The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
q for split console/ pt hd users
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

q for split console/ pt hd users

i'm looking at a trident split console.

the users are sending the direct outs from the channel on the console's patchbay to feed pro tools while tracking. it works.

with the design of this desk, wouldn't i patch the tape sends to pt, and pt out to the tape returns to monitor from the monitor section of the trident while tracking? would this be the alternative? would this be the traditional way to do it? am i totally f'ing wrong?

any other suggestions? anything i'm totally missing? any other ways to do it?

spare no detail if you have the time.

also, if anyone is currently using this set up, can i buy a 'phone consultation from you at your hourly rate?

thanks in advance,
dbx160
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

I've never used a trident so this is only "general terms". What's the board, out of interest?

That would be the traditional way of dealing with your recorder whatever that would be.

If the console has direct outs it's normally better to use those as you avoid the extra circuitry and amp and get a slightly cleaner/shorter path, but you don't get any subgrouping options depending how it is wired. That's not much of an issue with PT as you have far less need to group stuff due to track counts.

If you have the channels I'd suggest bringing your PT outs directly down another set of channels so you get the large fader and can EQ, add inserts, mix etc.. as you work. Its a great way of working quickly.
Old 24th June 2009
yes, that would be the traditional way of working, as if you were working with a tape machine. if you are working with bands on a budget, i suggest summing in the box while tracking, and doing headphones of of PT headphone outs.

this will be recallable and simple.
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

hi mark,
thanks for your reply.
the board is an old mta 980. i think it can be argued it's not a trident.

that makes a lot sense about using a shorter signal path. i'll try it that way just so i can wrap my brain around it, then leave it with the direct outs.

"If you have the channels I'd suggest bringing your PT outs directly down another set of channels so you get the large fader and can EQ, add inserts, mix etc.. as you work. Its a great way of working quickly."

by this do you mean use channels 17-32 for outs?

thanks again, mark

anything else i should consider, please inform me!
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Just read up about it. Trident - Series 90 Description

EDIT: oops, wrong one.

Yes, that's exactly how I had my board laid out many moons ago. 1-16 for inputs and 17-32 for tape/DAW returns. Aswell as letting you work quick it also has the bonus of leaving you working closer to the centre section come mix time too!

Hopefully someone with some actual experience with one can chime in, rather than my speculative rambling.

Oh, and welcome to GS!

Last edited by MarkRB; 24th June 2009 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: read wrong
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

thanks shane- good suggestion.

thanks anyway mark.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search