The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
M-Patch 2 Loss of Right Channels!
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Nut

M-Patch 2 Loss of Right Channels!

Why why why...???

Alright, got a barely used almost new MPatch2 last week. Hooked it up to switch between two sets of monitors and two computers. Worked great up thru last night.

Today, turn on my do-everything-but-DAW computer (call it #1, channeled thru AUX in MPatch2), no sound. Hm. (#1 has M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card.)

Turn on DAW computer (call it #2 thru STEREO in MPatch2), works fine, both channels thru both sets of speakers work. (Presonus Firepod audio interface.)

Check everything on #1 (control panel, sound... etc.), nothing. I reboot computer. Left channels on both sets of speakers now work, right channels don't work. Here's what I've done:
  • Checked all cables. All good.
  • Pressed depressed pressed again and again the buttons. Nope.
  • Turned AUX volume fast up and down to see if... whatever happens. Nope.
  • With outputs centered in Volume Control (thru control panel) and mono set on MPatch2, the left channel is passed thru to the right speakers. On stereo, no output of right channel.
  • Switched inputs and outputs right to left, left to right. Definitely Right channel in AUX of MPatch2 not working.
  • Hooked speakers directly to M-Audio sound card bypassing MPatch2, they work fine.
  • Rebooted 5 times.
  • Swear, curse, whine, plead, bang my head, yell at my wife. Nothing works.
Any thoughts, advice? (Actually, I know not to yell again tutt so no need for that advice.) Help Please.

Thanks, Perry
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear
It's a passive switch box. Open it up, look for bad solder joints or any otherwise suspect connections/connectors. Any reasonably intelligent person who understands signal flow and/or basic electronics should be able to diagnose this problem.

You even said it yourself...To me it sounds like the right input connector on the AUX input is the problem. Or a bad cable that you missed... maybe an intermittent connector?

And don't yell at your wife for a malfunctioning monitor switcher. Save that for when she spills wine on your console, or something more catastrophic.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Nut

Yup, guess I'll do that, open it and check. I'm at least reasonably intelligent, just very inexperienced with electronics. And always willing to learn. Just so frustrated right now, was hoping for "oh yeah, just do blah blah blah and..."

I've spent months preparing and setting up to be ready this week for an intensive period of summer music making and recording a long long loooong overdue and anticipated solo project, including selling a bunch of equipment (amps, guitars, pedals, lots more), buying and building a new home studio with new DAW computer, new Great River MP-2NV (Thanks Shagghie!), new mics, room treatments, more (Thanks GearSlutz!). I have a discreet 6 weeks of time to do/start a project, fairly new at home recording. NOW, this week finally comes, AND IN ADDITION TO THIS MPATCH2 SWITCH GLITCH, MY DAW COMPUTER STARTS SERIOUSLY MALFUNCKTIONING TODAY!!! Not going to get into it here, but, MY GOD, can't anything be EASY and GLITCH FREE with DAW recording?!

OK, actually, I'm blessed and full of gratitude for a rich life, but man oh man...

Perry
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Nut

Now It's Working...

As of late last night it works. Is anyone else having issues with their MPatch2 like this, where it works intermittently?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search