Seamus
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Nut

I got a Fet 47 and a U87 for $200 each.
The 47 was way dented and I sent it to Klaus Heyne,
The U87 needed the capsule cleaned.
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Nut

my first guitar. it's a yamaha that was bought for me for $200 on my 16th birthday. it's still my favorite guitar. i'm not sure why it sounds so sweet and the action is so good. i feel like one day i'm going to find out that it's really worth $10,000. kinda like those cheezy antique shows.
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Head

I got a Rode NT-2000 on ebay for $275 about a year and a half ago. Sounds great and it's not even B-Stock.
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Fxpansion BFD
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Peavey Classic50 4x10 modded $200.
Aphex Compellor $100.
Meek JM47 $69
My ADC 96 tt bays $85 each.
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

some of my own many "finds".....
a 50's guitar amp for 8 bucks (thanks to my wife yard saleing)
a shack pzm for a few bucks.
some cheap cassette decks for feeding musicians cans for a couple of bucks/free.
an old korean dynamic mic...that looks like junk but actually sounds pretty good on some guitar amps for a couple of bucks.
and of course powertracks from pgmusic for 29 (now 49 bucks) bucks that gives me 48 tracks of audio and midi recording/editing/fx etc.
and thanks to drdelta on here i'm having a ball with the free Trap drum sampler from kvr that uses real drum samples.
and lots of other stuff ive picked up including free mics and thrown away guitar amps etc.
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Head

Fun thread.

Well these are mine goodies:

5 Sennheisers MD421 for a total of 70,- euro's (one white coloured),
1 Sennheider MD422 for free,
2 Shure SM91 together for 200,- euro's from a courthouse in Surinam. Nope, did not took them from there with me ,but bought them in a shop in Holland. The shop had around 30 of these. Sold them all within a week.
1 Neumann KM84i for 200,- euro's,
1 NeumannKM84i for 100,- euro's, old but both working heh

Other stuff:

Korg DL5000R 60,- euro's. way more cool then a TC D2,
4 Auratones for 50,- euro's, the guy had 3, gave one for free and later he found the fourth, which he gave me also for free, nice guy thumbsup
2 Studer power amps, for 100,- euro's
SKB 4 units shock rack for 160,- euro's

In most cases it is just being there on the right time with some cash to spare.

Angelo
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

1) Sennheiser HD-650 headphones (yes, I found 'em new for $285) -- These cans sound unbelievable. I break them out on special occasions.

2) Sony SCD-2000ES SACD Player (~$250) -- Take one of your favorite albums, especially one that you *think* you know inside and out, then listen to it after it's been properly remastered for stereo SACD. The detail and transient clarity are amazing even when compared to a well engineered/mastered CD. Listening to a few stellar SACDs inspired me to re-focus on my engineering skills.

3) EH Deluxe Memory Man (~$200) -- Big knobs + analog modulation = wacky fun

-Synth80s
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Maniac

SM7

I also suspect my seventh circle C84s will be quite the deal for $150, once I get them built.
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Nut

Yamaha TX81Z for $50

Don't laugh... with a software editor and some patience, you can get some pretty interesting sounds out of this thing. Not to mention it can sound absolutely unreal if you put it through a good fliter... a comb filter can make the metallic tones it does go from kinda boring to "what the hell is that?!?".
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

This is a little OT, but those record company compilation CD's are often an easy way to get 15 or 20 different, current reference mixes for $5 or so (less or even free sometimes!).

Of course, the credits list usually leaves much to be desired.
Old 15th September 2005
8 shure 545's for $60
3 shure 546's for $30
sansamp bass di $125 (i friggin love this thing)
acrolite, $55
sabian pro 13" hats and 20" ride $90
motu 1224 $120
two pentron tube mixers from the 60's $9 each
two optimus pzm's $9 each
double iron cobra pedal $150
mexi p-bass $120

my 5 peice mapex mars was $310 so I guess I cant count that, but it was a sweet deal

dont get me started on the free **** I've got
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

Pair of Silver face Urei LA4s. $20............
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

i found a Neumann KM56 in a box of old ham radio mics. It cost me $8 (and then another $275 for a new AC701K). God bless flea markets.
Old 15th September 2005
Gear Nut

ala greg:

there is a cd warehouse that has sales on singles and radio promo cds, they go for 10 cents a piece. Cant have too much reference material!

and my guild s-300 ad: $175 I love this guitar! get one you wont be dissappointed.

carl
Old 15th September 2005
Sans Amp Bass DI driver
Senn 441
2 x AKG c418
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 88 - £200 about 10yrs ago.
Sorry to rub it in - mine was $100 (Cdn!) in 'mint' condition...

