The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fatso: On mix bus or drum bus?
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

Fatso: On mix bus or drum bus?

For all the Fatso owners, which do you prefer when mixing rock?
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

In true gearslutz fasion: Just buy another one and you can do both.

I'd say I prefer drum bus, but I mix on an SSL so I use the quad bus on the mix, I would consider throwing it on the mix if I didn't have this available. Also great for vocals sometimes
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

For rock these are my usual starting patches:

DURING the mix I prefer strapped across the drum SAMPLE + OH's & Rooms buss paralleled against the full kit.

At the end I will print the mix and then run the entire mix through it.

When you have two I will do this:

During the mix One on drum sample + OH & room bus and one on any synthetic or piano instruments

After I print the mix I will send it through Mid-side style.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

I should have said that I usually use it parallel on drum bus (or summit DCL 200)
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Addict

Wow, so you guys ike the unit so much you prefer to use it for the drum bus and master bus.

<< At the end I will print the mix and then run the entire mix through it. >>

Doesn't that change the mix radically? If find that even when hitting the comp lightly and warmness on 1 or 2 that the low and high end are pretty different.
Old 25th June 2009
I would say sub bus of various types. In addition to drums, it sounds excellent on electric guitar bus and synth bus, and sometimes vocal & acoustic guitar bus.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

I started using it on the drum bus, now it's permanently on my mix buss. The "spank" is a great limiter, you can compress the hell out of a mix with no audible artifacts having that ultra-aggressive distressoresque character. You have to have it on your bus from the beginning though, even a few dB of compression may call for adjustments.
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Addict

<< I would say sub bus of various types. In addition to drums, it sounds excellent on electric guitar bus and synth bus, and sometimes vocal & acoustic guitar bus. >>

Maybe I'll try this on my next mix instead of using it on the master.

I'm starting a mix tomorrow that has a sort of "G Love and Special Sauce" (bluesy, organic rock) sort of sound. Perhaps I'll use the Fatso on a misc bus (drums, gtr) and the SSL or Ren comp on master.

What do you all think?
Old 25th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
<< I would say sub bus of various types. In addition to drums, it sounds excellent on electric guitar bus and synth bus, and sometimes vocal & acoustic guitar bus. >>

Maybe I'll try this on my next mix instead of using it on the master.

I'm starting a mix tomorrow that has a sort of "G Love and Special Sauce" (bluesy, organic rock) sort of sound. Perhaps I'll use the Fatso on a misc bus (drums, gtr) and the SSL or Ren comp on master.

What do you all think?

Bluesy and organic is percect for the FATSO. If you only have one Fatso, just process DAW - D/A/D - DAW on a few different things. You could even do a lighter version with less color to two tracks and a heavier version on a seperate pair of tracks and then turn those on and off on the song where appropriate (since you'll already be set up for drums or guitars or whatever). Then use the SSL lightly on the two bus.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks for the tip Nathan! Gonna start the mix tomorrow.
Old 17th May 2011
Here for the gear

i love it on the drum bus. i thought it narrowed the stereo field when i put it on the mix bus. i just got a dramstic audio for the mix bus. so far may favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
For all the Fatso owners, which do you prefer when mixing rock?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search