod told me that the Digi003R+Factory mod costs more than than the standard Digi003R mod because of 4 more channels of pres and the less space inside the unit, and I better check with BLA.

BLA responded that the Digi003R+Factory costs $500 more than the Digi003R sig mod even though it isn't advertised on their website.

What are forum members opinion about:
a) honoring the $1250 ADVERTISTED PRICE from their website
b) paying the extra $500 for the cost of the extra components and work needed
c) paying the extra $500 but getting "expedited service" because of BLA's error which BLA normally charges an additional $400.

BLA did move up my appointment from August 17th to July 23rd for the "misunderstanding." However, they denied me an appointment at the beginning of July after I explained that I have a gig on August 2nd and the unit won't be back in time.

Is BLA being fair or simply lacking truth in advertising?

Thank you.

----- Here is the response from BLA to me via email:

Thanks for your concern regarding the lack of information on the 003r + Signature modification on our website. To clarify, the link ends in "modifications/digi+003r" to indicate the pricing for the 003r modifications. If you go to the same link ending in "modifications/digi+002r," it will take you to the same page. The "+" does not have anything to do with the 003r +, but is simply a way for our web designer to organize the website. The "+" should therefore be read/understood as an "and" rather than a "plus." We unfortunately were not able to choose our own URL's in the process of designing the new site.

To elaborate a little further, we do not list the 003r + Signature modification on our website due to our desire to keep demand for the modification low. It is an extremely labor intensive and difficult modification to perform. At the same time, we want to be able to accommodate customers who have purchased an 003r +, and thereby continue to offer the modification, albeit completely by "word of mouth."

I apologize that the price difference was not explained to you either by email or phone. Again, the reason for the price increase is due to how labor intensive the 003r + is to modify. Digidesign changed the layout and board designs to accommodate the extra 4 mic pre's (including a different power supply than is used in the regular 003r), and in the process left little room inside the chassis for additions.

We unfortunately have no spots available earlier than the July 23rd date that Brad quoted you. Thank you for being understanding of the way our scheduling works.

In case you haven't received this information already, here are the details on the 003r + modification:

The 003r + modification is a Signature series modification for $1750 and includes the following:

Analog stage op-amp upgrade on A/D and D/A sides

Analog stage electrolytic capacitor upgrade on A/D and D/A sides

A/D and D/A converter decoupling

A/D converter upgrade

External Microclock Bundle

The 003r + Signature modification does not include the 2nd linear power supply or internal Signature clock due to space limitations. Instead, we upgrade the A/D converter chips to higher headroom chips, and bundle in the external Micro Clock Mk2.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Nate

Black Lion Audio
1800 W Cuyler Ave.
Suite 2 East
Chicago, IL. 60613
773-549-1885
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

No where on the site is the 003+ specifically mentioned. Seeing the lack of information I think it would be reasonable to enquire about this before committing to the mod! But thats just me!
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

If i had the model with extra preamps which wasn't specifically mentioned on the site, I'd be inclined to ask if there were extra costs incurred. (i would expect to pay more as there are more components to mod right?)

however if as you say you did this, and were given a price for that particular unit to be modded, it would be worth presenting a copy of the quote/correspondence to them for them to honour. Perhaps some confusion was induced with such small differences in the model codes?
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

If they haven't done or hadn't done the work yet, they aren't under any obligation to "honour" any price. They could jack the price up to anything they want as long as they informed you prior to commencing. You can always refuse to have it done, they can always refuse to do the job.

It's not like a merchant selling a mis-priced good where you take it up to the counter and they are obligated to sell it for that price.

And it's pretty reasonable and easily understandable that a job which will obviously take more labour and materials would be proportionally higher.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

It best to just forgive them for the miscomunication. The additional $500.00 is what it takes to get your 003r+f modded. it's gonna be sweet!
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Since what they are referring to is the 003R and NOT the 003R+, which is a different product than 003R, their announcement of a fee for 003R should not be taken as a blanket fee for everything that starts with 003R. So there's nothing to honour in there as far as 003R+ products are concerned. URLs don't count as part of the page content. Otherwise you'd have to make sense of the question marks in php/asp based website URLs as well.

Their case sounds fair to me. Cough up the extra $500 if you want yours done. There's a hell of a work involved in that modification.

B.
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac

They also do not provide you with the power supply upgrade on the 003+ due to space restrictions -- that's 12db headroom you're forfeiting (if I'm not mistaken) that you would be getting in the standard 003 upgrade. One of the main reasons I still haven't got the upgrade is the fact that I was wanting to buy an 003+ for the additional I/O and haven't made a decision yet... tough one.
Old 30th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmob View Post
They also do not provide you with the power supply upgrade on the 003+ due to space restrictions -- that's 12db headroom you're forfeiting (if I'm not mistaken) that you would be getting in the standard 003 upgrade. One of the main reasons I still haven't got the upgrade is the fact that I was wanting to buy an 003+ for the additional I/O and haven't made a decision yet... tough one.
The 003+ doesn't have any additional outs, and the only thing that's additional on the ins is preamps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search