other contenders:

Korg digital tuner - $40
Ibanez stereo chorus (great on the rhodes!) - $20
RNC - $190
airport card for this old powerbook - $130
pr of Ward Beck pre's - $200
old 57 and 58 for $50/pr.

the list could be long(er)...
Old 15th September 2005
Gear Nut

Reason 1.0 (I think it was less than $299 when it came out)
generic classical guitar that just happens to sound great $40
Milwaukee 18 volt hammer drill $240
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

1960 Hammond M3 in perfect condition $25. They sell things by the pound at the last Goodwill stop before the dump.

Wurlitzer 200 piano...black case...one reed out $11.
Old 15th September 2005
Gear Head

Cheap gear

I actually picked up a clavinet that was literally kept in a guys close with the paper tags still on the handle for $150 and about a year later picked up a mint leslie 147 from an Estate for $250.

You get that little feeling in your gut like you just did something very very wrong...

... but it passes
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

It was just over 300 bucks but about a year ago I went garage saleing with my gf and we past a house with some drums setting out. I yelled stop and got out. The drums were in flawless condition, the guy said they sat in a studio for 20 years. I bought them because it was the 5 piece set with cymbals and stands and a "drum box" that held everything but the drums and was on wheels. Well I couldn't pass it up eventhough I knew it was too old to do anything with. Well after getting home and opening the box i found the brochure for the drums and one for the cymbals, I had purchased a set of 1982 Mahogany Tama Imperialstars. I figured these were just an older version of rockstars turns out guys like terry bozzio and lars uhlrich used these kits until about 85 when the maple starclassics came out. They're amazing sounding drums when tuned up, great for metal, and like I said they are litterally flawless. I got on Vintagedrums.com and a single tom that looks like my kit is going for 500 bucks, I think I made a wise investment.
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

-2 DBX 163x - $50 each

-Used keyboard hard case for my pedalboard - $40

-TEAC 80-8 - $130, works perfectly. The store couldn't test it 'cause they had no
tape or reels!! Gee, I have like 8 reels or so... SNAG

-Symetrix 501 - $100

-Line 6 echo pedal - $190

-Samick "greg bennet" les paul copy - $250. Absolutely stupid how great this
guitar is.

-Behringer ADA-8000 - $190. Hate to admit owning it, but... sounds pretty good.

-AKG 414 TLII - no actual money, but trade for slaving for over 8 months, meticulously recording and producing a record for my friend's
band. He was the singer, had bought this mic right before we started. Also had
an Aphex 107 to go with it. When we were done and he had no money, I was
like... gimme. And he did. I'm so glad he had no money. I would spend it better
now, but back then I would have spent it on way stupider stuff than the Aphex
and the 414. Turns out the 414TLII is the most perfect match for my
guitar amp in the whole entire world. (fender pro junior) Sounds wonderful every time.
Old 15th September 2005
Gear Addict

fender precision bass. mexican. had holes drilled in it. sounds amazing and i record with it all the time. $200

supro amp 6 inch speaker. sounds like a stack. record with it lots. nobody believes the sounds come from that little thing. $250

turner dynamic microphone $30. great for rock guitars. low fi perfection.

lots more, but i just realised that the thread calls for one item. too late for that, but i will stop there.

best regards,
rlnyc
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnyc

supro amp 6 inch speaker. sounds like a stack. record with it lots. nobody believes the sounds come from that little thing. $250

rlnyc
Love that amp - used one often in the previous place, and a great friend/jazz guitarist loved it, and didn't want to return it to it's owner...

Wish I had it here with me now...
Old 16th September 2005
Gear Nut

I got 9 racked neumann PV46 line amps for around $300 a few years back. Had a tech put gain attenuators in them and run phantom power. Now they are some seriously kickass pres. Use them all the time. They kill on snare, gtrs. Great for midrangey stuff.
Shaun
Old 16th September 2005
Gear Nut

Just remebered, I also got a Moog Prodigy for $75. Didn't work when I got it but spent $50 fixing it and it has worked like a charm ever since.
Old 16th September 2005
Lives for gear

JBL 4311's Mint Condition - for $24 dollars at Housing Works NYC
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Two things I just got in the last two days which go together like peanut butter & jelly:

1) Groove Tubes (pre-SWR) Bass Preamp $250. Looks like the SWR SM-400...same controls (apparently, the same designers!)...DI/XLR out

2) dbx 160x compressor $200 -- plug a bass into the GT --> 160x and look out!
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Shure switchable attenuator SHA15AS. Inline pad. About $40.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search